Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   General Forum (read only) (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Balance reason 6 upgrade (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=169599)

Akarisound 2012-10-22 22:44

Balance reason 6 upgrade

Hi, I'm thinking of buying balance pretty soon, and I'm probably going to give my essentials license to a friend so he can upgrade to reason 6.5 for a good price.
I'm just wondering if I as the owner of the balance have to upgrade to reason 6.5 and then transfer the license or maybe if I should give him my old license and keep the one coupled with the balance in order to get the cheapest upgrade price.

Basically, what's the best way of going through with this?

n0ahg 2012-10-23 00:05

If you have an existing Reason license then if you register the bundled Reason Essentials you will also receive a free upgrade of your existing license to Reason 6.x

You can then transfer Reason Essentials to your friend and he can buy the £139 Reason 6.x upgrade to get the full package :)

Akarisound 2012-10-23 00:22

So the version of essentials that comes bundled with balance is a special one that can be upgraded for a better price, meaning you don't have to have balance registered to your account to be applicable for the cheaper upgrade?

reasoner498 2012-10-23 06:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by n0ahg"
You can then transfer Reason Essentials to your friend and he can buy the £139 Reason 6.x upgrade to get the full package

I'm fairly certain that this is incorrect.

I had 2 Essentials licenses from the Balance. I used 1 license to upgrade a copy of Reason 3 to 6/6.5.

I then contacted Propellerhead and asked them which Essentials license I could transfer without affecting my Reason license.

They told me which one, and it was only the license that wasn't used for the upgrade.

So I'm fairly confident that if the Essentials license is used to upgrade an older Reason license, it becomes bundled to the Reason licenses.

reasoner498 2012-10-23 06:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Akarisound
So the version of essentials that comes bundled with balance is a special one that can be upgraded for a better price, meaning you don't have to have balance registered to your account to be applicable for the cheaper upgrade?

This is correct.

If you have an older version of Reason, and you registers this version, you'll be upgraded to 6/6.5 automatically. Id on't thisnk you can then transfer the Essentials license alone. See my post above.

If you don't register it, you can give it to your friend, and he can upgrade it for the normal Reason upgrade price, the same as if you upgraded Reason 1-5.

If you're looking for the "cheapest" upgrade price, then that would be to register the Essentials license and receive the free upgrade.

As for who gets the Essentials license and who get the old Reason license... either way, the upgrade price is the same, since they use the same upgrade. So if you want to help your friend out, the easiest thing to do is to just give him the Essentials license. That way you don't have to do the whole transfer process.

n0ahg 2012-10-23 08:44

When you buy Balance with Reason Essentials there is no registration for Balance. When you register the bundled Reason Essentials it is a separate license BUT if you already have a previous version of Reason on your account that Reason license will be upgraded to Reason 6.x. You can then transfer the Reason Essentials to someone else as I stated above as the Reason Essentials license is in no way linked to your final Reason 6.x

reasoner498 2012-10-23 13:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by n0ahg
When you buy Balance with Reason Essentials there is no registration for Balance. When you register the bundled Reason Essentials it is a separate license BUT if you already have a previous version of Reason on your account that Reason license will be upgraded to Reason 6.x. You can then transfer the Reason Essentials to someone else as I stated above as the Reason Essentials license is in no way linked to your final Reason 6.x

As I stated, my interaction with Propellerhead supports suggests that the Essentials license used for upgrading an older version of Reason is then tied to the upgraded version of Reason.

No offense, but as there isn't a "Propellerhead" next to your forum name, I feel that the info that I got from Prop support outweighs what you're saying.

Now, maybe I misunderstood what they told me, and as such, it would be wise for OP to clarify the matter directly with Propellerhead before licensing Essentials.

n0ahg 2012-10-23 16:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by reasoner498 (Post 1162218)
As I stated, my interaction with Propellerhead supports suggests that the Essentials license used for upgrading an older version of Reason is then tied to the upgraded version of Reason.

No offense, but as there isn't a "Propellerhead" next to your forum name, I feel that the info that I got from Prop support outweighs what you're saying.

Now, maybe I misunderstood what they told me, and as such, it would be wise for OP to clarify the matter directly with Propellerhead before licensing Essentials.

No offence but I don't see "Propellerhead" next to your forum name either!

I agree, it would be best to contact support as there is a lot of misinformation on these forums.