Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   General Forum (read only) (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Old School Musicians (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=169988)

davidallenherrick 2012-10-29 00:52

Old School Musicians

I remember 30 years ago sitting on a grassy hillside talking to my childhood buddy's about forming a Band and what instruments to play! I know Curt said. I want to play guitar and my other friend Richard said I want to play drums. Well I sat there for a moment and said well I want to play Keyboards! So after that we all went home to tell our Parents the good new's! Well at the time we all thought it was a GREAT Idea until Mom and Dad explained the prices of things so for me Keyboards were out. ...Considering they were $2000.00 dollars or more so I got together with my buddy's back then and asked them what other instruments are there? And they replied well there is Bass Guitar. At the time I didn't even know what one was! So I went back to my Mom and Dad and told them of the new discovery and to my surprise they said Yes! And come the following Christmas I had my New Sears Bass Guitar and a 15 watt amp! What a thrill! My first song was smoke on the water by Deep Purple! My point I would Love Reason to be able to give me all the real old school ways of putting together a musical band with a Drummer a Guitar player and a Bassist and a Rhythm guitar player and Make AWESOME recordings!

dub08 2012-10-29 01:09

Hi David! Welcome to the reason family
A lot if us here have similar stories (mine might be 20 not 30yrs :p)

I still can't believe I started on a 4 track fostex....but then, my Dad was home recording in the 60's with an Akai reel-to-reel one track! :)

davidallenherrick 2012-10-29 01:27

Analog Man by Joe Walsh! He say's it all! My purpose I want more real Instruments from PH Marshall stacks Tube amps Peavy! Joe Satriani sounds Pink floyd David Gilmore sweet sustain! Billy Coban Drum Beats !...The list goes ON! Peace!

Arsenic 2012-10-29 09:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by dub08 (Post 1166365)
Hi David! Welcome to the reason family
A lot if us here have similar stories (mine might be 20 not 30yrs :p)

I still can't believe I started on a 4 track fostex....but then, my Dad was home recording in the 60's with an Akai reel-to-reel one track! :)

May as well keep the increments in line - very similar experience only more like 40 years ago :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by davidallenherrick (Post 1166375)
Analog Man by Joe Walsh! He say's it all! My purpose I want more real Instruments from PH Marshall stacks Tube amps Peavy! Joe Satriani sounds Pink floyd David Gilmore sweet sustain! Billy Coban Drum Beats !...The list goes ON! Peace!

I ended up as a bass player, as well, through choice. I still have my very first bass.

Anyway, there have been a few threads by people wanting more guitar effects, mainly saying that the Line 6 stuff in Reason doesn't cut it. Other people have suggested a few alternatives.

1. Try using the other effects such as Pulveriser, Echo, Scream and RV7000, either with or without some of the Line 6 devices.

2. There really is no substitute for recording a guitar by mic'ing up your amp and recording the tone you would normally use.

3. Connect your guitar to your effects pedals as you normally would, and then plug into your interface, that way, you are close to your original sound, and then you can tweak it with the on-board Reason devices.

To be fair, there are merits in all the above suggestions, but I appreciate that some people want a plug 'n' go solution - in other words, more Line 6, or another company, effects, amp and speaker models.

Me? I can't really play any more for reasons I won't go into here, but when I do manage to lay down a bass line, I have started by recording it clean, and then add effects and tweak them, until I get what I'm looking for - or close to it.

I am sure that with the right interface/mixer, you could record a full band in reason. Try searching the forums, Ttere may be threads about this already.

Kovkov 2012-10-29 10:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by davidallenherrick (Post 1166358)
My point I would Love Reason to be able to give me all the real old school ways of putting together a musical band with a Drummer a Guitar player and a Bassist and a Rhythm guitar player and Make AWESOME recordings!

That's absolutely possible. Didn't try the recording part myself, but i have allready mixed and "mastered" real instrument recordings in reason.

ayello 2012-10-29 15:56

Yes, i agree, i started in 1973 with a big sparkling blue Eko bass connected to my Grand Pa Tube radio, playing along to Surfin Usa, by the Beach boys.
Reason can be used as a traditional multitrack recorder
Take a look at my first signature link :-)

Best
Michel

davidallenherrick 2012-10-30 23:07

You guy's or Gals here at PH are all awesome I've been learning so much from all of you and the learning never stops! I to was wondering about just mic'ing my rigs. I now play guitar as well and always have been dedicated to my bass ax. I have a Schecter Hellraiser 4 I'm currently using and I have to be honest it is't a Rickenbacker which was My second bass but it certainly is a mirror image best bass I've played since my Rick. I use to have a Peavy Mark 3 into a 2-10 1-18 cab awesome amp for a teenager now I'm running a Peavy TNT 1-15 and a 4-10 cab @ 600 watts. I will def try mic'ing though and as far as PH goes I'm sure they wont disappoint us!

jimidriftwood1 2012-10-30 23:22

Reason give u can give the absolute in making music. take your time or pump it out. its up to to the musician .no matter what kind of music you make . if you hear blues thats what comes out i,f you hear drums and bass, then thats it . its you .the instrument does not make u ,u make the instrument

dmcghee 2012-10-31 03:21

I'm recording my Fender Precision Bass thru a Line 6 Hd Pod. This thing have some really great tones
better than whats inside the Reason Line 6 Models. There are a ton of Custom Tones you can download for
free.