Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   Music Forum (read only) (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   My debut album recorded in Reason 6.5. Classic synth-pop & ambient (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=170048)

UberJimm 2012-10-30 02:32

My debut album recorded in Reason 6.5. Classic synth-pop & ambient
 
Finally finished my album!! It's been a labour of love 25 years in the making. I used Reason for more than 90% of the recording and arranging. Musically I drew upon the influences of early-OMD, Kraftwerk, New Order, Depeche Mode, Joy Division and Enigma.

The lead-off track (Knockin On The Sky) screams OMD & early New Order. I hope you enjoy it as much as I enjoyed making it. :)

http://eminessence.bandcamp.com/album/iridescent

Special thanks to: BitleyTM, Jiggery-Pokery, Nucleus SoundLabs, Reasonbanks, eXode, EditEd4TV, New Atlantis Audio, Peff, G-Force, Softube, U-He, Flower Audio, and of course, Propellerhead!!

Cheers,

J

carlgrace 2012-10-30 02:55

Wow Jimm,

Good stuff! You have a lot of self-knowledge... most of your descriptions of your influences were right on. Love, love, love, the cover art. Really gorgeous and very OMD. Did you design it yourself?

Knocking on the Sky really did feel like a mix of OMD and early new order. If you did the pluck parts with sloppy guitar playing it would feel even more early New Order.

My favorite was probably My Greatest Love. The melody was quite beautiful... I especially liked the bell tone melody. Would love to hear it with lyrics! The vocoder bit sounds a lot like Electrik Music so you were right on with the Karl Bartos influence.

Chasing Ghosts really did sound like it should be in Drive. Not during a chase but during an atmospheric scene while you're watching the city go by. I was drive all around LA myself yesterday... should have had this track playing (I was listening to Andy Bell's Electric Blue instead!).

CrytpoTerrestrial sounded really early 80s to me... I think it could have gone on OMD Sugar Tax. Did you use a Korg M1 sample for the choir?

MHK is great! Reminds me of more recent OMD. I can hear the Anything Box influence as well but it's too structurally complex to be an Anything Box track ;)

Free at Last is another really nice OMD-type track. They are probably your biggest influences!

When the End Justifies the Means is a nice outro track... I love the drum fill you programmed right before the synth comes in... fits the track perfectly!

I really liked this, Jimm. I'm so glad to hear a bunch of original material from you, because I know you spend most of your creative time working on other people's stuff.

Cheers!
Carl

UberJimm 2012-10-30 04:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by carlgrace (Post 1166950)
Wow Jimm,

Good stuff! You have a lot of self-knowledge... most of your descriptions of your influences were right on. Love, love, love, the cover art. Really gorgeous and very OMD. Did you design it yourself?

Knocking on the Sky really did feel like a mix of OMD and early new order. If you did the pluck parts with sloppy guitar playing it would feel even more early New Order.

My favorite was probably My Greatest Love. The melody was quite beautiful... I especially liked the bell tone melody. Would love to hear it with lyrics! The vocoder bit sounds a lot like Electrik Music so you were right on with the Karl Bartos influence.

Chasing Ghosts really did sound like it should be in Drive. Not during a chase but during an atmospheric scene while you're watching the city go by. I was drive all around LA myself yesterday... should have had this track playing (I was listening to Andy Bell's Electric Blue instead!).

CrytpoTerrestrial sounded really early 80s to me... I think it could have gone on OMD Sugar Tax. Did you use a Korg M1 sample for the choir?

MHK is great! Reminds me of more recent OMD. I can hear the Anything Box influence as well but it's too structurally complex to be an Anything Box track ;)

Free at Last is another really nice OMD-type track. They are probably your biggest influences!

When the End Justifies the Means is a nice outro track... I love the drum fill you programmed right before the synth comes in... fits the track perfectly!

I really liked this, Jimm. I'm so glad to hear a bunch of original material from you, because I know you spend most of your creative time working on other people's stuff.

Cheers!
Carl

Mega thanks, Carl! It's been a big relief to get it done & finally out there for the world to hear. After decades of working in bands & producing other people's work, it's nice to finally do something for myself & stand on my own. You're a fellow synth-pop aficionado, so your opinion matters a great deal to me. Thanks for taking the time to check it out & for the great feedback! I look forward to the next Some Desperate Glory release.

:)

Cheers,


J

Lunesis 2012-10-30 06:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by UberJimm (Post 1166941)
Finally finished my album!! It's been a labour of love 25 years in the making. I used Reason for more than 90% of the recording and arranging. Musically I drew upon the influences of early-OMD, Kraftwerk, New Order, Depeche Mode, Joy Division and Enigma.

The lead-off track (Knockin On The Sky) screams OMD & early New Order. I hope you enjoy it as much as I enjoyed making it. :)

http://eminessence.bandcamp.com/album/iridescent

Special thanks to: BitleyTM, Jiggery-Pokery, Nucleus SoundLabs, Reasonbanks, eXode, EditEd4TV, New Atlantis Audio, Peff, G-Force, Softube, U-He, Flower Audio, and of course, Propellerhead!!

Cheers,

J

I have to say I really love the drums in the first track, and that gating synth. Very nice sound! I'm going to bed now but I will definitely come back for a listen to the rest.

UberJimm 2012-10-30 14:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lunesis (Post 1166979)
I have to say I really love the drums in the first track, and that gating synth. Very nice sound! I'm going to bed now but I will definitely come back for a listen to the rest.

Thanks a bunch, man! I had to keep dialing back the low end EQ on the drums for that track, but I think I finally got a good balance on it. I totally forgot to give a big nod of respect to you as well. Unless I'm mistaken, you created some signature patches for the Fairlight refill, didn't you? I used your CS-80 patch on a few of my songs. :)

Cheers,


J

UberJimm 2012-10-30 15:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by carlgrace (Post 1166950)
Wow Jimm,

Good stuff! You have a lot of self-knowledge... most of your descriptions of your influences were right on. Love, love, love, the cover art. Really gorgeous and very OMD. Did you design it yourself?

Knocking on the Sky really did feel like a mix of OMD and early new order. If you did the pluck parts with sloppy guitar playing it would feel even more early New Order.

My favorite was probably My Greatest Love. The melody was quite beautiful... I especially liked the bell tone melody. Would love to hear it with lyrics! The vocoder bit sounds a lot like Electrik Music so you were right on with the Karl Bartos influence.

Chasing Ghosts really did sound like it should be in Drive. Not during a chase but during an atmospheric scene while you're watching the city go by. I was drive all around LA myself yesterday... should have had this track playing (I was listening to Andy Bell's Electric Blue instead!).

CrytpoTerrestrial sounded really early 80s to me... I think it could have gone on OMD Sugar Tax. Did you use a Korg M1 sample for the choir?

MHK is great! Reminds me of more recent OMD. I can hear the Anything Box influence as well but it's too structurally complex to be an Anything Box track ;)

Free at Last is another really nice OMD-type track. They are probably your biggest influences!

When the End Justifies the Means is a nice outro track... I love the drum fill you programmed right before the synth comes in... fits the track perfectly!

I really liked this, Jimm. I'm so glad to hear a bunch of original material from you, because I know you spend most of your creative time working on other people's stuff.

Cheers!
Carl

Sorry I didn't get to answer some of your questions in my first reply...........

The sleeve design was made by a good friend of mine named Ty. I simply gave him some ideas & let him work his magic. I showed him some of my favourite Peter Saville designs & he came back with the design which currently displays. I love it! :)

Knockin On The Sky - I tried to get the feel of the strings from New Order's Your Silent Face and Age Of Consent. I used JP's Solina & Eminent 310 combinators from his Retrospective refill in conjunction with a few other Arp-based refills I have. Layered 'em & tweaked 'em a bit to suit the sound I was looking for. I even layed down a Peter Hook-style bass line with a bass guitar, but didn't ultimately like the way it turned out, so I took it in more of the OMD direction & added some more synth.

My Greatest Love - Thanks for the kind words. It's one of my favourites too! I was totally trying to pull off an Elektric Music vocoder vibe to it. So pleased you picked up on that :) The bell patch came off my Yamaha FS1R. The lyrics are quite sentimental & sappy. But one thing I've learned in my many years of doing music is that I should stay well away from a microphone. So I'm just waiting for the right singer to bring it to life.

CryptoTerrestrial - I composed this one for a Danish TV production company which ended up going bankrupt before they finished their documentary, so the song never ended up getting used. I didn't use any M-1 patches on this track. Believe it or not, all the patches with the exception of the strings came from the Reason FSB. I used a Roland XP-30 for the pizzicato strings & stabs.

MHK - I tried a bit of the same formula for this one as I did with Knockin On The Sky, which is to say lots of Solina & Eminent strings & a healthy dose of Mellotron. The Anything Box bit to me would be the main underlying synth arpeggiation. I was listening to their hit album Peace during part of my writing process. I'm a huge fan of Claude S. Your praise for this track is very humbling. :)

When The End Justifies The Means - My close friend came to me with a great melody he'd written & asked me to help him fill it out. So I added some thumpin drums, mellotron from Re-Tron, a healthy dose of Fairlight, and came up with the result you hear on the album. It's also one of my faves.

Free at Last - I was debating whether or not to even put it on the album, as it's in a rather simplistic state as it currently is. I will likely flesh it out a bit more & release it a later date. But yeah...... one more nod to Humphreys & McCluskey..... and Tennant & Lowe.

Thanks so much again for listening & for the great feedback. It really means a lot to me.

Cheers,

J

Lunesis 2012-10-30 18:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by UberJimm (Post 1167137)
Thanks a bunch, man! I had to keep dialing back the low end EQ on the drums for that track, but I think I finally got a good balance on it. I totally forgot to give a big nod of respect to you as well. Unless I'm mistaken, you created some signature patches for the Fairlight refill, didn't you? I used your CS-80 patch on a few of my songs. :)

Cheers,


J

I wish I did, but I can't take credit for any sound design.. I am strictly a songwriter dude. I used to be Dig Team One.

UberJimm 2012-10-30 19:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lunesis (Post 1167318)
I wish I did, but I can't take credit for any sound design.. I am strictly a songwriter dude. I used to be Dig Team One.

Ahh...... yeah, confusion on my part. I knew that you were Dig Team One here on the forums, and the guy who did the signature patch in the Fairlight refill is simply Team One. I apologize for the mix-up. But I am a big fan of your music & songwriting skills. So your critique carries a lot of weight with me. I definitely value your opinion though. One of a handful of people that I do admire for your objectivity & honesty.

Again.... sorry for the mix up on my part, and thanks for checking out my music :)


Cheers,


J

Lunesis 2012-10-30 19:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by UberJimm (Post 1167359)
Ahh...... yeah, confusion on my part. I knew that you were Dig Team One here on the forums, and the guy who did the signature patch in the Fairlight refill is simply Team One. I apologize for the mix-up. But I am a big fan of your music & songwriting skills. So your critique carries a lot of weight with me. I definitely value your opinion though. One of a handful of people that I do admire for your objectivity & honesty.

Again.... sorry for the mix up on my part, and thanks for checking out my music :)


Cheers,


J

Gladly, I'll leave more thorough feedback tonight when I get home from work.

ZKB9 2012-10-30 19:14

Only one way to describe this: Yummy.

Great work, love it!


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 07:22.