Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   General Forum (read only) (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Lazy RE Designs. (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=170072)

SidMercutio 2012-10-30 15:16

Lazy RE Designs.
 
Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone has noticed that most of the RE's popping up lately have terrible UI design? If not that , then the look of it is just....urgh and meh


I mean, They should take a page from Props, Softube, PEFF and U-He. Their RE's look awesome AND it speaks quality when you see that.

Im not saying that the others aren't good and quality working stuff but Props have had a thing about making things look right and solid rather than plain and flat. It gives it an authenticity and accomplished approach.

Iono maybe im just whining but it does hamper what I put money on especially when some don't justify the price and im like "But it looks ugly"

Rucafest 2012-10-30 15:53

Although its what it sounds like that matters most i have to agree that GUI is just has important a factor, specially once you start having a few options in the same categories.

Carnstein 2012-10-30 17:33

Well I believe Audiodamage said that the GUI was the hardest part of making an RE. Perhaps as time goes on and developers get used to it their designs will improve. For the most part I think the REs in the shop look pretty good and each dev has their own style.

BoddAH 2012-10-31 01:09

To be fair the developers you cited aren't he only ones making pretty UIs. Some other recent ones are pretty as well.

Although aesthetics are subjective and the "style" of an RE can't please everyone, I think it's important that developers at least make their REs look professional. No matter how good an RE sounds. If the interface looks like it was made under 10 minutes in MS Paint that's a total deal breaker for me.

I'm looking at you ReStereo.

selig 2012-10-31 02:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carnstein (Post 1167290)
Well I believe Audiodamage said that the GUI was the hardest part of making an RE. Perhaps as time goes on and developers get used to it their designs will improve. For the most part I think the REs in the shop look pretty good and each dev has their own style.

When folks talk about GUI, they mean different things. Some mean the way it looks. Others mean the control choice, size, and position (and number of controls). Others mean the specific interaction between the controls and the code running beneath the front panel.

But for Audiodamage, it probably has more to do with how the GUI is built for Rack Extensions (rather than the graphic design of the panel itself), which is said to be quite complex and unlike other development tools out there. So compared to the relative ease of porting existing DSP code, the GUI has to be totally rebuild from the ground up using mostly unfamiliar tools. :-)

SidMercutio 2012-10-31 13:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by boddah (Post 1167676)
.....i'm looking at you restereo.

hahahahah!!

devilfish 2012-10-31 14:02

Perhaps the best example of bad design (positions / font sizes / arrangements) is the YOKO BAND SPLITTER ..

front and back side are just cruel ..

However, I do not care. the thing is still a fantastic tool!

so what.

Carnstein 2012-10-31 15:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by selig (Post 1167737)
When folks talk about GUI, they mean different things. Some mean the way it looks. Others mean the control choice, size, and position (and number of controls). Others mean the specific interaction between the controls and the code running beneath the front panel.

But for Audiodamage, it probably has more to do with how the GUI is built for Rack Extensions (rather than the graphic design of the panel itself), which is said to be quite complex and unlike other development tools out there. So compared to the relative ease of porting existing DSP code, the GUI has to be totally rebuild from the ground up using mostly unfamiliar tools. :-)

True but I would think that how the controls end up being coded would influence the appearance of the device a fair amount. Granted that is no excuse for the aforementioned ms paint style background.

selig 2012-10-31 16:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carnstein (Post 1168062)
True but I would think that how the controls end up being coded would influence the appearance of the device a fair amount. Granted that is no excuse for the aforementioned ms paint style background.

Not sure what you mean by "coded" - to me that means the range they cover and the 'curve/response' of the control, neither of which would affect the visual impact.

Just pointing out that most folks appear to be speaking first of the "ms paint style background" when they talk about looks (which includes the text/logos etc), then the workflow implied by the knob/slider size/color/position etc. I tend to be much more critical of the latter than the former, but both aspects are a part of the GUI in my understanding of the term. :-)

gwynebiau 2012-10-31 16:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by selig (Post 1168099)
Not sure what you mean by "coded" - to me that means the range they cover and the 'curve/response' of the control, neither of which would affect the visual impact.

Coded is another word for programmed since something written in a computer programming language is generally referred to as code. :) I assume that's what they're referring to here.


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 18:36.