Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   General Forum (read only) (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Is RE technology inferior to VST? (My talk with iZotope’s support) (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=170415)

DimitrisG 2012-11-05 21:45

Is RE technology inferior to VST? (My talk with iZotope’s support)

I noticed at the VST version of iZotope Ozone Maximazer there are three IRC modes while in Reason’s RE version are only two.

IRC modes are absolutely great, the second is better than the first but it uses more CPU and causes more latency. Not a big deal when you only use it for mastering…

In the VST version the third mode (IRC III)is better than all and it uses even more CPU power but with awesome results!

I wondered why the heck as a Reason user and owner of Ozone Maximazer RE I could not have the benefits of the third IRC III mode… So I mailed iZotope asking them how come this thing happens and asked them for an update that includes the IRC III mode.

I want to share with you the answer they gave me:

''Hello,

Thanks for this feedback. We do appreciate the feedback and I will forward this information to our product managers and developers directly for their consideration.

Please do note that this performance restriction comes from the actual proprietary plug-in format specifications created by Propellerheads directly. We do understand the benefit of balancing CPU performance with regards to audio processing quality in specific situations, which is why we implement higher quality algorithms in Ozone 5, at the cost of CPU usage more than typical plug-ins, as it is designed as a Mastering plug-in.

To my knowledge, the Rack Extension plug-in format is designed with the intent to have very high stability and usability across a variety platforms and systems. With these performance restrictions, we are currently unable to implement the IRC III algorithm into this specific plug-in format.''
------------------------------------------------------------------

What does this means? We will never have a high algorithm quality in Reason because developers want it to be stable? Are there crucial restrictions to RE format?

Is RE technology inferior to VST?

I am hoping for an answer because I am really curious!

***Btw if you own Ozone Maximazer mail iZotope and ask them for an update that includes IRC III mode, it’s a must-have because basically is the soul of this plugin, what makes it special.

Thanks!

PsyTale 2012-11-05 22:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by DimitrisG (Post 1171422)
I noticed at the ... what makes it special.

Thanks!

Become a RE Builder and find out :) This discussion about IRC3 has been on the forums before, i dont remember the outcome, but there was a reason :) There always is a REASON! :)

VillaNDubstep 2012-11-05 22:37

I wouldn't say RE's are inferior at all to be honest, there are some very good devices out at the moment and things will only improve. What you have to remember is that RE is a very new concept and as time goes on the SDK will improve and allow devs much more freedom to create and implement more, so you might well see the IRC III mode in reason in the form of an update to the ozone maximiser.

zeebot 2012-11-05 23:39

Considering REs have only been out months not years just think back to the first ever vst devices.
REs are not inferior just different and brand spanking new. Also take into consideration props obsession with stability I think they are just playing it safe.
Once the SDK gets more mature and more refined I'm sure it will match and surpass vst.

DimitrisG 2012-11-05 23:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by PsyTale (Post 1171446)
Become a RE Builder and find out :) This discussion about IRC3 has been on the forums before, i dont remember the outcome, but there was a reason :) There always is a REASON! :)

Its obvious there is a reason, read again how iZotope's support is explaining it. I don't want to know technical details, it is not in my intents to become a RE developer....but only if the current RE format is inferior to VST and can't support high quality algorithms. If its equal to VSTs why don't we have the IRC III mode in Reason?

Can you please point me out where is the discussion for the IRC III? I cant find it anywhere.

Thanks

DimitrisG 2012-11-05 23:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by VillaNDubstep (Post 1171451)
I wouldn't say RE's are inferior at all to be honest, there are some very good devices out at the moment and things will only improve. What you have to remember is that RE is a very new concept and as time goes on the SDK will improve and allow devs much more freedom to create and implement more, so you might well see the IRC III mode in reason in the form of an update to the ozone maximiser.

Thanks for your reply.

I am not asking if the SDK (<- I dont really know what SDK is lol ) will improve in the future ( It better will) I am asking if REs are able to do what VSTs can do. If the RE format is unable to support a simple IRC III button with some corresponding algorithms imagine how hard it is for REs to support more demanding situations.

I am a big Reason fan and I hope it gets better, but I must be honest to admit I am really disappointed... not because I am missing the IRC III button but mostly because I want to get rid all the VSTs and other apps and work only with Reason.

Unfortunately this seems impossible for me at the moment.

I want an official answer from Propellerhead though.

geiger167 2012-11-06 00:01

The developer explained exactly why they didn't implement the feature, what more do you want lol. Thread is boring lol.

VillaNDubstep 2012-11-06 00:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by DimitrisG (Post 1171489)
Thanks for your reply.

I am not asking if the SDK (<- I dont really know what SDK is lol ) will improve in the future ( It better will) I am asking if REs are able to do what VSTs can do. If the RE format is unable to support a simple IRC III button with some corresponding algorithms imagine how hard it is for REs to support more demanding situations.

I am a big Reason fan and I hope it gets better, but I must be honest to admit I am really disappointed... not because I am missing the IRC III button but mostly because I want to get rid all the VSTs and other apps and work only with Reason.

Unfortunately this seems impossible for me at the moment.

I want an official answer from Propellerhead though.

Software Development Kit. This is the reason that some devices are not able to implement all features and what not. At the moment propellerheads seem to be taking it steady (which is good) so the SDK will slowly develop allowing the devices to progress also.
Don't get too disheartened that not all vst's are able to be ported right now, it just takes time and patience in order to build something that is rock solid

DimitrisG 2012-11-06 00:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by geiger167 (Post 1171491)
The developer explained exactly why they didn't implement the feature, what more do you want lol. Thread is boring lol.

I want to know something completely different but your IQ level does not allows you to understand what. I bet you are boring as hell lol

ETalk 2012-11-06 00:46

If you like Reason, then just accept it for what it is. VST technology has been around for 16 years and as a result, is far more developed. Considering that RE technology has only been available for barely 6 months, I think the chances are that it will quickly match VST in scope and capability.

Whatever the current restrictions are now, just work around them. That's how the really good stuff gets done!