Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   General Forum (read only) (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Altering Dr Rex Loop tempo (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=170419)

tommyslave 2012-11-05 22:27

Altering Dr Rex Loop tempo

Hi guys

I'm trying to add a simple percussion loop from the Dr Rex loop player to my track. I've been working on the session for some time and there are numerous instruments employed. My BPM is set to 174, although the track itself has a half time, lilty feel. It just made more sense in programming the initial drum grooves in Redrum to use a double-time setting.

The issue I'm now faced with is that any preset loop i try to use is played back in super quick and sounds completely wrong.

Is it possible to halve the tempo of a loop within Dr Rex without altering the global tempo of the session?

Many thanks for your feedback.

VillaNDubstep 2012-11-05 22:44

I'm not too sure on that one - never tried.
Try this though -
Set your project to 87bpm
Solo the Dr rex track and bounce it out to audio
Then just import into your project at 174bpm and disable stretching for that piece of audio

KingEternal 2012-11-05 22:45

You can import rex loops as audio and then timestretch...;)
You could also open the rex file in recycle, change the tempo there and re-export, but obviously you`ll need recycle for that.

tommyslave 2012-11-05 23:28

Thanks for the responses guys. I actually just got it to work by importing the loop to track then halving the tempo using Scale Tempo function in the Tool Window.

VillaNDubstep 2012-11-06 00:04

In hind sight yes that makes more sense, damn hind sight lol

mac0123 2012-11-06 02:42

or better still load the slices into redrums no need to pitch or time strecth then just drop the hits where you want them most beats work this way easily you can still pitch em if you need to or even use neptune as a real time pitch bender shifter works wonders :)
ohh and the easiest way to stretch the rex pattern in the sequencer dont allways work but for faster tempos it usualy does hold ya ctrl in windows and grab the rex pattern in sequencer and drag it double size it also drags every slice to twice the size this works less well in trying to shorted but to stratch at faster tempos works realy well. so your pattern in stretched twice as long same notes same hits just hit slower.

VillaNDubstep 2012-11-06 10:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by mac0123 (Post 1171549)
ohh and the easiest way to stretch the rex pattern in the sequencer dont allways work but for faster tempos it usualy does hold ya ctrl in windows and grab the rex pattern in sequencer and drag it double size it also drags every slice to twice the size this works less well in trying to shorted but to stratch at faster tempos works realy well. so your pattern in stretched twice as long same notes same hits just hit slower.

He's already mentioned the easiest way and it's the same as yours way but simpler to do, it's called half timing which is accessible through the tool window when you have the loop highlighted

mac0123 2012-11-06 16:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by VillaNDubstep (Post 1171653)
He's already mentioned the easiest way and it's the same as yours way but simpler to do, it's called half timing which is accessible through the tool window when you have the loop highlighted

yeah i missed that one lol scrolled past it but on the other hand i find it easier and quicker working in the sequencer and dont have the screen clutterd with the tool window it gets in my way lol. i keep it closed unless i realy need it . so i find it quicker and easier to just grab handles and stretch by hand. :).