Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   General Forum (read only) (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   How do you get smooth electronic hi hats? (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=170478)

beatsknocking 2012-11-07 03:47

How do you get smooth electronic hi hats?
 
Like for Trap, Hip Hop, House, Electro, RnB, Pop, Dubstep Music?

How much attack should the closed hat have?

What not to do to distort the hats?Or smooth them out when they sound distorted or dull?

How much release should the hat have?

What is the correct way to EQ them to sound professional?

How do you know when you have good hi hat samples?

What volume level should the hats be?To sit in the mix.Without being too loud or too low.

When is the hat bleeding?

Do you need to add a compressor or reverb or delay,or a high pass filter?Or low pass filter?

kungfujedi 2012-11-07 05:09

The answer to most of your questions is....there is no answer! Loudness in a mix is relative to what it is mixed with. Attack , release etc, is subject to taste. To compress or not? Depends on how the original sample was processed. For most genres you mentioned obvs a good starting point would be some nice 808 or 909 kits. Pretty foundational for electronic. From there do some comparisons of stuff you are producing to other music you like of similar genres. Bounce between the two and adjust your mix accordingly. Learn to listen. What do YOU think sounds good! Cheers!

colcifer 2012-11-07 06:23

Sample a reggae track.

dlorre 2012-11-07 07:50

For high hat i think its a good eq that makes the difference. Not only the high hat eq but if you want to hear it without pushing the volume too high you need to lower anything that plays in the same frequencies at the same beats.

It should be on its own mixer channel also.

djfm1983 2012-11-07 19:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by beatsknocking (Post 1172211)
Like for Trap, Hip Hop, House, Electro, RnB, Pop, Dubstep Music?

How much attack should the closed hat have?

What not to do to distort the hats?Or smooth them out when they sound distorted or dull?

How much release should the hat have?

What is the correct way to EQ them to sound professional?

How do you know when you have good hi hat samples?

What volume level should the hats be?To sit in the mix.Without being too loud or too low.

When is the hat bleeding?

Do you need to add a compressor or reverb or delay,or a high pass filter?Or low pass filter?

I see your back to posting these types of questions again. There's no one way to handle hi hats, all depends on everything else in the mix. I do always use a HPF though. Turn the HPF up until the hats start to thin out and then pull it back. Like another person said before try using a reference mix while working on a track. Find a song (or instrumental) you really like and compare your track (A/B) while mixing.
Oh and as far as hats bleeding, I'm sure that only has to do with whenever you mic a drum kit (whenever you not hitting the hats the mic is still picking up sounds from the other drums. As far as I know that's what bleeding means). Are you recording real hi hats? If so try using a gate on you hats to help with the mic bleeding.

Chabbles 2012-11-07 23:56

Find good samples first, cut off the low end, dont boost the high end, infact cut it where needed by creating an EQ and boost a very narrow band to the top, and Slowly sweep it from 20K down to 1K listening for the high pitched distortions, and cut these rouge freqs with a narrow cut 6 or more db.

JensenTNI 2012-11-08 09:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chabbles (Post 1172872)
Find good samples first, cut off the low end, dont boost the high end, infact cut it where needed by creating an EQ and boost a very narrow band to the top, and Slowly sweep it from 20K down to 1K listening for the high pitched distortions, and cut these rouge freqs with a narrow cut 6 or more db.

Thats interesting, I kind of do the same but only out of practicality, when distorting the hats slightly with the Scream, it adds some unpleasant high-frequency feedback, so I do the narrow cut to iron that out.

I also find couriosly, settting the highpass filter on the SSL to max, the hihat really begins to shine in the mix and gets a lot of presence :)

lilgeez 2012-11-08 16:07

Check out this thread https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/...ight=trap+beat It is an actual .Reason file. You can check out how the hats are mixed and processed into the arrangement. You can also save the hats for your future use. Hope this helps:D

Chabbles 2012-11-10 21:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by JensenTNI (Post 1173120)
Thats interesting, I kind of do the same but only out of practicality, when distorting the hats slightly with the Scream, it adds some unpleasant high-frequency feedback, so I do the narrow cut to iron that out.

I also find couriosly, settting the highpass filter on the SSL to max, the hihat really begins to shine in the mix and gets a lot of presence :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QaIvzbV40MM

This vid above is pretty much the same thing,use the same technique, but between 1k and 10k for hi-hats and sweep for harsh freqs on the raw sound and cut them out(even if they dont offend before the boost, still cut them, because these are the frequencies that will conflict with other sounds in your mix later on when your mixing and mastering)

Id recommend when sweeping the EQ band looking for these freq's, to hold the "shift" key while sweeping through for more precision.
Youl usually find a couple at least to cut per hat (or any sound for that matter), doing this really helps everything in the mix sit together in the end..

Seen this in a music producers class vid on the commputer music mag dvd, 3 or 4 years ago, and have seen it been mentioned in countless other vids and tutorials since then.
Ofcourse using it and hearing the results in a finished track is the best example.

jlgrimes 2012-11-10 21:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by beatsknocking (Post 1172211)
Like for Trap, Hip Hop, House, Electro, RnB, Pop, Dubstep Music?

How much attack should the closed hat have?

What not to do to distort the hats?Or smooth them out when they sound distorted or dull?

How much release should the hat have?

What is the correct way to EQ them to sound professional?

How do you know when you have good hi hat samples?

What volume level should the hats be?To sit in the mix.Without being too loud or too low.

When is the hat bleeding?

Do you need to add a compressor or reverb or delay,or a high pass filter?Or low pass filter?

Might want to play with the Kong synth hat module. It should give you a good feel on what an electronic hat should sound like.

Most hats are so thin that there is little need for EQ. High pass filter to thin out a little more and maybe high shelf if you want it brighter darker. Or it might just be easier to turn up/down volume.


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 11:42.