Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   Feature Suggestion Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Option to retrieve what you've just played in but forgot to record! (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=170512)

Djjimmyc 2012-11-07 18:04

Option to retrieve what you've just played in but forgot to record!

Ever played in the killer riff but then you realise you didn't hit record!?
Singer just delivered the best take yet and.........oh s***

Well perhaps if, in the background, reason actually recorded the midi or audio data that is played in....regardless if the user had hit the record button or not.

As soon as the play button is pressed a temperary 'cache/buffer' records any audio or midi/automation played into the system.

This allows the user (once they've hit stop) to claw back anything they played in during the last pass.

If that is the case....Great! they get back that great take.
If they aren't bothered then next time they hit play the cache is cleared ready to catch another potential unrecorded killer take.

OMOMs 2012-11-07 19:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Djjimmyc (Post 1172629)
Ever played in the killer riff but then you realise you didn't hit record!?
Singer just delivered the best take yet and.........oh s***

Well perhaps if, in the background, reason actually recorded the midi or audio data that is played in....regardless if the user had hit the record button or not.

As soon as the play button is pressed a temperary 'cache/buffer' records any audio or midi/automation played into the system.

This allows the user (once they've hit stop) to claw back anything they played in during the last pass.

If that is the case....Great! they get back that great take.
If they aren't bothered then next time they hit play the cache is cleared ready to catch another potential unrecorded killer take.

Yes please :D
I remember Logic7 had that for MIDI data. And I know there's programs that do it for Audio aswell. If that could be integrated into Reason, that would be amazing!

djfm1983 2012-11-08 05:18

good luck with that idea. I don't think any DAW offers that!

rogerlevy 2012-11-08 06:00

this would be awesome

remember the last 1000 MIDI notes played or something, let the oldest ones roll off. let us look back at it like a time machine or vcr rewind button or something.

selig 2012-11-08 06:38

It's actually a handy feature, useful just often enough to make it worthwhile in my limited experience of it. A friend of mine had an Ensoniq keyboard with that feature years ago, and I successfully used it a few times to 'save' a random idea. It was just like magic, IIRC! ;-)

Lokeyfly 2012-11-08 11:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by selig (Post 1173050)
It's actually a handy feature, useful just often enough to make it worthwhile in my limited experience of it. A friend of mine had an Ensoniq keyboard with that feature years ago, and I successfully used it a few times to 'save' a random idea. It was just like magic, IIRC! ;-)

It's an excellent idea. Something that can be set as an option and acts as a virtual recorder. When I think of the riffs or jams I created while hearing the playback and the thought of capturing them. Too cool.

I don't think it would require sucking up resources either. Like as suggested, record the last 1000 notes or something to that affect. Audio would be more demanding on the system. Just use comping for that.

Big +1 from here for auto instrument recording!

PH, add this feature. Don't ask why. Just be glad the OP suggested.

Btw Selig, I still have the original (first version) of the Ensoniq Mirage. I guess I am keeping it for the museum I never built. The mid to later Ensoniq keyboards were exceptional for laying down musical ideas very quickly. I did not know one of them had this feature, but it does not surprise me.

Smedberg 2012-11-08 12:35

Pianoteq have this. A very nice feature.

devilfish 2012-11-08 16:12

cubase have this too.. for Midi...

and i think for Audio also..
but you have to turn on the option at the input..

great idea!! best for Midi :)

TreasonLaw 2012-11-08 18:34

Yeah, good idea. Would come in handy for sure.

Djjimmyc 2012-11-09 14:53

It could be turned on or off so it's not a drain on the systems of people who wouldn't use it and perhaps you could decide on what is saved......audio, midi or both