Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   Feature Suggestion Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Update SDK 4 Better CPU usage (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=170546)

mmj85 2012-11-08 05:06

Update SDK 4 Better CPU usage

All i want is Better CPU usage for RE's in Reason Everything else can wait! Something needs to be done here. I look at what people want next in reason and all i hear is more of this and more of that but with out realizing that more equals more "You Guessed it" CPU Usage!
This issue should be first on the list nothing else!
RE's r useless if they r not CPU friendly.
The SDK needs a lot of improvements.
From my experience with the new RE's i love them but that suddenly stops when your in the moment of being creative and u have to worry about your CPU running so hi so quickly in a session.

Please PH's Fix this first for us..

Mac Os X 64bit 2.5GHz Intel Core i5
12G RAM

I found this in PH's Website "Behind The Curtain"

http://i1296.photobucket.com/albums/...0at15214PM.png

ljekio 2012-11-08 07:07

Its true. Without REs I have worked with 20-30 audiochannels with effects and 2-3 loaded bars of DSP, but if I want to use one or two TSARs and one ETCH then possible only 8-10 channels with full loading DSP. It makes me a little nervous.

BonezMcCoy 2012-11-08 07:24

I am not voting because there can only be one vote here (why would I be against REs having better CPU usage?) and anyway Propellerhead have acknowledged the problem themselves and are perhaps already working on it. But what amazes me is that there is someone who has voted against better CPU usage. I wonder why they would like REs to be a CPU hog... makes no sense to me...

Dogboy1973 2012-11-08 07:28

But is the SDK to blame or is it the code developers are putting into it? Predator (for example) is a pretty hungry beast at the best of times. Can changes to the SDK male a difference in this type of situation?

BonezMcCoy 2012-11-08 07:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dogboy1973 (Post 1173074)
But is the SDK to blame or is it the code developers are putting into it? Predator (for example) is a pretty hungry beast at the best of times. Can changes to the SDK male a difference in this type of situation?

I am sure there will be CPU hungry REs, but there seems to be a problem regarding REs in general since the beginning, at least on some systems. Remember when they introduced Alligator, Pulveriser and The Echo, which we later learned were REs, and the complaints started?

mmj85 2012-11-08 07:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by BonezMcCoy (Post 1173070)
I am not voting because there can only be one vote here (why would I be against REs having better CPU usage?) and anyway Propellerhead have acknowledged the problem themselves and are perhaps already working on it. But what amazes me is that there is someone who has voted against better CPU usage. I wonder why they would like REs to be a CPU hog... makes no sense to me...

I respect your decision for not voting my friend. As a Reason user i wanted to start this poll to have people have a say in what truly matters and that's stability with the program that we all use and enjoy.

BonezMcCoy 2012-11-08 07:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by mmj85 (Post 1173081)
I respect your decision for not voting my friend. As a Reason user i wanted to start this poll to have people have a say in what truly matters and that's stability with the program that we all use and enjoy.

I agree with you. The thread is an excellent idea, I just think a poll (especially with those poll options) was not necessary.

mmj85 2012-11-08 08:10

I remember i use to play, compose, experiment, design sounds for hours in Reason barely hitting about 3-4 bars of DSP and that's really why i loved Reason from all the rest! that i can trust it to keep going without stopping. To be honest i do understand why u would feel little nervous knowing that your DSP is near its peak and u only have added 3 RE's if your like me i am sure you would appreciate the ability to add a lot more in there to make things more interesting?!

JensenTNI 2012-11-08 10:28

Doing more extensive projects becomes an issue these days for sure. Using a couple of Uhbik Q's and FET Compressors & Polars can easily max out the CPU in a larger project.

VillaNDubstep 2012-11-08 21:05

I have to agree with this thread but I am sure props are doing everything they can to improve this. I look forward to not having to worry about what RE's I use or that if i add one more effect the project will become unstable.
I don't have too many issues but mainly because I have bought some RE's that are pretty good with DSP, All though I did have some trouble with etch red a couple weeks ago by where 5 instances maxed it all out and i couldn't continue because of the pops and crackles. I should mention that was in 32bit mode (didn't realise) and since re-enabling 64 bit mode I've had no troubles so far.
I want to buy predator but first i think i shall see how many instances of that i can use in a blank project, I've heard it's a beast on DSP