Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   Music Forum (read only) (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Quality (??) Progressive Trance - Chasing Sunsets (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=170561)

Quality (??) Progressive Trance - Chasing Sunsets

Hey all,

I'm currently working on a collaborative track with a US producer called Michael Try. It's an atmospheric progressive trance track. Although I regularly use Reason, this track is being made entirely in Studio One Pro, which I bought earlier this year. I'm using Sylenth1, Omnisphere and Reaktor (Razor) for the synths. The drums come from Studio One's 'Impulse' drum machine :) I've tried to give real depth and width to the sound.

Loading SoundCloud…

EDIT 26th Nov 12:

Here's some more of the track...a dubstep section which took about 8 hours to do this afternoon. Razor does most of the bass, Omnisphere does the FX and Sylenth provides the stabs.

Loading SoundCloud…

mastertonyd 2012-11-08 15:21

It sounds nice and clean. I almost grabbed Studio One. I was impressed by the sound engine,but I couldn't make any call on the devices. The demo version pretty much had no sounds. I liked how it worked in Rewire tho.

To be honest I don't use the synths from Studio One that much because I only really use Sylenth1, Omnisphere and Reaktor. The drum machine is good, and Pro comes with Melodyne, Guitar Rig and Kontakt Player. The effects are all very good quality and I like the fact that this is a new DAW, designed from the ground up to work on modern systems, without any legacy bloating. I recommend it! :) Pro also comes with lots of loops and drum hits, if that's your thing!

I've also started bouncing everything down to audio so that I can time correct and cut off any tails to sounds which I don't want. It's very easy in Studio One, and means that you can get a nice tight, clean, sound.

mastertonyd 2012-11-08 15:30

Thanks for the info Avatar One!

No problem! :)

rVOLT 2012-11-08 22:05

Sounds really good

craste 2012-11-08 22:13

Sounds nice and clean and 'airy', I also like that kind of 'reverse sucking' sound.

Really nice.

Thanks for giving it a listen! :)

Here is the track being made in my 'studio' (ahem).

DIGITUS 2012-11-10 05:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by AvatarOne (Post 1173308)
I've also started bouncing everything down to audio so that I can time correct and cut off any tails to sounds which I don't want. It's very easy in Studio One, and means that you can get a nice tight, clean, sound.

Well, it's working! I commented on soundcloud about how nice and tight it sounds before I read how you did it. It's gonna be a great track when it's finished! I was honestly rather surprised at your setup because this track is so gorgeous sounding. It's very inspiring stuff! Now then, I guess I better hide my face eh... :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by DIGITUS (Post 1174675)
Well, it's working! I commented on soundcloud about how nice and tight it sounds before I read how you did it. It's gonna be a great track when it's finished! I was honestly rather surprised at your setup because this track is so gorgeous sounding. It's very inspiring stuff! Now then, I guess I better hide my face eh... :)

Thanks for listening :) I really wanted to get this track sounds very very tight and clean so I'm glad it's coming across this way. I've learnt that it's the little things that add up to get this sound.

For example:

In the second half of the clip the bassline is made up of about 4 different synths; I bounced each synth down and cut the notes up into individual 16th slices of audio and arranged it all by hand. This way no bass note overlaps the kick drum, and no bass note overlaps any other bass note.

The chord stabs are made up of 2 different synths. One synth plays lower chords and the other one plays the same chords higher up (as well as some additional notes), one of the synths also has a tiny bit of shaped white noise to add bite to the attack. Both synths are run through the same reverb, but I've bounced down the lower chord synth into audio and have removed most of the reverb tail from it. This way it sounds as though all the notes have reverb applied, but in reality only the reverb from the higher chords comes through all the time - which leaves room for the basssline to come through. I've also applied a transient modifier plugin to the chord stabs to accentuate the attack even more, and give it more snappiness. There's also some mid-side processing going on which widens the sound. The sub bassline also follows several of the chord stabs and plays at the same time as them.

The kick from the drum machine is bounced down to audio and the tiniest bit of decay it leaves is chopped off.

In terms of my 'studio' (ie untreated bedroom) it's obviously pretty basic :) But I think that a good understanding of how sounds complement each other and a knowledge of mixing - along with some good monitors, will get you pretty far.