Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   Music Forum (read only) (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Producers Help Please (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=170710)

ryuken 2012-11-10 20:39

Producers Help Please

Couple of questions guys, having a bit of trouble getting my levels correct, all sounds good on monitors, but when i play back on other systems, my bass for instance is a lot quieter hardly noticeable, and fx far too loud.

When i playback through monitors on soundcloud, youtube, Mp3, it sounds good. But then transfer it to hifi, or van, or listen to soundcloud through phone it sounds like levels are all over, where as i can listen to a cd, and all tunes i can hear everything correct, so what am i doing wrong

Has anyone any advice or tricks they used to get used to the monitors, its pissing me off

Secondly, what DB should i be exporting my track to wav at, because mine sound really quiet

Cheers peeps, any help really appreciated

This is track im stuck on, Ive turned up the bass, but sounds too loud on my monitors lol, i cant win
http://soundcloud.com/ryanpm/all-around-ryans-bumpy-dub

rVOLT 2012-11-10 22:49

It will never sound the same across various systems.

Use your mixers compression/ gains etc to level things out. Use your stereo imager too.

ryuken 2012-11-10 22:54

Cheers will check them out, was just miffed at when i listen to a cd with 15 tracks on mixed, i can hear all the stuff they have put in they're tacks, but mine sound quiet and some parts none existent. what does the stereo imager do just curious as im not really good with stuff like that. cheers

VillaNDubstep 2012-11-10 23:03

It could be worth seeing if some one on these forums would do a mixdown and master for you, sometimes you just need a fresh set of ears on the track that has never heard it before.
Just a suggestion if you don't mind some one else doing it and then maybe they could email you with some insight into how they went about mixing the track or where you were going wrong

rVOLT 2012-11-10 23:23

When I have conflicting highs, I use the stereo imager to separate the sounds. Sometimes they wash each other out, and this enhances one sound to be wider or more narrow than the others.

Picture two people standing in line. Facing you, but you can only see the person in front. You can tell another person is standing theres, so you use your stereo imager to make the person in front thinner, or the person in back wider. =) Now you can see (hear) them both. Same concept but with sound.

djfm1983 2012-11-11 06:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by ryuken (Post 1175036)
Couple of questions guys, having a bit of trouble getting my levels correct, all sounds good on monitors, but when i play back on other systems, my bass for instance is a lot quieter hardly noticeable, and fx far too loud.

When i playback through monitors on soundcloud, youtube, Mp3, it sounds good. But then transfer it to hifi, or van, or listen to soundcloud through phone it sounds like levels are all over, where as i can listen to a cd, and all tunes i can hear everything correct, so what am i doing wrong

Has anyone any advice or tricks they used to get used to the monitors, its pissing me off

Secondly, what DB should i be exporting my track to wav at, because mine sound really quiet

Cheers peeps, any help really appreciated

This is track im stuck on, Ive turned up the bass, but sounds too loud on my monitors lol, i cant win
http://soundcloud.com/ryanpm/all-around-ryans-bumpy-dub

Best thing I would advise you to do is have reference mix at hand while mixing your song. Find a professionally mixed song you like and has similar sound to what your trying to make and A/B them to help you set levels. You gotta do some acoustical treatment to help your mixes translate (or take the time to learn your monitors and room response). If you notice your bass sound quieter outside of you room it's due to standing waves. You'll need to do some bass trapping to help you out there.
Also when you play songs on your phone it'll sound different because most phones play back in mono. Things sometimes disappear when you play back in mono due to phase issues. It's a good idea to check your mix in mono to heart if there are any serious issues going on.
It's you haven't already started you might want to buy some videos or books to help you learn some mixing techniques. How long have you been mixing for?

kungfujedi 2012-11-11 07:20

Also not sure what type of environment you're mixing in, but room treatment might help also? Especially that first statement about bass disappearing on other systems. My untreated room can be very 'boomy' and it really throws off my perception of my low end. Again, as somebody else mentioned, maybe some A B comparisons might help. Good luck!

ryuken 2012-11-11 11:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by VillaNDubstep (Post 1175108)
It could be worth seeing if some one on these forums would do a mixdown and master for you, sometimes you just need a fresh set of ears on the track that has never heard it before.
Just a suggestion if you don't mind some one else doing it and then maybe they could email you with some insight into how they went about mixing the track or where you were going wrong

Would love for someone to this this, would help me no ends, but who haha

I think also i do need to treat my room, my room is very small

ryuken 2012-11-11 11:33

Thanks everyone for replying, i will try to do some more learning

PsyTale 2012-11-11 12:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by rvolt (Post 1175123)
When I have conflicting highs, I use the stereo imager to separate the sounds. Sometimes they wash each other out, and this enhances one sound to be wider or more narrow than the others.

Picture two people standing in line. Facing you, but you can only see the person in front. You can tell another person is standing theres, so you use your stereo imager to make the person in front thinner, or the person in back wider. =) Now you can see (hear) them both. Same concept but with sound.

I like that analogy :)