Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   General Forum (read only) (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Advice before layout! (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=170772)

akanoworms 2012-11-12 00:47

Advice before layout!

Hello,

hoping for advice if possible. Planning on buy Reason Essentials plus a new windows based laptop around the £500 mark. Have read the minimum specs and some threads on here but want to make sure I make the right purchase. I will be a light user of this initially as I'm getting back into this after a few years gap so wont be putting too much stress on the machine I choose, I've generally been looking at:

i5 processor ( although I have looked at a couple of AMD based machines)
6 - 8GB RAM
750GB memory HDD at 5400rpm

I've found a few comparable machines Samsung, Lenovo, Asus, Tosh. Anyone have any advice on the suggested set up or brands i'm looking at? The other problem I am finding is that everything that is out there at the moment is Windows 8, I'm guessing there may be a few issues this close to its release!

Soundcard- I'm pretty much set on the Presonus Audiobox as I believe it also handles the midi in and out.

Any help would be very appreciated

something 2012-11-12 01:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by akanoworms (Post 1175706)
Hello,

hoping for advice if possible. Planning on buy Reason Essentials plus a new windows based laptop around the £500 mark. Have read the minimum specs and some threads on here but want to make sure I make the right purchase. I will be a light user of this initially as I'm getting back into this after a few years gap so wont be putting too much stress on the machine I choose, I've generally been looking at:

i5 processor ( although I have looked at a couple of AMD based machines)
6 - 8GB RAM
750GB memory HDD at 5400rpm

I've found a few comparable machines Samsung, Lenovo, Asus, Tosh. Anyone have any advice on the suggested set up or brands i'm looking at? The other problem I am finding is that everything that is out there at the moment is Windows 8, I'm guessing there may be a few issues this close to its release!

Soundcard- I'm pretty much set on the Presonus Audiobox as I believe it also handles the midi in and out.

Any help would be very appreciated

1) Avoid AMD, go for Intel (preferably i7, but up to you if you rather choose i5).

2) obviously, the more RAM the better

3) Brand: ASUS or Toshiba

Another thing to look at, if you have a external HDD with USB 3.0 then check if the laptop supports it.
You'll have faster USB then between your external HDD and your laptop.
Good for loading samples fast, etc.

http://www.squaretrade.com/htm/pdf/S...ility_1109.pdf

http://i.imgur.com/Qqrat.png

gwynebiau 2012-11-12 08:51

A faster hard drive (7200 RPM or SSD) is good if you can get it, but 5400 will probably work fine for you too. 8 gigs of RAM is good, and an i5 should work too, although an i7 is even better.

If the price jump is too much for you though, an i5 is still good, and I wouldn't completely ignore AMD either. Yes there have been problems with Reason on some versions of windows and some AMD processors, but I believe that 6.5.2 addresses those issues. If other AMD users are happy now, you might find a better deal there.

Also, if you don't really need a laptop, you can get more power for less money with a desktop. I just picked up a Mac Mini to mostly replace my aging laptop, and it's got pretty good specs for a pretty low price compared to a laptop. I know that on the PC side things are similar, so if you're not sure you need the portability, check out desktops too before you make your decision. :)

Aiden 2012-11-12 14:04

I got a series 3 Samsung laptop with an i5 2450 cpu, 6GB RAM, Windows 7 and a 500 GB HDD for £400 off Ebay - ex demonstration but like new. It would probably do you just fine. If you aren't planning on getting a dedicated Audio interface the internal soundcard is a Realtek chip and running ASIO4ALL as audio driver gives reasonable enough performance (although it's never going to sound as good as a dedicated interface).

charlycharlzz 2012-11-12 22:00

If you can wait and of jan or feb you could get a i7 laptop one of the latest for that price and by thn you will have save up for essential , think that for computers sometimes if you invest 100 or 200 more you get more years using the same machine with good performances.

akanoworms 2012-11-12 22:56

Thanks to all for the great advice, much appreciated. I do think if I can hold out I will be able to up the spec and the speed, I'm still very much in two minds about which brand! I like the idea of Asus and tosh although know someone who is using Samsung so am swaying in that direction also due to cost

jfrichards 2012-11-13 02:45

I highly recommend the 7200 rpm. 5400 can choke with multi-tasking audio (like hitting save and play right away).

charlycharlzz 2012-11-13 23:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by akanoworms (Post 1176296)
Thanks to all for the great advice, much appreciated. I do think if I can hold out I will be able to up the spec and the speed, I'm still very much in two minds about which brand! I like the idea of Asus and tosh although know someone who is using Samsung so am swaying in that direction also due to cost

I would have say them 3 brands anyway so you can only find something good from there . :)

Dave909 2012-11-13 23:40

Also... Save up the extra few hundred and get Reason 6.5. Wayyyyy better :D

akanoworms 2012-11-14 00:03

Think I've set on a Samsung i5 3210 with 6gb which I can upgrade to 8. It's been. While since ive used Reason (probably version 2) so I will be easing myself into it as a bit of a part time hobby subject to the kids / work allowing me enough time. Plan is to go with essentials (due to budget restriction) an upgrade in a year or so inc I've had a bit of practice. From what I can see essentials is fairly similar to Reason 2. Any thoughts on the presonus audiovox USB?