Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   General Forum (read only) (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Do I need more RAM or something else? (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=170906)

Cacophony37 2012-11-14 02:16

Do I need more RAM or something else?

Ok, I was working on this massive-samples project where 7 samples where 168 or more MB each loaded onto an array of samplers, each playing at the original pitch for 1000 seconds simultaneously.
I wanted to add a few more samples of the same size but then I ran out of memory.

Assuming that I ran out of RAM I considered upgrading my PC.

I'm using a 32-bit Windows 7 operating system if that means anything concerning RAM.

I don't really want to upgrade Reason until I learn alot more about Reason 5, so I use the sampler instead of Reason 6's built-in Record.

My laptop has 4 GB. It's an Acer Aspire.

I created these samples myself using Csound.
I could have gotten acceptable results with Audacity but I find Reason more promising to come up with a better desired result.

any advice? will it cost me a bundle?

EnochLight 2012-11-14 02:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cacophony37 (Post 1177050)
Ok, I was working on this massive-samples project where 7 samples where 168 or more MB each loaded onto an array of samplers, each playing at the original pitch for 1000 seconds simultaneously.
I wanted to add a few more samples of the same size but then I ran out of memory.

Assuming that I ran out of RAM I considered upgrading my PC.

I'm using a 32-bit Windows 7 operating system if that means anything concerning RAM.

I don't really want to upgrade Reason until I learn alot more about Reason 5, so I use the sampler instead of Reason 6's built-in Record.

My laptop has 4 GB. It's an Acer Aspire.

I created these samples myself using Csound.
I could have gotten acceptable results with Audacity but I find Reason more promising to come up with a better desired result.

any advice? will it cost me a bundle?

Since you're on a 32-bit version of Windows, you can't add more RAM. I mean, you can - but it would be a complete waste as a 32-bit OS can't address it.

Sorry!

Cacophony37 2012-11-14 02:34

Um, so how do I go 64-bit WITHOUT buying another laptop? is that possible?

jlgrimes 2012-11-14 02:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cacophony37 (Post 1177066)

You can probably buy a Win 7 or 8 64 bit upgrade disk.

Make sure your audio driver and midi controller has 64 bit drivers and you should be fine with Reason.

Also u need a 64 bit processor which u should have already unless your PC is very old Pentium 4 or lesser.

Most CPUs went 64 bit around 2005 or 2006.

SteveDiverse 2012-11-14 02:53

Quote:

What's the exact model number for your laptop?

Not just the series, the exact model number..

Thanks

jlgrimes 2012-11-14 02:55

Quote:

You can probably buy a Win 7 or 8 64 bit upgrade disk.

Make sure your audio driver and midi controller has 64 bit drivers and you should be fine with Reason (most do now).

Also u need a 64 bit processor which u should have already unless your PC is very old Pentium 4 or lesser.

Most CPUs went 64 bit around 2005 or 2006.

Your biggest ball of confusion will come if you use other programs other than Reason to do music.

Some DAWS haven't went 64 bit yet (many have though).

VSTs are further behind. A lot of VSTs lack 64 bit versions so u will need to do some research. Some VST hosts allow you to run 32 bit VSTs in 64 bit mode but IMO doing this can be buggy.

I have been on 64 bit since 2010. Windows 7 btw. Even using 32 bit hosts in a 64 bit os will give u some improvements since then you would be able to use the maximum of 4 gigs for the 32 bit host program and your OS can use your remaining ram.

If you do upgrade I would go with at least 8 gigs.

Cacophony37 2012-11-14 03:07

*reads* It sais ASPIRE 5738-6252

Cacophony37 2012-11-14 03:24

I use Reason 5, Csound and Audacity and I'm interested in either Pro Tools or Cubase when I'm more confident with my work (can Pro Tools ReWire to Reason?). Also interested in everything to do with Native Instruments. Interested in learning FAUST and Pure Data. heard about Project5 from Cakewalk. Heard better things about Fruity Loops than I gave it credit for (who creates professional software and gives it a name like Fruity Loops? honestly!)

I'm a computer programmer and one day I might want to create my own software so I get my hands on as much as I can and obsereve software that has already been created.
In 2011 I was trying to remember C++, then I learned more about Csound, then I learned some Java and now I'm finishing an online course involving Python. Final exam is on November 18th.

moneykube 2012-11-14 04:45

yes ... protools rewires just fine... I love it

Brad555 2012-11-14 07:30

I think you should have to try another RAM.

hotel underwater dubai | grammar check and plagiarism check