Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   General Forum (read only) (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Tuning Drums With Kong (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=170975)

markelson 2012-11-15 02:32

Tuning Drums With Kong
 
Hi,

was wondering if any one had any strategies for tuning drums to an exact frequency or note with Kong's Bass Drum Synth? Or are you supposed to do it by ear alone?

I was wondering whether or not the pitch value referred to pitch in MIDI terms, i.e. 69 = A = 440 Hz?

Can someone point me in the right direction? Any help with this would be appreciated.

Thanks, Mark

ProfessaKaos 2012-11-15 05:05

On the Mix Channel you have the Kong Synth Bass Drum enabled the "Rec Source" button. Then create an "Audio Track" and change the Audio Tracks "Input" to received audio from the Synth Bass Drum Mix Channel. Then in the Sequencer click on the "Tuner" button of the "Audio Track". Hope this help's.

RXTX 2012-11-15 06:48

You're talking about the Synth Bass Drum, not the Physical Bass Drum, right? It's a frequency dial (not a note dial), so getting the right note is a bit difficult. The dial spans two octaves starting at approximately F0. So, for example:

-63 ≈ F0 (21.827 Hz)
+0 ≈ F1 (43.654 Hz)
+35 ≈ C1 (65.406 Hz)
+63 ≈ F2 (87.307 Hz)

It's fairly easy to tune it by ear for values above 0, but for the lower notes, you'd probably have to use a frequency-to-note chart or a spectrum analyzer.

markelson 2012-11-15 21:08

Thank you, that's exactly what I need to know! Yes I was talking About the synth bass drum. I might have a few more questions when I'm in front of my computer but for now - 63 = F, 0 = F and +64 = F? Is there a chart for the exact frequencies anywhere?

Thanks very much for getting back to me with this.

All the best, Mark

lilgeez 2012-11-16 09:10

1 Attachment(s)
Based upon the notion that -63/0/63 = F, this chart will show what notes correlate to what dial range in Kong's Synth BD.. (These values are rounded to the nearest whole. In cases where the result was in the middle of 2 numbers e.g. 9.5, both 9 and 10 are shown).. Enjoy:D

markelson 2012-11-16 16:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by ProfessaKaos (Post 1178103)
On the Mix Channel you have the Kong Synth Bass Drum enabled the "Rec Source" button. Then create an "Audio Track" and change the Audio Tracks "Input" to received audio from the Synth Bass Drum Mix Channel. Then in the Sequencer click on the "Tuner" button of the "Audio Track". Hope this help's.

Hi and thanks for getting back to me!

I did try using the tuner on the audio track but found that maybe the drums were too fast for it. I've forgotten how I routed now and I've tried to do it the way you described but I'm getting a little confused (it's not hard to confuse me).

'On the Mix Channel you have the Kong Synth Bass Drum enabled the "Rec Source" button.'

Do you mean record enable?

I have routed the a kick drum out of kong and in into the 'from devices' input on an audio track. I can here and see the kick coming through on the mixer but when the audio track is armed I cant see it coming through in the sequence page and the tuner not hearing it either.

I hope thats clear enough for you. Any thoughts?

Many thanks, Mark

p.s. checked out your tracks on sound cloud... awesome! Sweet, sweet sound!!

ProfessaKaos 2012-11-16 16:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by markelson (Post 1179140)
Hi and thanks for getting back to me!

I did try using the tuner on the audio track but found that maybe the drums were too fast for it. I've forgotten how I routed now and I've tried to do it the way you described but I'm getting a little confused (it's not hard to confuse me).

'On the Mix Channel you have the Kong Synth Bass Drum enabled the "Rec Source" button.'

Do you mean record enable?

I have routed the a kick drum out of kong and in into the 'from devices' input on an audio track. I can here and see the kick coming through on the mixer but when the audio track is armed I cant see it coming through in the sequence page and the tuner not hearing it either.

I hope thats clear enough for you. Any thoughts?

Many thanks, Mark

p.s. checked out your tracks on sound cloud... awesome! Sweet, sweet sound!!

Thanks mate appreciate it

Here's a picture of what I was describing. No routing of cables needed.
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/28244147/Setup.jpg

To get a good reading while doing it this way you might need to make a 1 bar loop of a single hit of the Bass Drum to give the tuner more time to recognise the pitch
Hope this help's

markelson 2012-11-16 21:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by lilgeez (Post 1178899)
Based upon the notion that -63/0/63 = F, this chart will show what notes correlate to what dial range in Kong's Synth BD.. (These values are rounded to the nearest whole. In cases where the result was in the middle of 2 numbers e.g. 9.5, both 9 and 10 are shown).. Enjoy:D

That's great! Thank you very much, this has been causing me lots of head scratching moments over the last few weeks/months. Did you do the chart yourself or did you find it somewhere?

Doesn't matter really as I've just tested it out against a sine tone and to my ear it sounds spot on!

Anyway thanks again, much appreciated!

Also checked out your Sound Cloud... sounds sweet, amazing vocal!!

lilgeez 2012-11-16 21:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by markelson (Post 1179342)
That's great! Thank you very much, this has been causing me lots of head scratching moments over the last few weeks/months. Did you do the chart yourself or did you find it somewhere?

Doesn't matter really as I've just tested it out against a sine tone and to my ear it sounds spot on!

Anyway thanks again, much appreciated!

Also checked out your Sound Cloud... sounds sweet, amazing vocal!!

Ah man I really appreciate it!! Yea, did it on my phone yesterday for u bro.. Plus I needed a little practice on my math:D

markelson 2012-11-16 21:11

Thanks Professor!!
 
That works a treat, thanks Professor!!!

Seriously mate that has just solved a real head scratch for me, nice one!

I think using a combination of this technique and the chart that I also picked up from this thread will really help.

Wicked and bad!!!!


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 04:31.