Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   General Forum (read only) (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Back to Songwriting-Old School Way-Yamaha Motif XF (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=171129)

JamesBermingham 2012-11-17 13:19

Back to Songwriting-Old School Way-Yamaha Motif XF
 
I was in my local Music/Synth Store playing on the Yamaha Motif XF workstation just the other day. What a sytnh/workstation it is. I was also on the Roland Fantom which was good also, but it just wasn't as inspiring as the Motif.

Anyhow it got me thinking to the way I used to compose before Reason ever existed, say back in the 90s. I had my Workstation synth, limited to say 16 Midi tracks. But i found that these limitations were good, as I would get my tracks finished, Start to End.

I absolutly love Reason. Dont get me wrong. Its awesome. But I find I have hundreds of 4 bar loops going nowhere. My songwriting has been hindered Which got me thinking.

Why don't the Props build a Reason, hardware,All-in-one-Workstation Synth, with all its software Soundbanks and FX, but maybe with certain optional limitations (say 16 Track Sequencer??), that will help with creativity and workflow. Also, it would be a super Live instrument, with the Props already Rock Solid Reputation of being 100 percent reliable. But its a Go-To Synth, with no distractions, but with limitations that actually help with creativity and inspiration.Just a thought.....

Anyhow, until then, I am somehow gonna get up the €2,500 to buy the Yamaha Motiff XF workstaion. I was truly amazed and inspired playing it. I know it will get my songwriting to a place where it just hasn't been in a few years.

EnochLight 2012-11-17 14:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by JamesBermingham (Post 1179787)
Anyhow, until then, I am somehow gonna get up the €2,500 to buy the Yamaha Motiff XF workstaion. I was truly amazed and inspired playing it. I know it will get my songwriting to a place where it just hasn't been in a few years.

Just my opinion, but that's a complete waste of money since you can buy a Nektar Panorama P4 (and soon, the 61-key P6) and compose with Reason just like it was a hardware workstation. Infinitely more powerful than a Motif XF, since the hardware was outdated the day it hit the production line. Curious as to how the software/OS updates will go with Yamaha as well... Will it be supported 5 years from now? If so, in what capacity?

Reason will.

Regardless, whatever works for you, right? If you're drawn to the Motif XF and are comfortable with it, go for it!

JamesBermingham 2012-11-17 14:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by EnochLight (Post 1179800)
..you can buy a Nektar Panorama P4 (and soon, the 61-key P6) and compose with Reason just like it was a hardware workstation. .......

Never knew about this.
I will certainly look into.

Thank you very much for that info.

dsiung 2012-11-18 14:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by EnochLight (Post 1179800)
Infinitely more powerful than a Motif XF, since the hardware was outdated the day it hit the production line.

What a crock of shit

EnochLight 2012-11-18 15:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by dsiung (Post 1180328)
What a crock of shit

Your well thought out and stunning introspective? Indeed.

JamesBermingham 2012-11-19 11:36

Are there any Reason users who own either the latest Motif XF's or older XS models. What is their opinion & experience of the instrument??

I would like to know if you felt they are worth the big purchase.

Smedberg 2012-11-19 11:49

I have the Motif XS8,

Love it, but seldom use it as it should.
Have it as a controller today. (expensive one.. ;) )

Occasionally I use it for jamming only and never turn on computer.

Smedberg 2012-11-19 11:55

There is a way to use it with Cubase also and have it become like a VST3. And also to use the Audio In/Out.
But I have never bothered with it, since I don't need to.

sagana33 2012-11-19 23:27

Played with a Yamaha motif the other day.

Stunning sounds!

Regarding of what the controller hardware may be used for, I found the banks of sounds spectacular.

jlgrimes 2012-11-20 03:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by JamesBermingham (Post 1179787)
I was in my local Music/Synth Store playing on the Yamaha Motif XF workstation just the other day. What a sytnh/workstation it is. I was also on the Roland Fantom which was good also, but it just wasn't as inspiring as the Motif.

Anyhow it got me thinking to the way I used to compose before Reason ever existed, say back in the 90s. I had my Workstation synth, limited to say 16 Midi tracks. But i found that these limitations were good, as I would get my tracks finished, Start to End.

I absolutly love Reason. Dont get me wrong. Its awesome. But I find I have hundreds of 4 bar loops going nowhere. My songwriting has been hindered Which got me thinking.

Why don't the Props build a Reason, hardware,All-in-one-Workstation Synth, with all its software Soundbanks and FX, but maybe with certain optional limitations (say 16 Track Sequencer??), that will help with creativity and workflow. Also, it would be a super Live instrument, with the Props already Rock Solid Reputation of being 100 percent reliable. But its a Go-To Synth, with no distractions, but with limitations that actually help with creativity and inspiration.Just a thought.....

Anyhow, until then, I am somehow gonna get up the €2,500 to buy the Yamaha Motiff XF workstaion. I was truly amazed and inspired playing it. I know it will get my songwriting to a place where it just hasn't been in a few years.

Reason pretty much IMO best emulates these workstations out of every other DAW.

It comes with many workstation style presets and it sequencer is very inspiring for those who play in their parts.


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 14:06.