Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   General Forum (read only) (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Help With Using Reason 4 Live (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=171147)

retupmock0 2012-11-17 19:40

Help With Using Reason 4 Live

Hi everyone,

I'm new here, and am in the process of changing my live setup from a Korg Triton Extreme keyboard over to midi with Reason.

I switch sounds pretty frequently throughout our songs, so I'm trying to be able to switch patches as smoothly as possible.

So far, I've been creating one Combinator per song, then putting the devices with the sounds I use in each Combinator, and creating a track for each device in the sequencer window, and switching between those.

The problem I come across is that when I hold out a sound, say a string sound, holding the sustain pedal, and then switch to another sound, say a piano, the switch is fine and quick but the previous patch (the string sound) continues to ring out forever (until I close the file).

How can I set up so this doesn't happen? Is this a common thing or weird that this is happening?

I'm very new to all of this, and appreciate any answers! Thanks in advance!

RXTX 2012-11-17 21:28

Yes, all versions of Reason do that. If you switch to another device while the pedal is down, the original device won't receive the "pedal off" message and will keep ringing until you either stop the song or return to it and press the pedal on and off (so it gets the "pedal off" message).

It can be annoying, I agree. As far as I know there's no simple solution for this (unless someone has devised some kind of clever automation hack.)

retupmock0 2012-11-17 21:38

Hey RXTX,

Thanks for the response. That's too bad that there seems to be no way around this. Considering the quick sound changes I make, it would be difficult for me to avoid this from happening in live setup. It seems like it would be difficult for me to run my setup with midi live.

There's no way to have master control of the pedal on/off messages, independent of the selected patch?

Thanks again!

RXTX 2012-11-17 22:15

As far as I know, Reason doesn't support a global pedal-off mechanism. I hope someone will chime in on this issue and recommend a workaround.

It seems one way this could work if pressing the "next/prev patch" button first fired a "pedal off" message. Since Reason doesn't support that kind of programming, I'm wondering if it can be done *before* the MIDI signal reaches Reason. I know there's MIDI hardware and software that lets you intercept and modify MIDI messages on the fly. We'd have to intercept the "next patch" message and prepend it with a "pedal off" message. I'll look into it.

By the way, what kind of MIDI controller are you using? And how many patches do you use in your live setup?

retupmock0 2012-11-17 22:50

It would be great if there was some sort of workaround that could be implemented to get this system to work. Even if I have to buy some sort of (hopefully inexpensive) external hardware, it would be worth it to get this to work. Especially because we travel to Europe with some frequency and bringing my 63 lb keyboard in a 36 lb case is a big inconvenience and taking a toll on the keyboard itself.

I'm using an Akai MPK88, and I probably use a total of 20-30 patches. Some songs it's only 1 or 2, but others could involve 6 or 7.

On another note, would you recommend I get some sort of interface to go from my computer to a house DI? What's the best way to do that? How bad Is it to go from the headphone jack of my computer straight into a DI?

Thanks again for the help.