Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   General Forum (read only) (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   A look on pirating - a developers POV (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=171274)

mcatalao 2012-11-20 02:37

A look on pirating - a developers POV

Just read this on KVR.

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=365466

I am proud to say that all my software is legit, but inever thought how this affected small sound designers.

It is good that the new re format is virtually impossible to hack. Still i believe refill developers are quire afected with this.

Food for brain?

normen 2012-11-20 02:51

Quote:

One pirate site currently lists 13,699 illegal downloads of TAIKO 2. If each person had paid $1.00 for his or her copy from this site, it would amount to more than the library has grossed so far. I disclose this information to illustrate the point that these libraries are investments, and getting them "in the black" takes time, effort and further capital to promote them.

- How heavy the drums were. Getting them on and off the recording stage - sometimes taking two or three people to move just one drum. The thought of that physical act, combined with the knowledge that someone is freely taking TAIKO 2 gets under my skin.

- My partner on TAIKO 2 is having a kid in a few months. The fact that this library has been pirated sucks for him.

- What will the future bring? Despite my passion for doing what I do, is that enough to press on knowing that the products will be pirated?
^--- sick t.t

I remember back in the day when many software companies stopped doing games for the AMIGA computer because nobody bought the games but everybody pirated them.

mcatalao 2012-11-20 02:58

Actually there's this guy on the thread advisin him to go on and do something different for bread and butter...

So, we're not far from there Even for sound design!

XSTmusic 2012-11-20 03:26

Lol relying on sound banks to eat.
Fail

normen 2012-11-20 03:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by XSTmusic (Post 1181273)
Lol relying on sound banks to eat.
Fail

Sorry I wouldn't want to make large productions with the average quality of inexpensive ReFills..

koma7 2012-11-20 03:54

Nothing is virtually impossible to hack, in fact I think it's impossible for anything to be virtually impossible. There will always be coders out there looking to improve systems and there's always going to be coders out there exposing flaws and cracking these systems. If there was not then nothing would be secure and we would see no changes or improvements in the world of software.

normen 2012-11-20 04:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by koma7 (Post 1181283)
Nothing is virtually impossible to hack, in fact I think it's impossible for anything to be virtually impossible. There will always be coders out there looking to improve systems and there's always going to be coders out there exposing flaws and cracking these systems. If there was not then nothing would be secure and we would see no changes or improvements in the world of software.

Most people who pirate are also not potential customers. Also the people would probably have bought it for the 1$ :p Its still sickening that for some people it seems to be *normal* to pirate and they even justify it for themselves with some theories on why intellectual property is unjust. And this poor guy carries the heavy drums ;)

omshanti20 2012-11-20 14:39

Smedberg 2012-11-20 15:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by nhansen (Post 1181289)
Its still sickening that for some people it seems to be *normal* to pirate and they even justify it for themselves with some theories on why intellectual property is unjust.

It's the way they work, constantly searching for arguments that justify their actions. Does not matter what you say...

Dave909 2012-11-20 15:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smedberg (Post 1181596)
It's the way they work, constantly searching for arguments that justify their actions. Does not matter what you say...

Yeah as much as i appreciate Nine Volt Audio coming out with such a statement. It won't change anything coss people pirating stuff will keep on doing it anyway. It has to be incorporated as a realistic thing into any software developers business plan. How sad it may be.