Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   General Forum (read only) (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Taking over sound card (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=171284)

tomnahas 2012-11-20 06:27

Taking over sound card

I am using Reason 6 with a Saffire PRO 14. Up until the other day, I was able to have YouTube open while using Reason. Now something has switched that does not allow sound from any other program while Reason is running. Any ideas on what changed? Something in the audio preferences? Something in the Saffire?

usaidwot 2012-11-20 06:54

The only thing I can suggest is that if your soundcard is a multi output device, you need to make sure your windows audio is set to a different output. For example, I have 8 outputs, and Reason and other pro audio apps are set to outputs 3 and 4. Windows audio functions are set to 1 and 2.

doinky 2012-11-20 07:18

I'm having a similar problem with a CI1 usb soundcard. From what I've read, I may have inadvertently destroyed its inner cicuitry using phantom power.

I can play reason but if I try to search the web it crackles and so does any internet video as well as reason sometimes on it's own when internet is open.

Guess I need a new soundcard. :(

ryszard 2012-11-20 08:53

It's not the soundcard. (And you haven't killed it with phantom power.) It may be your motherboard. I had the same problem when I built my new PC last spring. I could only use one audio app at a time and had to reboot to switch. Sometimes I got the heavily distorted audio, too. I reinstalled Windows several times with no change. I exchanged motherboards, but it wasn't until I upgraded the MB that the problem was fixed. Fortunately, everything was under warranty.

Anyway, that's my experience. I have no explanation for it's being okay and suddenly not working. In any case I would check to be sure I have the latest drivers for my soundcard.

HTH,

Richard

doinky 2012-11-20 09:11

Richard I don't get it. If you exchange the motherboard and it doesn't change,I would wonder why the problem started and now couldn't get fixed with a different same motherboard. So upgrading the motherboard sounds different to our problems. Eg. It wasn't a problem till now, and if it's the motherboard a same new one should work.

Anyways I can check with an internal sound card I have lying around. Should verify its the motherboard. Will also shutdown computers power fully for 30 seconds and try it. As USB issues can occur and remain without a hard reset too.

ryszard 2012-11-20 11:22

Sorry, I didn't make myself clear. The first mobo was exchanged for another of the same make and model. When the problem didn't go away the new one was exchanged for a different model by the same manufacturer.

I don't actually know that that was the problem. It was one of several things that were changed while we figured things out. There was another issue with an updated VIDEO card driver which caused other problems. I have an NVidia card (see sysconfig below) made by another manufacturer. Getting the new driver from the NVidia site was a problem. Once I rolled it back and got the driver from the Zotac site I was okay.

I'm not claiming to have the solution in your case--I'm just throwing out ideas, okay? But I did have the identical problem.

Dave909 2012-11-20 13:34

Do you have "Play in background" checked in the Reason prefs?

jengstrom 2012-11-20 14:16

It could be that the audio driver failed and Reason fell back to another driver.

If you don't select audio driver manually in Reason Preferences, Reason will try to open the last manually selected driver each time it opens, and if that fails fall back to the other drivers in some order.

The native ASIO drivers for some audio interfaces allow mixing in the output of other apps like web and music players. Some do not.

If your native ASIO driver doesn't support mixing, and you also have ASIO4ALL installed, maybe you were using ASIO4ALL in Reason earlier. ASIO4ALL will usually provide ASIO with mixing for interfaces that have a non-mixing native ASIO driver.

tomnahas 2012-11-22 02:52

dave909, Thanks! That was the issue. It must have gotten checked somehow...What is the purpose of that anyway?

SteveDiverse 2012-11-22 03:56

edit >> preferences | audio
check 'play in background' at bottom of screen.