Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   General Forum (read only) (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Changing DAW's (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=171364)

jwh1 2012-11-21 16:55

Changing DAW's
 
Hi
I'm new to this forum and as yet I haven't bought Reason.
I have, for the last three years been using SONAR, the producer version, I have now started writing more dance, techno type material, and looking about the net, it seems Reason may be the DAW I'm looking for, anyone like to let me know if this would the correct DAW for the type of music I'm writing ?

Cheers
John

Mate 2012-11-21 17:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwh1 (Post 1182330)
Hi
I'm new to this forum and as yet I haven't bought Reason.
I have, for the last three years been using SONAR, the producer version, I have now started writing more dance, techno type material, and looking about the net, it seems Reason may be the DAW I'm looking for, anyone like to let me know if this would the correct DAW for the type of music I'm writing ?

Cheers
John

Absolutely correct, mostly Reason cool for the electro kind of music, although you can write any kind of music in it as well!

jwh1 2012-11-21 17:06

Hi Mate
Thanks for your quick response, just trying to get a feel for this forum, and the people on it.

Cheers

LABONERECORDINGS 2012-11-21 17:23

Feel free to pick our brains bud, the Reason community is one very friendly area to be in, there's no flaming etc going on or dumbing down on users, we're all here to help each other, learn and evolve as much as possible, learning new tricks and gaining new friends along the way

If you do decide to join the Jolly Reason ship then hit me up anytime for any questions, and I'm sure there's other guys and girls on here willing to help where they can

:D

Mate 2012-11-21 17:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwh1 (Post 1182337)
Hi Mate
Thanks for your quick response, just trying to get a feel for this forum, and the people on it.

Cheers

Yo!

I think you should try demo & see by yourself: https://www.propellerheads.se/download/

dreampolice 2012-11-21 17:56

There is no right DAW for any genre. Both Reason and Sonar can do about anything you throw at them. I personally love Reason's workflow over every other DAW. But if you know Sonar well I would stay on Sonar. It is REALLY easy to go down the DAW rabbit hole and never make any music. Of course, the Reason community would love to have you. But I don't want you to be disappointed as there is no "magic bullet" DAW for electro music.

jwh1 2012-11-21 18:02

I appreciate what you're saying, but I think as well as the DAW, it's also the people using that particular DAW and the type of music they are writing, as I'm fairly new to electro type music, I will be able to reach more people here, for advice, than I will on the SONAR forum !

Cheers
John

jwh1 2012-11-21 18:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by LABONERECORDINGS (Post 1182344)
Feel free to pick our brains bud, the Reason community is one very friendly area to be in, there's no flaming etc going on or dumbing down on users, we're all here to help each other, learn and evolve as much as possible, learning new tricks and gaining new friends along the way

If you do decide to join the Jolly Reason ship then hit me up anytime for any questions, and I'm sure there's other guys and girls on here willing to help where they can

:D

Thanks
I appreciate it

John

dreampolice 2012-11-21 18:09

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zsk8csPxaPw&feature=plcp

superpatou 2012-11-21 18:58

Every single DAW in 2012 is a workhorse for most music. The only thing is how your brain works when you want to be creative and how that [brain] - [idea] - [interface] - [capture idea] - [finished product] connection will work.
Reason is perfect for people who "grew up" in studios or with hardware interconnected with each other. Some people found it stupid to virtually recreate an old paradigm on a computer screen. They found the cables patching in the back messy and frankly useless.
The thing is Reason is really good for people who are not into creating patches from scratch but still want their own sound. Youtube "reason combinator tutorial". Because of the rack system and because of the fact it is a plugin standard now, you don't have to re learn the basic every time you add some new fun kit inside Reason.

After your youtube search and maybe 1hr + of video suggestions you will have a better and more focused vision of how you will organize your [brain] - [idea] - [interface] - [capture idea] - [finished product] connection...


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 00:50.