Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   General Forum (read only) (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Which One For Electro/ Dance Music (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=171442)

jwh1 2012-11-22 21:26

Which One For Electro/ Dance Music

Hi,
I know I'm throwing a lot of questions about this forum, but I want to make up my mind in the next two weeks as to what new DAW I purchase.
FL Studio 10, Studio One, Ableton, compared to Reason 6.5, I would like some thoughts as to what's the better bang for my money, taking into account, learning curve, production values, ease of use, if I'm going to spend around £400, I want it to the right one I'm buying, I have downloaded some demo's, obviously Reason, Studio One, FL Studio, and Ableton, I'm going to play around with them but, I would like some experienced, techno, electro, house, trance, writers and producers to give me their thoughts.

Thanks

John

Djwill1s 2012-11-22 21:53

Reason. Koan sound and Kill the Noise use it, and its used as a production tool by the likes of Mord Fustang. The workflow is brilliant, as are the synths.

jwh1 2012-11-22 22:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Djwill1s (Post 1183199)
Reason. Koan sound and Kill the Noise use it, and its used as a production tool by the likes of Mord Fustang. The workflow is brilliant, as are the synths.

Thanks for the reply !!

koma7 2012-11-22 22:01

I've used a fair few DAW's, I can't adapt or work with any of them with as much ease or comfortably as Reason, Reason has something special the others don't in that way. It's your own virtual rack right there on your desktop, opposed to just another music program which feels too much like a music program.

DimitrisG 2012-11-22 22:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwh1 (Post 1183180)
Hi,
I know I'm throwing a lot of questions about this forum, but I want to make up my mind in the next two weeks as to what new DAW I purchase.
FL Studio 10, Studio One, Ableton, compared to Reason 6.5, I would like some thoughts as to what's the better bang for my money, taking into account, learning curve, production values, ease of use, if I'm going to spend around £400, I want it to the right one I'm buying, I have downloaded some demo's, obviously Reason, Studio One, FL Studio, and Ableton, I'm going to play around with them but, I would like some experienced, techno, electro, house, trance, writers and producers to give me their thoughts.

Thanks

John

Hello John

Well, you asking in Propellerhead forum which DAW is better.... what would you expect as an answer?

If I were you I would test in demo mode all the DAWs you mentioned and see what fits better with my needs, what DAW is more flexible and so on. In case I couldn't make up my mind I would go with the market's most popular so you would have more support from tutorials training courses etc.

I could speak up my thoughts more openly but here would sound like blasphemies... :)

for unbiased opinions go and ask somewhere else.

cheers.

jwh1 2012-11-22 22:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by koma7 (Post 1183205)
I've used a fair few DAW's, I can't adapt or work with any of them with as much ease or comfortably as Reason, Reason has something special the others don't in that way. It's your own virtual rack right there on your desktop, opposed to just another music program which feels too much like a music program.

Thanks for your input !

Mate 2012-11-22 22:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwh1 (Post 1183180)
Hi,

Thanks

John

It's your best shot https://www.propellerheads.se/shop/i...0058&Cat=10000 whatsoever!

jwh1 2012-11-22 22:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by DimitrisG (Post 1183211)
Hello John

Well, you asking in Propellerhead forum which DAW is better.... what would you expect as an answer?

If I were you I would test in demo mode all the DAWs you mentioned and see what fits better with my needs, what DAW is more flexible and so on. In case I couldn't make up my mind I would go with the market's most popular so you would have more support from tutorials training courses etc.

I could speak up my thoughts more openly but here would sound like blasphemies... :)

for unbiased opinions go and ask somewhere else.

cheers.

I appreciate what you're saying, I have been using Sonar for a few years and just want something that's more in keeping with the music I want to get into now, more electro, dance, house, so after doing a bit of research, I keep coming back to Reason, and the only thing that's putting me off is the fact that it does not support VST !!

DimitrisG 2012-11-22 22:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwh1 (Post 1183220)
I appreciate what you're saying, I have been using Sonar for a few years and just want something that's more in keeping with the music I want to get into now, more electro, dance, house, so after doing a bit of research, I keep coming back to Reason, and the only thing that's putting me off is the fact that it does not support VST !!

No doubt Reason is great for electronic music, but the VST part is a huge issue that worries me a lot too.

Ask your self if you really need these plugins, test Reason if it could somehow replace them with RE or with the existing devices within Reason.

But if you need these VSTs then go to Ableton , its no brainer.

scottym 2012-11-22 22:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwh1 (Post 1183220)

But you do have more options for expansion with RE's, however other hosts do have advantages such as supporting video as well which Reason doesn't currently have besides a few other things.

Basically it comes down to what you think is important and what you think you can get the most out of, eg. is it one you think you will grow and stick with, how stable an application is, do you like the workflow, the interface and interaction aspects, will it work with your computer harware/software setup, do you want to sell any plugin's for the software in the future.. ect..

When you have many of these things you will be in a better position to decide.