Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   Music Forum (read only) (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   My first ever Reason song (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=171697)

rodadod 2012-11-26 21:16

My first ever Reason song

Can you awesome dudes give me some constructive criticism on this please.
I would like to make it sound better with your help.
There's probably a lot wrong with it. But oh well, i'm just glad it's done because it was a pain. I've kind of used it as an experiment more than anything. I actually don't like the song at all anymore, kinda annoys me ha.
I've got plenty of better ideas and stuff in progress at the mo. I'm looking forward to getting em done!

cheers!

http://soundcloud.com/adam-roddis/worm-hole-2/s-mAzAS

PsyTale 2012-11-26 22:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by rodadod (Post 1185679)
Can you awesome dudes give me some constructive criticism on this please.
I would like to make it sound better with your help.
There's probably a lot wrong with it. But oh well, i'm just glad it's done because it was a pain. I've kind of used it as an experiment more than anything. I actually don't like the song at all anymore, kinda annoys me ha.
I've got plenty of better ideas and stuff in progress at the mo. I'm looking forward to getting em done!

cheers!

http://soundcloud.com/adam-roddis/worm-hole-2/s-mAzAS

Yes i can, the first thing I notice is that theres no bass throughout the whole track. The track seems static and a little mono aswel, you need to utilize the sonic spectrum better ;). I like your leads general ideas but you need to work it out. Maybe some sidechain action would be nice?!

How are you mixing? What speakers are you using, i am guessing your using headphones?

mastertonyd 2012-11-26 22:54

It's a good start! One question tho, is that the click track still in the background?

DIGITUS 2012-11-26 22:56

Not to be harsh, but currently it sounds like something playing out of a desk clock on an am radio station. It's very thin and weedy sounding. I like your basic song ideas but the structure/arrangement needs work. Try not to exhaust your audience by having one lead snyth bang out a riff forever. Try adding variety and change ups to keep things fresh. Also, the sounds you choose are very important. Listen to songs you like and try to choose similar sounds for your tracks. If you're just starting out with Reason then patience is a must. It takes a few years to really get one's head around the basics of music production. So watch youtube tutorials and read up as much as you can. Most importantly, keep writing music because experience teaches and words do not. I am by no means a know it all. I'm just offering constructive feedback as requested. Happy music trails... :)

JpPropellaed 2012-11-26 23:00

Rod ' what you have hear is a rather huge bag of Golden nuggets They need to be more carefully arranged ! as you yourself seem to realise , i can actually hear an arrangment myself ' so i wont Pussy foot ' are you up for passing the file out , for an alternative arrangement / REMIX ! Perhaps with The Remix being as close to your arrangement as Musically possible ' Hope this does not come across as Cheeky ' but more as a compliment ' so 2 speak ' Ps, you can alway reference my Scloud page there are numerous Remixes ' including a Nice big Trance Track ' Vocals from a Young Russian guy . The track is Russian federation RMX STEKLO ' ;) & on a personal note for some one who has wrote his first EDM ' Super work Dude ' , its just the arrangment ' all the Ryhms & leads are all really good sounds ' O & dont worry i wont be offended if the answer is NO , Jamie .... lol

rodadod 2012-11-27 00:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by JpPropellaed (Post 1185766)
Rod ' what you have hear is a rather huge bag of Golden nuggets They need to be more carefully arranged ! as you yourself seem to realise , i can actually hear an arrangment myself ' so i wont Pussy foot ' are you up for passing the file out , for an alternative arrangement / REMIX ! Perhaps with The Remix being as close to your arrangement as Musically possible ' Hope this does not come across as Cheeky ' but more as a compliment ' so 2 speak ' Ps, you can alway reference my Scloud page there are numerous Remixes ' including a Nice big Trance Track ' Vocals from a Young Russian guy . The track is Russian federation RMX STEKLO ' ;) & on a personal note for some one who has wrote his first EDM ' Super work Dude ' , its just the arrangment ' all the Ryhms & leads are all really good sounds ' O & dont worry i wont be offended if the answer is NO , Jamie .... lol

When i make it sound better i will be more than happy to!
I didnt even try with arrangement ha, just put a few things together, will probs have a proper think and arrange differently.

JpPropellaed 2012-11-27 01:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by rodadod (Post 1185846)
When i make it sound better i will be more than happy to!
I didnt even try with arrangement ha, just put a few things together, will probs have a proper think and arrange differently.

Ok Rod no problem ' i look forward to hearing your finished version ' just take your time with it ' i think you could probably knock up a Freakinstein_monster ' lol Good luck ;) Jamie..........

rodadod 2012-11-27 01:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by PsyTale (Post 1185727)
Yes i can, the first thing I notice is that theres no bass throughout the whole track. The track seems static and a little mono aswel, you need to utilize the sonic spectrum better ;). I like your leads general ideas but you need to work it out. Maybe some sidechain action would be nice?!

How are you mixing? What speakers are you using, i am guessing your using headphones?

Most was done on headphones, sennheisser 380hds. The bass was too prominent so i turned it down. Finished the song on m audio av40s, forgot the bass ha.
Due to quite alot of rack extension, reason kept stuttering and glitchy, became very hard to listen to it smoothly to mix.
How do i make it less mono? Ive got the drum n bass quite narrow on the panning but everything else quite wide.
I will give the structure a re think, might cut the first breakdown?
Might also change the riff up in places.
I like my intro and build up though.

rodadod 2012-11-27 01:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by JpPropellaed (Post 1185855)
Ok Rod no problem ' i look forward to hearing your finished version ' just take your time with it ' i think you could probably knock up a Freakinstein_monster ' lol Good luck ;) Jamie..........

cheers for your positive comments, you have given me hope!

rodadod 2012-11-27 01:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by mastertonyd (Post 1185762)
It's a good start! One question tho, is that the click track still in the background?

no lol, i actually wanted it to sound clicky, maybe not AS clicky but there you go ha