Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   General Forum (read only) (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Running Reason with a live band (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=171781)

turnuptheac 2012-11-28 04:44

Running Reason with a live band

Hey, I am new to Reason and I play in a band. I want to run Reason during and in-between my bands songs, but I am not sure how to do this. I want Reason and the drummer to be in sync at the same tempo. Does anyone know how this could be done?

sonicnurse 2012-11-28 15:01

The drummer would need a click from you on headphones or in ear monitors. And he needs to be supertight;-) Plus it's next to impossible to react to changes in timing the drummer does on your end, so you're pretty much tethering the whole band to your beat, as "slaves to the rhythm". I have bad experiences with such setups, but if everyone's ok to let the computer rhythm be the backbone of things, it can work out fine.

aisling 2012-11-28 16:15

ableton live!

sagana33 2012-11-28 16:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by triphop55 (Post 1187084)
ableton live!

You got me curious. What do you do with Ableton Live that's different from what sonicnurse suggested?

(Incidentally, if there's something automagical about this in Live, then you would just had to rewire Reason to it. Among other things, Rewire synchronizes tempos between master and slave.)

turnuptheac 2012-11-28 18:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by sonicnurse (Post 1187032)
The drummer would need a click from you on headphones or in ear monitors. And he needs to be supertight;-) Plus it's next to impossible to react to changes in timing the drummer does on your end, so you're pretty much tethering the whole band to your beat, as "slaves to the rhythm". I have bad experiences with such setups, but if everyone's ok to let the computer rhythm be the backbone of things, it can work out fine.

Do you know what I would need to get to have the click sent from Reason to headphones/ear monitors for the drummer?

rexbrewer 2012-11-29 01:27

I use both live on stage. And from my PE Ableton live is the way to go. You can trigger and arm synths on multiple channels at the click on a button which I couldn't figure out how to do with Reason other then to lock device to a synth.

turnuptheac 2012-11-29 02:18

Anyway, I'm basically now trying to figure out how get a click track to the drummer via headphones/in-ears, do you guys know how to set this up? what do I need after making the click to get it to the drummers ears?

kloeckno 2012-11-29 02:52

you have to have 2 sets of outputs from your soundcard. The first 2 go to the headphones, and the second 2 outputs go to the PA or whatever amplification you're using. Outputs 1 and 2 on the Hardware Device in Reason have the click track, all the rest of the outputs don't.

You would take the master output and put it through a Spider Audio Splitter, and have it go to outputs 1&2 and 3&4.

turnuptheac 2012-11-29 03:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by kloeckno (Post 1187564)
you have to have 2 sets of outputs from your soundcard. The first 2 go to the headphones, and the second 2 outputs go to the PA or whatever amplification you're using. Outputs 1 and 2 on the Hardware Device in Reason have the click track, all the rest of the outputs don't.

You would take the master output and put it through a Spider Audio Splitter, and have it go to outputs 1&2 and 3&4.

Thanks for the reply, why do I need two sets though? why not just one output for the click and one for the audio?

joeyluck 2012-11-29 06:16

I've done this before. I simply gave the drummer the exact same mix I was giving to front of house into a set of headphones. Nonetheless, he was an amazing drummer. He found getting a mix into his headphones worked best. Since the band was very loud onstage, it made for a great mix between his headphones and floor wedge monitor. A click track can be unnatural for some and can get lost in the mix. But it could work.