Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   Music Forum (read only) (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   On a rail [electro jam with sax appeal] (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=171802)

JiggeryPokery 2012-11-28 16:18

On a rail [electro jam with sax appeal]

So, I was dicking around with some RE testing last night, and this came out of it. Then this morning I thought... needs sax! I could probably tidy up some of the sax bending a bit, but ultimately it's a sampled sax, so what ya really gonna do?!

At seven minutes fifteen seconds, it's probably six minutes fifty nine seconds too long... but I get carried away.

Loading SoundCloud…

ReFill list;
Propellerhead: FSB (loops)
Jiggery-Pokery: Additions / Blue Meanie (leads)
Big Fish: Vintage Horns (baritone sax)

RE List:
Korg: Poly6 (bassline)
Izotope: Ozone
Jiggery-Pokery: Anansi / Itsy
Softtube: SatKnob / TSAR1R
Propellerhead: Pulsar

ryszard 2012-11-28 17:20

Intriguing as always. In most hands this could be tedious, but there are enough subtle variations to keep it interesting throughout. (That's an especially tasty sax lick at around 4:30.) Thanks for sharing.

MayorMcCheese 2012-11-28 18:46

Oh man, now I’ve got Happy Feet!!!

http://im.glogster.com/media/7/40/28/52/40285252.jpg
Hell, I just cut another groove in my hardwood floor. I'll send you the bill. Your Blue Meanie ReFill sounds too cute and sweet to be too mean. Ah, and now I’ve got to go try out Vintage Horns.

JiggeryPokery 2012-11-28 19:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by MayorMcCheese (Post 1187243)
Oh man, now I’ve got Happy Feet!!!

http://im.glogster.com/media/7/40/28/52/40285252.jpg
Hell, I just cut another groove in my hardwood floor. I'll send you the bill. Your Blue Meanie ReFill sounds too cute and sweet to be too mean. Ah, and now I’ve got to go try out Vintage Horns.

Yes, it does groove along quite nicely. Way too long though, it's a little self-indulgent, throwaway number.

Hehe, I'm only using VHorns it cos I paid so bleedin' much for it I've got to. I did bolster it with a Line6 amp actually. I'm sure you could get fairly similar results in FSB.

The BM lead is the soft wobbly sound in the first half ("Costa del coffee" or something like that). Apart from the Poly6 bass, everything else is from Additions. (Heck, the arp, the panning percussion (which I'm running through a Pulsar'd Itsy) and the chord hit are just one K5m patch ;) ).

MayorMcCheese 2012-11-28 21:57

JP - With your permission, may I record and throw your track into Reason and add a few things of mine that are sticking in my head? The track isn’t too long at all because of the variety of Happy Feet!!! moods and emotions that you create; and the baritone sax has a lot to do with defining the variances. The sax is sort of like Louis Armstrong saying “.. That’s just about right ..” or “.. You blows who you is ..” in between riffs.

If you give permission, I’ll take the liberty of posting my version here in the next day or so. You know, kind of like pushedbutton’s “track tennis”. And I’m glad you mentioned the Additions ReFill. I thoroughly enjoyed the Song Competition we did with it awhile back and I’m gonna pull that bad boy up again.

Edit: Oh, and I have no doubt that Ray would approve of your track. One thing sticking in my head: I want to compare our Manzarek moves.

JiggeryPokery 2012-11-28 22:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by MayorMcCheese (Post 1187391)

If you give permission, I’ll take the liberty of posting my version here in the next day or so. You know, kind of like pushedbutton’s “track tennis”.

Go for it. You want the original reason file too?

MayorMcCheese 2012-11-28 22:40

Hey, that would be great but I didn't want to be so bold and ask. If you do allow me full access and abuse of your .reason file, I might bring things down to seven minutes five seconds. Seriously, I'd love to work with your file.

TheFatControlleR 2012-11-28 22:59

We like it, that sax sample is chunky and funky. :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by JiggeryPokery (Post 1187295)
... Way too long though, it's a little self-indulgent, throwaway number..

Pretty much describes my entire output. ;)

JiggeryPokery 2012-11-28 23:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by MayorMcCheese (Post 1187430)
Hey, that would be great but I didn't want to be so bold and ask. If you do allow me full access and abuse of your .reason file, I might bring things down to seven minutes five seconds. Seriously, I'd love to work with your file.

Ok, mate, I'll upload it tomorrow.

I realised earlier today why I had sax on the brain - Morphine's "Top Floor, Bottom Buzzer" came up on my phones mp3 shuffle while on the train the other day. Those kinds of groovin' bari sax riffs were their speciality. It's from their final album "The Night". Great band, much missed (frontman Mark Sandman died on stage), so check 'em out if you don't know them.

rVOLT 2012-11-28 23:03

This song reminds me of a cheeseburger I had in 2006