Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   Feature Suggestion Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   What is the consensus on Reason's Sound Engine? (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=171891)

standbyghost 2012-11-29 23:20

What is the consensus on Reason's Sound Engine?

I know this is a crappy subject for some of you, and I don't know enough about it to really even put in my two cents, but I hear people talk about Reason's sound engine being weaker than some other DAWs. What is the general consensus regarding this in the user community? Should we rally for an overhaul of this core concept in the programming architecture? Any thoughts welcome!

esperdiv 2012-11-30 00:38

People don't realize something. The mathematical code to mix channels in a DAW is...

the mighty addition.

That's it. There's no secret to it. So DAW A saying they have a better sound engine than DAW B are basically saying that they make better additions.

Can we stop arguing about who does better additions?

lunastationnadj 2012-11-30 00:47

As far as I can tell, the "weak" sound people talk about is almost always down to the user's inability to mix properly to get power and definition into the low mids. It does take a bit more work in Reason, as VST synths tend to do a lot of work for you. We have the most advanced routing system available in software; some people need to learn to enjoy getting their hands dirty round the back of the rack.

Does anyone else with more technical knowledge agree with me on this?

esperdiv 2012-11-30 02:05

Completely agree. Thing is, most VSTs go for big lush presets which may sound nice when auditioning but are a pain in the a** to properly mix.

I'd rather have a flexible routing system and simple synths that I can EQ, combine and mix to get a bigger sound.

lunastationnadj 2012-11-30 02:21

Exactly.

Oh, and to the guy who started the thread, I sincerely wasn't trying to suggest you had an inferior ability to get the best out of Reason. I understand you were just fielding opinion on the subject.

rogerlevy 2012-11-30 02:22

There can't be anything wrong with the sound engine itself, it can't affect quality if it's using 64-bit math internally.

Things can be done to improve DSP but it takes a lot of work and time. They manage to get it to a good enough point with each release. Maybe in 7 it will get better. And then we might see improved quality in future RE's to take advantage of the freed CPU cycles.

Hopefully this thread won't become a debate about something that's pretty absurd to discuss.

normen 2012-11-30 02:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by standbyghost (Post 1188299)
I know this is a crappy subject for some of you, and I don't know enough about it to really even put in my two cents, but I hear people talk about Reason's sound engine being weaker than some other DAWs. What is the general consensus regarding this in the user community? Should we rally for an overhaul of this core concept in the programming architecture? Any thoughts welcome!

A digital mixer adds values, what could possibly go wrong? If somebody told you Reasons mixer sounds worse than any other DAWs mixer you are a victim of bullshit I'm afraid :)

lilphilly 2012-11-30 03:19

Im down for anything thats gonna sound better sonic wise!!! Ive heard that too..but any good producer/engineer can make a great quality record, if they got the skill!!! I hate protools!!! Reasons the shit!!! Yeah, victim of bullshit!!! Real talk...cg

dudelab21 2012-11-30 03:45

So moral of the story is, DON'T BE A VICTIM OF BULLSH1T. ;)

lunastationnadj 2012-11-30 04:10

"Ask lots of questions, don't eat the bullshit"