Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   Feature Suggestion Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Allow individuals to create Rack Extensions (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=171892)

kreek 2012-11-29 23:21

Allow individuals to create Rack Extensions

I had a great idea for a RE and then I got the developer page and found that you had to have a company (or be part of one) to develop extensions. If Apple can have individuals and companies submit apps I don't see why Propellerheads couldn't. You'd still be the gate-keeper for RE approval and release.

I live in California and it's quite cost prohibitive to start a company just to develop a RE, having a CA company costs $800 minimum even if your company makes $0.

Reason has a large hobbyist user base, let the people in so they can make great REs :)

thanks!

CUBRICON 2012-11-30 06:48

Where do you live?

First of all, I agree that the SDK should be public so that more people can try programming.

I especially think that this would be an interesting tool to teach audio programming with.

However, concerning business licenses, you don't need to spend $800!

Here in Santa Clara, California, it costs $15 for the license plus $32.35 for a "Home Occupation Light/Ordinary Hazard:" inspection.

So, basically, $47.35.

Of course, price may vary depending on the city you live in, e.g. San Jose is $150/year or so.

But $800? Propellerheads isn't asking you to form an LLC !

so, check your city, or just google it "business license in (your city)

peace,
-Cubricon

vanKloot 2012-12-14 20:15

I was gonna say the same thing. I have multiple companies, from sole proprietorships to s and c corps. I'm also in Santa Clara and a business license is cheap. Plus I don't see anywhere that props are requiring registration proof, and anyone can start a business simply by deciding to - no cost at all.

I'm very intrigued at creating REs so I think I will be signing up so I can get an idea of what's involved, and start looking for a developer to do the coding work.

BrianDrake 2012-12-21 07:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by kreek (Post 1188300)
I had a great idea for a RE and then I got the developer page and found that you had to have a company (or be part of one) to develop extensions. If Apple can have individuals and companies submit apps I don't see why Propellerheads couldn't. You'd still be the gate-keeper for RE approval and release.

I live in California and it's quite cost prohibitive to start a company just to develop a RE, having a CA company costs $800 minimum even if your company makes $0.

Reason has a large hobbyist user base, let the people in so they can make great REs :)

thanks!

I'm in San Diego and it cost me less than $100 total (registration plus the cost of publishing in a newspaper for 4 weeks). I didn't even need a separate bank account.

Lunesis 2012-12-21 07:55

It's quality control really.

devilfish 2012-12-21 09:06

If I could, I would programming a modular module component after another.. :D

Unfortunately, I can not program dsp or java or c++ or something...

selig 2012-12-21 16:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by CUBRICON (Post 1188574)
First of all, I agree that the SDK should be public so that more people can try programming.

I especially think that this would be an interesting tool to teach audio programming with.

However, concerning business licenses, you don't need to spend $800!

Here in Santa Clara, California, it costs $15 for the license plus $32.35 for a "Home Occupation Light/Ordinary Hazard:" inspection.

So, basically, $47.35.

Of course, price may vary depending on the city you live in, e.g. San Jose is $150/year or so.

But $800? Propellerheads isn't asking you to form an LLC !

so, check your city, or just google it "business license in (your city)

peace,
-Cubricon

FYI, in Utah it's $75 to form an LLC… :-)

chou 2012-12-21 17:19

don't forget the PH shop collect all our credit card numbers,

I'm pretty sure PH is obliged to put this condition to be able to open such a shop.

Starwave 2012-12-23 16:51

I think Rack extensions SDK should be downloaded freely to allow programmers time to learn and develop rack extensions.
Then when a rack extension was completed I agree filtering by Propellerhead before publishing to preserve quality and reliability.
Actually there is no information about how can be programmed (C++, Objective-C,?), there are no examples, ...
Now Propellerhead filtering is absolute just from the beginning, and access to SDK, documentation, examples,... is forbidden. I think Propellerhead should give free access to SDK, documentation, examples,... and filtering should be made just at the momemt to publish rack extension. Maybe this can contribute to expand rack extensions gallery.

pushedbutton 2012-12-23 17:10

I'd rather keep standards high and viruses out of the equation.
It only takes one bad apple to write some code to steal your credentials or turn your computer into a bot and the whole program is borked for good.