Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   General Forum (read only) (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   What specs are you running? (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=172008)

danhogg 2012-12-01 14:12

What specs are you running?

So lately my Mac (3.4 intel i7, 8GB DDR3 Ram OS X) Is running pretty slow when running Reason 6.5 wired with Cubase 6.5. To be fair I do have a lot of effects and units running at the same time and I sometimes get the message "unable to handle midi load" or something similar. Its starting to crackle, pop, and stutter when i play back the track as well.

I do require a lot of power for all the stuff im running so what do you think would be a more ideal spec? Intel i7 with 8GB ram I thought would have been sufficient but apparently not.

Are there any settings on my mac i can change to optimize for audio? Ive done all the basics stuff like turning off wifi and using an Ethernet cable for internet access etc. Would be interesting to hear other people specs and what they are doing.

Thanks.

MattLeschuck 2012-12-01 18:34

are you running in 64bit or 32bit? Im almost sure if in the 32 you can only utilize 4gigs of your ram.. I may be wrong, but i think this is the case.. For this reason, I stopped using PT10 w/ reason rewired because large sessions just couldn't handle it.

I now use Logic 9 w/ reason and run 64bit mode (PT doesn't support this) and utilize all my ram if needed (16gigs).. No problems so far

My computer is a Macbook Pro 2.6ghz i7 quad core with 16gb of ram

danhogg 2012-12-01 22:28

Ye im using 64bit OS so its making use of all that ram. Maybe I need to upgrade to 16gb for it to handle all the stuff going on.

KryoShift 2012-12-02 07:46

My new MBP 13" often dips into the 4GB+ RAM used range running OS X 10.8.2, more than I regularly saw with an older 2008 model that only had 4GB running Lion. Granted, some of it's just "wired" but "inactive" (ie OS X will reassign it when needed, but for the time being, is letting it stayed loaded with what was using it previously). I picked up 16GB from OWC for $95 (always used OWC RAM in my Macs, never had a problem).

That said, pops/crackles are often CPU-related. You can try making the audio buffer higher/larger, that will lower CPU strain a lot.

ETalk 2012-12-02 09:04

Hi,

According to the very knowledgable guy who built my PC, every program (Reason, Cubase etc) uses large amounts of ram. Once you begin adding vsts and Res then that's even more ram. By the time you've got all of this running you'll more than likely have gone past your 8Gb of ram and you'll be using hard drive space as virtual ram. Apparently this isn't good for it! This guy's company builds PCs specifically for audio use, nothing else.
Yes, your CPU probably should be maxed out here but I'd recommend getting that 16Gb ram kit which should easily deal with loads you're putting it under.

Won't cost that much either!

Grumbleweed 2012-12-02 09:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonmaybey (Post 1190171)
Hi,

According to the very knowledgable guy who built my PC, every program (Reason, Cubase etc) uses large amounts of ram. Once you begin adding vsts and Res then that's even more ram. By the time you've got all of this running you'll more than likely have gone past your 8Gb of ram and you'll be using hard drive space as virtual ram. Apparently this isn't good for it! This guy's company builds PCs specifically for audio use, nothing else.
Yes, your CPU probably should be maxed out here but I'd recommend getting that 16Gb ram kit which should easily deal with loads you're putting it under.

Won't cost that much either!

So a couple of years ago 4 gig of ram was enough and now need 16. That's scary. Whose motherboard can handle the 64 gigs we''ll need in two years time?

Grum.

ETalk 2012-12-02 12:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grumbleweed (Post 1190177)
So a couple of years ago 4 gig of ram was enough and now need 16. That's scary. Whose motherboard can handle the 64 gigs we''ll need in two years time?

Grum.

Yeah as usual with technology, it's ratio of hardware to software growth is exponential. I splashed out on an i7 3770K and a Z77 Motherboard with all the trimmings just to keep up with the Jones's for the next few years (hopefully!)

Money, money, money... Unfortunately I bought this at the same time that the RE shop opened, so no nice REs for me for a while! :(

ETalk 2012-12-02 12:05

Oh and no, my Motherboard will go upto 32GB as far as I know. I think that hexcore architecture is required for 64+GB isn't it?

devilfish 2012-12-02 12:33

i5 @ 3,6Ghz with 8GB-RAM, Win8 Pro 64bit and the RME Hammerfall DSP 9632 :D

EnochLight 2012-12-02 15:00

Check my sig. :D

(But for those who have sigs turned off: Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Intel i7 3770k Quad-Core @ 4.2 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | OCZ Vertex 4 SSD)