Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   Feature Suggestion Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Major Delay Compensation Bug!! (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=172105)

Michael1985 2012-12-03 10:41

Major Delay Compensation Bug!!

Major Delay Compensation Bug:

The new crossfade tool which I use much, offers a really annoying delay compensation bug. If I crossfade between two signals, one of them is delayed. You hear it too clear.

Maybe you should create a better or even a delay compensation, if it is not there, which compensate the latency which is caused by the different effects.

Edit:
It is NOT the Crossfader! The crossfader is REALLY nice, I like it! BUT it is Reason, which dont has a proper delay compensation!

normen 2012-12-03 11:31

Morfin? No it doesn't. Maybe your FX chain on the other channel adds the delay, Morfin doesn't. Some plugins cause delays but in Reason delays are not compensated, like in a real studio.

Michael1985 2012-12-03 15:04

I said I realize it with morfin because one of the two signals is delayed.

No delay compensation within Reason?
Really really bad...

My other DAWs like Studio One have it...
All out of sync, Reason unusable if you use one dry and one signal with many effects at the same time!!

jlgrimes 2012-12-03 15:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael1985 (Post 1190791)

Really really bad...

All out of sync, Reason unusable if you use one dry and one signal with many effects at the same time!!

Haven't tried this device but other devices have these issues. Hope Reason have a fix for this.

normen 2012-12-03 17:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael1985 (Post 1190791)

Really really bad...

Its easy to offer delay compensation when a cannel is totally separate from the rest of the signal flow and maybe just has a sidechain input like in other DAWs, in Reason you can pull cables from anywhere to anywhere else, making delay compensation something very unpredictable and hard to handle. Even if it had delay compensation, it would be easier to handle it manually. Also only a few effects add latency, just put the same delay on the other channel.

Michael1985 2012-12-03 20:29

Yes, a manual delay comenpensation adjustment possibility would be enough if it is necessary.

You say, a automatic dly comp is impossible, but it is nothing else than in every other DAW: a signal gets through effects and the signal gets delayed, the other signals not.

normen 2012-12-03 20:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael1985 (Post 1191009)
Yes, a manual delay comenpensation adjustment possibility would be enough if it is necessary.

You say, a automatic dly comp is impossible, but it is nothing else than in every other DAW: a signal gets through effects and the signal gets delayed, the other signals not.

Yes it is different, for other DAWs theres only one spot where they have to compensate: Where the channel gets mixed into the bus (or the bus into the output) and the user always knows this. In Reason that can be anywhere in the signal flow, even between two plugins. And if you delay that other channel it could in turn again influence something else (like a CV or split output).

And you can compensate manually already as I said, just add a delay in the channel that has none atm (DDL-1 with feedback set to zero).

jlgrimes 2012-12-03 21:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by nhansen (Post 1191017)
Yes it is different, for other DAWs theres only one spot where they have to compensate: Where the channel gets mixed into the bus (or the bus into the output) and the user always knows this. In Reason that can be anywhere in the signal flow, even between two plugins. And if you delay that other channel it could in turn again influence something else (like a CV or split output).

And you can compensate manually already as I said, just add a delay in the channel that has none atm (DDL-1 with feedback set to zero).

Maybe Auto PDC might be harder to implement than other DAWS but I wouldn't think it is impossible.

I think we all know some extra code would be involved and would take some time for the Props to make sure everything is running smoothly and efficiently.

At some point Props will have to address this. It probably even is creating issues on the type of plug-ins that can be designed for REs. Certain VST plug-ins add a huge amount of latency (Izotope Nectar).

normen 2012-12-03 21:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlgrimes (Post 1191053)
Maybe Auto PDC might be harder to implement than other DAWS but I wouldn't think it is impossible.

I think we all know some extra code would be involved and would take some time for the Props to make sure everything is running smoothly and efficiently.

At some point Props will have to address this. It probably even is creating issues on the type of plug-ins that can be designed for REs. Certain VST plug-ins add a huge amount of latency (Izotope Nectar).

I don't say its impossible, just that its nearly impossible to make sense of the signal flow if it was automated. But for some things, like sidechain routings back to the channel it is indeed impossible to solve these, in other DAWs you couldn't even make a signal flow that complicated. Its no problem putting a negative delay on a channel to counter delays on that channels signal flow, just like in other DAWs. But again, thats not the only place where Reason would have to compensate. Other DAWs solely need to advance the channels and it has no implications on the signal flow.