Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   General Forum (read only) (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   New audio interface (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=172156)

Dogboy1973 2012-12-04 07:09

New audio interface

Ive been thinking it might be time I started thinking about a new audio interface to replace my trusty but ageing M-Audio Delta 44. I'd be looking for something similar but a bit more up to date with the highest audio quality possible. So, top quality with at least 4x4 audio i/o ..... That's about it! MIDI i/o might be a bonus so I could replace my equally ageing M-Audio 2x2 MIDIman interface.

I'm usually pretty up on this stuff but I've not been paying much attention lately and now I realise it's a bit of a mind field out there! :confused: the Delta is a PCI board with breakout box. I kind of like that idea and previously I was a bit worried about going for a USB / FireWire interface. Should this be a worry these days? Finally budget .... Erm, not sure. Let's say up to £500 as a ball park figure. Anything within that range would be cool though ;)

ETalk 2012-12-04 09:03

Hi,

In order to help out (I hope!) it'd be useful to know what kind of spec computer you'll be running it with?
Some processor/motherboard combos just aren't upto the job nowadays!

Anyways you'll get something fairly good with your budget whatever you end up choosing :)

devilfish 2012-12-04 09:14

in the best case you take a intern PCI(e) card.
I recommend a RME Hammerfall DSP System

http://www.rme-audio.de/products_hdsp_9632.php

it is made in Germany ;)

EDIT:

and you get DIGICHECK also:

http://www.ronnypries.de/wp-content/.../totalyser.jpg

Dogboy1973 2012-12-04 09:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonmaybey (Post 1191295)
It'd be useful to know what kind of spec computer you'll be running it with? Some processor/motherboard combos just aren't upto the job nowadays! Anyways you'll get something fairly good with your budget whatever you end up choosing :)

Computer needs an upgrade as well, no doubt about that. It's a way off but I may end up getting an iMac ..... though most likely I'll build another PC around an i5/i7 CPU with enough RAM to take over a small country! ;)

Dogboy1973 2012-12-04 09:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by devilfish (Post 1191303)
in the best case you take a intern PCI(e) card.
I recommend a RME Hammerfall DSP System

http://www.rme-audio.de/products_hdsp_9632.php

One of my mates uses RME Hammerfall and says it's top draw. I look the idea of one of these with this 4x4 audio i/o expansion board. Very nice & I wouldn't have to concern myself with any USB woes, which is very appealing. A PCI/PCI-e board has got to be better than a USB/Firewire option even today surely?

devilfish 2012-12-04 10:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dogboy1973 (Post 1191315)
One of my mates uses RME Hammerfall and says it's top draw. I look the idea of one of these with this 4x4 audio i/o expansion board. Very nice & I wouldn't have to concern myself with any USB woes, which is very appealing. A PCI/PCI-e board has got to be better than a USB/Firewire option even today surely?

yes..

PCI or PCIe is much faster and much more stable than this USB sh*t!!!
The Firewire (Multifaces by RME) are pretty good also.

with the RME9632 you have ADAT IN and OUT.. Midi In and Out and also SPDIF and a good headphone preamp.
in combination with a "Marian Adcon" ADAT interface (8x IN&OUT) it is the ultimate weapon ;)

The RME-Card sounds very clear and analytically.
It does not add any coloring and does not distort.

i had a

Emu 1616M PCI (good)
M-Audio Delta 2496 (mhh okay)
Motu 828MK2 (good)

but the RME is still the best for me.
it is stable, it sounds f*cking clean and it has the lowest possible latency i had ever used.

EDIT: and the drivers are always up to date!!

do not start laughing now ..
but this track on soundcloud, below (gain toy demo),
I've produced it with the onboard sound-card from my motherboard and an ASIO4ALL driver.. :D

Mizio 2012-12-04 14:10

I had:

Pulsar - Great audio card and very detailed sound
EMU 1616M (Great mastering converters but poor built quality and patchmix not intuitive)
MOTU Ultralite inferior to the 2 mentioned above
Fireface 400 - great converters - great driver - super intuitive total mix

I have now sold FF400 and have a Komplete Audio 6, Apogee Duet2

If you are on a PC
Focusrite Forte
If you are on a MAC
Apogee duet 2, Quartet or Metric Halo ULN2

devilfish 2012-12-04 14:21

ohh I forgot the Creamware Pulsar ..
very good Audio AD/DA quality!
and the best routing possibilities i have ever used!

the patchmix from emu is bullsh*t and the effects on the Emu DSP also..

DimitrisG 2012-12-04 15:39

I suggest that you go with a usb audio interface, not firewire not PCI. Firewire 400 is slower than usb 2 firewire 800 is way slower than usb 3. Fire wire is not that common in computers this days and is old, only a few motherboards have fire wire build-in these days.

PCI is outdated and if you planing to use this card for years is not a recommended type of connection unless you go for a PCI E card that is also not recommended because you would be limited in a desktop computers, lets say some day you want to connect your card in a laptop...

You will sell easier a usb card

If most of the times you are recording a single instrument, then dont buy a card with four build in expensive preamps . You can buy a pre amplifer way better than any of these cards could offer, but most of the times these pre amps are a bit expencive

Also in case you know how to build a pc don't be stupid to buy a imac. Apple sucks (your money) to offer you some style and at the bottom line basically is a trend, n nothing more. The days of apples superiority are over . You could build a hackintosh, because hardwere wise pc's are equal to macs (or better) And don't think ram will save you, its the CPU that matters, so only i7 for producers, even gamers buying i7's to play stupid war games. with 8 gigs of ram you will be able to produce masterpieces.

Also if you sample a lot buy an 192 kHz card as it will allow you to pitch down your sample non destructively . Btw this is a huge thumbs down to Balance.

devilfish 2012-12-04 15:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by DimitrisG (Post 1191452)

PCI is outdated and if you planing to use this card for years is not a recommended type of connection unless you go for a PCI E card that is also not recommended because you would be limited in a desktop computers, lets say some day you want to connect your card in a laptop...

And what if the drivers are not updated?
then you lose!
whether PCI, PCIe, Firewire or USB2/3..

or a new product line with new drivers is available
and the old products will be no longer supported ..

i has had this sh*t with one Audio-Card and 2 Midi (8x8) Interfaces..
and i can tell you: it sucks!!!!!!!!!!!

The RME 9632 driver is since 2003 up to date ;)
look at their page: Driverupdate for Windows XP, XP64, Vista, Vista 64, Windows 7/8 32/64 & MAC
Date: 12/16/2013 !

EDIT:

or a company is thinking like Creamware (Sonic Core)
it will cost you 159€ to have the new Scope-Platform that is compatible with Win7 64bit!
Otherwise, you can use this card only for win xp...

the only thing I can personally recommend with good conscience is to buy a RME.