Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   General Forum (read only) (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Reason 5 - Save issue (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=172363)

Davey0001 2012-12-08 11:00

Reason 5 - Save issue

Hi all,

I was gigging last night using Reason 5 as a virtual rack. At the last minute I made a couple of minor changes to the song which held all the instruments for my set and then I went to save those changes.

However, after this save I still had a little star against the set name in the top of application, suggesting that something had changed since the last save.

This got me pretty worried as it looked like the save hadn't taken place properly.

So I then went down each combinator and saved each one individually and then made the overall song save, and this then worked.

Any thoughts? It scared the crap out of me last night. I thought Reason was going bananas on me.

Cheers,

Dave

platzangst 2012-12-08 11:33

Well, since none of us were looking over your shoulder, we can only speculate as to some possibilities:

1) You saved, and then something happened to quickly and slightly change the song. Did you have an active keyboard controller that may have moved a knob or slider?

2) You thought you saved, but somehow you didn't actually save. Did you have more than one song open, and save the other song instead?

3) Unregistered copies of Reason may be unstable.

4) Poltergeists.

BonezMcCoy 2012-12-08 11:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by platzangst (Post 1193867)
3) Unregistered copies of Reason may be unstable.

Unregistered copies are not unstable. Cracked copies might be so. If the OP owns a legit, though as yet unregistered, licence of Reason 5, there is nothing to fear in terms of quirky behaviour. Registering might be a good idea though, so they can update their R5 to R5.0.1.

platzangst 2012-12-08 11:56

I was trying to be diplomatic about the possibility.

BonezMcCoy 2012-12-08 12:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by platzangst (Post 1193879)
I was trying to be diplomatic about the possibility.

I don't think it is diplomatic to say unregistered copies are unstable, it is just plain wrong and might lead to misunderstandings.

platzangst 2012-12-08 12:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by BonezMcCoy (Post 1193883)
I don't think it is diplomatic to say unregistered copies are unstable, it is just plain wrong and might lead to misunderstandings.

1) Cracks are a subset of unregistered copies.

2) What sort of naive person would misunderstand?

BonezMcCoy 2012-12-08 13:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by platzangst (Post 1193913)
1) Cracks are a subset of unregistered copies.

2) What sort of naive person would misunderstand?

Those naive enough to think that the R5 they bought from a store will not work properly because seasoned users on the product forum say so. And cracks are a subset of unregistered copies, i.e., cracks are a subset of legitimate (though as yet unregistered) copies? Interesting view. Still, it is plain wrong to say unregistered copies are unstable. You are basically telling users that if they don't register their legitimately acquired boxed copies, they will NOT work properly, or, worse, that R6.5 demo is unstable until you buy and, consequently, register it.

platzangst 2012-12-08 20:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by BonezMcCoy (Post 1193925)
Those naive enough to think that the R5 they bought from a store will not work properly because seasoned users on the product forum say so. And cracks are a subset of unregistered copies, i.e., cracks are a subset of legitimate (though as yet unregistered) copies? Interesting view.

Oh, come on, don't be that dim. You're reading into this words I never said, and you're extracting meanings that aren't there. "Unregistered copies" does not automatically convey legitimacy. There are two types of unregistered copies: Those purchased legitimately, and those which aren't. Cracks are a subset of "unregistered copies", by sheer elemental obviousness.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BonezMcCoy (Post 1193925)
Still, it is plain wrong to say unregistered copies are unstable. You are basically telling users that if they don't register their legitimately acquired boxed copies, they will NOT work properly, or, worse, that R6.5 demo is unstable until you buy and, consequently, register it.

No. You are fighting to solve a problem that does not exist.

Although, the fact I am having to explain this to you is your own best evidence, I guess. If you assume that all unregistered copies are legitimately bought, you might have a case there, but as noted above, they aren't. Some unregistered copies are cracks.

Let's be realistic: There are very few good reasons to not register any version of Reason. Anyone who shows up in this forum and talks about their using Reason, especially if they show any amount of experience with it, and they do not have a Reason icon by their name? There's a very strong possibility they're using a pirated version. In fact, I'd be willing to guess that would be the majority. The only other people I can think of are the folks who sell their Reason license and then hang around the General Forum to criticize or bash Reason and its users.

Pirates and trolls: those people are going to know exactly what I imply if I say "unregistered copies may be unstable" - in other words, "one type of unregistered copy, cracks, might be unstable". And even if someone who has legitimately purchased a copy of Reason is so ingenuous as to assume I mean all unregistered copies including legitimate ones, one would like to hope answering a follow-up question like "really? how?" would immediately clear all that up for anyone over the age of 12.

BonezMcCoy 2012-12-08 23:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by platzangst (Post 1194115)
Oh, come on, don't be that dim. You're reading into this words I never said, and you're extracting meanings that aren't there. "Unregistered copies" does not automatically convey legitimacy. There are two types of unregistered copies: Those purchased legitimately, and those which aren't. Cracks are a subset of "unregistered copies", by sheer elemental obviousness.

No. You are fighting to solve a problem that does not exist.

Although, the fact I am having to explain this to you is your own best evidence, I guess. If you assume that all unregistered copies are legitimately bought, you might have a case there, but as noted above, they aren't. Some unregistered copies are cracks.

Let's be realistic: There are very few good reasons to not register any version of Reason. Anyone who shows up in this forum and talks about their using Reason, especially if they show any amount of experience with it, and they do not have a Reason icon by their name? There's a very strong possibility they're using a pirated version. In fact, I'd be willing to guess that would be the majority. The only other people I can think of are the folks who sell their Reason license and then hang around the General Forum to criticize or bash Reason and its users.

Pirates and trolls: those people are going to know exactly what I imply if I say "unregistered copies may be unstable" - in other words, "one type of unregistered copy, cracks, might be unstable". And even if someone who has legitimately purchased a copy of Reason is so ingenuous as to assume I mean all unregistered copies including legitimate ones, one would like to hope answering a follow-up question like "really? how?" would immediately clear all that up for anyone over the age of 12.

Wow! Sorry I have bothered you that much. I shall leave this thread and let you police in peace, officer. Keep shooting first and asking later.