Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   Feature Suggestion Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   loops (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=172645)

lukestubbs 2012-12-13 06:08

loops

I just have a really stupid new question: Is there a way in Reason to loop one track in a song and keep others playing. I know DrRex plays loops, but if I create a phrase, or a beat or something in midi - for example on an nnxt rhodes sound - and i think I'd like to jam over that for a while and record my other ideas... Can I do that?

For example on my korg, I can chose which track, between which bars and loop them, then go on playing everywhere else. if not possible in the program, is there a rack extension that would do that?

nhsh 2012-12-13 13:57

If the part you want to repeat is monophonic, you can program it in a matrix and that would keep on looping.

If it's more sophisticated, put it in a short Block and paint the Block over the length of your sequence.

Monkatron 2012-12-13 19:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by lukestubbs (Post 1197419)
I just have a really stupid new question: Is there a way in Reason to loop one track in a song and keep others playing. I know DrRex plays loops, but if I create a phrase, or a beat or something in midi - for example on an nnxt rhodes sound - and i think I'd like to jam over that for a while and record my other ideas... Can I do that?

For example on my korg, I can chose which track, between which bars and loop them, then go on playing everywhere else. if not possible in the program, is there a rack extension that would do that?

yes, you can definitely do this. its how i create 99.9 of my music.

set the in point at 1 bar and the out point to be how ever long you want it to. (in reason they call this L & R for some reason)

make sure the loop function is high lighted at the bottom right hand side of the record functions.
hit record. you can use the dub /atl for takes then double click on the midi track to select your desired midi note arrangement.

repeat for new instruments ect..

hope this helps..

lukestubbs 2013-01-05 13:24

Thanks for your replies. Took me a while to come back and check... No notifications on I guess. I thought reason would have something a little more "loopy".

danktle 2013-01-05 23:11

Hmm... I just started a thread requesting the ability to feed midi input to the Matrix Pattern Sequencer in a step-recorder fashion. This would work for simple synth lines that you could build much more quickly than dragging the notes around the screen like you have to do now.

The pushbutton Redrum and Thor programmers, as well as the 32 note Matrix are vital "Old School" sequencer tools that really aren't necessary in the day and age of Computer Sequencing, but they help greatly to accomodate different working styles. Some folks like to do it one way, others like to do things differently. Many of us have gotten quite used to the "limitations" inside of Reason, but I agree that the more ways to reach instant gratification in the songwriting/arranging process, the better. If the Matrix would do polyphonic input (which would probably cause issues with a CV style interface), you could wind up having something like the Akkord in Native Instruments Reaktor.

In the meantime, I suggest starting with a loop length of your choice, recording the loop quickly, and then using the CTRL-C/CTRL-V shortcuts to create 5 or 6 (or however long) minutes of looping track, and then record freely on a new track/new instrument. This method has never taken me more than a minute or so to rough out a song skeleton that I can edit and tweak into a finished product later.

razingspiral 2013-01-06 19:42

Have you tried block mode?

You could create as complex arrangement as you like in, say, block1 and draw that into your main track. That way you could easilty set up, say, an 8 bar 'loop' while setting reason's loop markers to, say, 32 bars then you could noodle for those 32 bars and record as many takes as you like.

lukestubbs 2013-01-18 10:56

Thank you, I have. And I agree it is not that hard. IT'S just that in my Kronos, I just choose the track, click loop, select which bars to loop, and continue playing on the other tracks. I thought that the sequencer on kronos should be more basic than an advanced program like reason...