Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   General Forum (read only) (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Tiggering sequences like Ableton? (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=172738)

TomDep 2012-12-14 23:13

Tiggering sequences like Ableton?

Hi,
After 7 years of being a guitarist I finally decided to write my owns songs, not only guitars for my gospel/rock/pop band. Before finally choosing a DAW I tested Protools, Reaper, Cubase, Ableton, FL Studio and Reason. Guess which DAW was my favorite :) Reason just blows away all other DAWs with its workflow and contained devices. It's perfect to me, I don't miss any function from differenf DAWs except triggering sequences with midi pads like I could do in Ableton. Even FL Studio will do it soon ;) I tried my best to wire my rack in Reason to do that, but it seems to be impossible. Can anyone tell me how can I do that, or that I can't do that?

nhsh 2012-12-15 00:15

There's no MIDI to sequencer clip or block functionality, so it's kind of tricky. The best suggestions I can think of are:

- Simply use Live to MIDI in to Reason. It's as good as Rewire gets, and the basic Live Lite comes free with most brands of breakfast cereal.

- Or, as I recently suggested somewhere, try the (cruder but amazing) seq24 MIDI sequencer as you're on Windows. Depending on how you hook it in to Reason, you can always record the resultant jams into the Reason sequencer.

- Use pattern devices like Redrum and Matrix wherever possible for dynamic pattern switching. You can always arrange these together onscreen for a nice pattern-switching mission control center.

- Convert all the patterns to Rex loops and switch between them in Dr Octo Rex devices.

- But really my favourite approach is to play to Reason's strengths, and instead of pattern switching, switch up the mixer instead. It may mean some duplication of sound generating devices, but the mixer is such a creative tool in its own right, and with a nice controller you can be flipping tracks and switching in effects left, right and center like Mad Professor. (I mean the 14:2 mixer, but presumably that absurdly huge SSL thing can be MIDI automated too.)

hth!

TomDep 2012-12-15 01:25

Thanks a lot mate! But how can I control Mixer with my midi devices? I realy have no idea :)

I have never been such a noob before, funny feeling :)

nhsh 2012-12-15 13:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomDep (Post 1198720)
Thanks a lot mate! But how can I control Mixer with my midi devices? I realy have no idea :)

Depends on your MIDI kit. If say, you had something like a Korg nanokontrol, Reason will automap it to the mixer. The list of Remote-compatible (auto-mapped) devices is shown in the Control Surfaces list in preferences. Some of the device maps are really clever. Select the mixer device in the sequencer track list, and wibble those faders :)

For unsupported devices, it's a bit more tedious to set up. You'll need to create your own MIDI map so the knobs/faders send out the right codes to Reason. To help, there should be a MIDI Implementation Chart in your Reason -> Documentation folder.

If you want to keep things simple for starters, try controlling the mixer with a regular MIDI keyboard. The last page of the MIDI Implementation chart shows which MIDI keys (not faders or whatever) can mute and solo different mixer channels. That's something you can try with any MIDI keyboard.

TomDep 2012-12-15 15:24

That's neat, good for a start :)
Ok, I have a Korg padKONTROL. Can I use it with Gate Out in separate Kongs pads to remotely press "Run" in several Matrixes or Thors Sequencer?

electrofux 2012-12-15 15:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomDep (Post 1199005)
That's neat, good for a start :)
Ok, I have a Korg padKONTROL. Can I use it with Gate Out in separate Kongs pads to remotely press "Run" in several Matrixes or Thors Sequencer?

Just right click on the Matrix run button, select remote override, hit a pad and press ok.
Now that pad starts the matrix.

VillaNDubstep 2012-12-15 16:04

Nektar released a video not too long ago for it's update on the panorama p4 and it allows block triggering, the video shows the guy having a bit of a jam with the blocks
https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...v=SledL0rVDck#!

TomDep 2012-12-18 17:13

Electrofux and Villa, I'm not gay but I love you :) Thank you guys so much, that's what I was looking for.