Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   General Forum (read only) (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Some quality strings please props! (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=172956)

PsyTale 2012-12-18 18:37

Some quality strings please props!

Dear propellerheads!

I am a dear user of most of your products and i love them. But i have a wish, the wish is to get some proper strings in Reason.

Could you please make some RE that can do something like this?

SIMPLY BECAUSE ITS AMAZING TO HAVE PROPER STRINGS! :)

jaeppel 2012-12-18 19:39

Radical strings: Three mics, four instruments (violin viola cello bass), and a bow/piz knob, same basic setup as the other radicals....

yeah that would be cool. anuther hundred bucks to sweden there.

adfielding 2012-12-18 19:55

I posted this a while back on Facebook after mentioning something similar here. It's in response to the idea of "Radical Guitar".

Quote:

I mentioned this on the Propellerhead forum, but the problem with plucked/bowed string instruments is that there are so many factors involved in the performance that would make such an instrument incredibly hard to emulate in software. I have yet to hear any sort of physically modelled/sampled solo violin instrument that sounds absolutely truly convincing. Sampled guitars have come close for certain styles, but there's a reason that orchestral sample banks are so expensive and so large - there are so many variables involved, which means a lot of audio. Conversely, with a piano-type instrument there are (as far as I can tell) far fewer: the main factors would be, namely, which key you're pressing and how hard you're pressing it. Still, if anyone were to pull off a convincing bowed/plucked/strummed string hybrid-PM/sampled instrument, I would be all over that. The only PM instrument that I'm aware of that comes even close is Synful, and that's pretty old and far from being totally convincing.
It may have been a response to "Radical Guitar", but the sentiment holds.

Expecting a convincing string-based RE for a hundred bucks is pretty crazy, IMO. Although my explanation of recreating a piano-based instrument is massively over-simplified, creating a convincing string instrument in software without a huge sample library to back it up is... well, I'm not going to say it's impossible, but I'm going to say that if it did turn up as a RE, I'd be very very very surprised.

JensenTNI 2012-12-18 20:36

I never understood why they removed the Reason Strings Refill from the shop so rather quickly. I now have to look to buy them from somewhere else...

dreampolice 2012-12-18 20:44

Because Reason strings refill sucks compared to Miroslav.

You can build fantastic strings in Reason, but also pay a real violin player to play a part or two over the top to make it extra real.

Shameless plug, this track is pretty much all Reason factory and Miroslav.

Loading SoundCloud…

PsyTale 2012-12-18 20:49

Clearly i havent been clear enough, I am talking mostly about the technique behind it, it would be great to be able to do that in reason. Coming to think of it it might actually be possible with miroslav and some combinator system. Hmm anyway it would be really cool if there were some string re for reason that would make life of stringusers easier. And yes i love my miroslav refills, i recenly even bought the ultra pack and thatone contains some awesome stuff too. I love the bells in it! :)

JensenTNI 2012-12-18 20:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by dreampolice (Post 1201190)
Because Reason strings refill sucks compared to Miroslav.

You can build fantastic strings in Reason, but also pay a real violin player to play a part or two over the top to make it extra real.

Shameless plug, this track is pretty much all Reason factory and Miroslav.

Loading SoundCloud…

Very nice score! Is that you? I like :) Actually the track in my signature is Ochester Sound Bank exclusively as well, except for the Pianos :)

pushedbutton 2012-12-18 20:51

Perhaps in a way a more feasible approach would be to have some kind of string based hybrid controller that would allow the user to simply bow or pluck some life into a rack device that was suited to it. I think part of the problem with getting realistic strings is the amount of variables that are so complex that they are hard to identify and would definitely take a lot of patience to recreate.
On the other hard, strings aren't that easy to play anyhow... would the average reason user want to learn how to play the violin or cello just so that they can get something sounding a little more authentic? Would midi be a good enough format to convey all the little nuances that a string generates?

PsyTale 2012-12-18 20:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaeppel (Post 1201143)
Radical strings: Three mics, four instruments (violin viola cello bass), and a bow/piz knob, same basic setup as the other radicals....

yeah that would be cool. anuther hundred bucks to sweden there.

Exactly, but with some extra super cool rhythm thingies in there :)

dreampolice 2012-12-18 21:22

Yes that is me :)

and dont get me wrong, I REALLY want better strings and an easier way to get them sounding great. But, with a bit of work it can sound great.