Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   General Forum (read only) (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Help: Using MPK49 + Alesis IO2 Express with Reason (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=173015)

fragmafg 2012-12-19 17:34

Help: Using MPK49 + Alesis IO2 Express with Reason

Hello, I'm fairly new to production and recording, I've been using Reason for about over a year now and I recently bought an Akai MPK49 which connects to the computer VIA USB. It also has MIDI I/O on the back - I began looking for an audio interface to suit my needs but unfortunately I've bought the Alesis IO2 Express without having much knowledge on how to connect it to my MIDI keyboard.
Help is greatly appreciated, here is what I've connected so far, and no response from the interface or Reason when keys are played -

- a MIDI cable from MIDI OUT to the MIDI IN of the audio interface
- a USB from the MPK to my computer
- a USB from the Alesis to my computer

Am I connecting something wrong? Do I have to edit the Preferences?

Thanks for your time!

Dave909 2012-12-19 17:56

You don't need to connect the keyboard to the interface as it's already connected thru USB to your computer. You do need to install the drivers of your keyboard before hooking it up. The Alesis doesn't have any drivers of it's own so you're best off downloading ASIO4ALL for it. Then everything should work perfectly :)

fragmafg 2012-12-19 20:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave909 (Post 1201848)
You don't need to connect the keyboard to the interface as it's already connected thru USB to your computer. You do need to install the drivers of your keyboard before hooking it up. The Alesis doesn't have any drivers of it's own so you're best off downloading ASIO4ALL for it. Then everything should work perfectly :)

thank you for your response - I did what you said, and I manage to get sound but I can't really tell the difference and the knobs on the IO2 don't do anything (Gain and Main Level)

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i1...ps06512501.png

Dave909 2012-12-19 20:39

I own an IO2 but i don't recognise the Altovoces thing. Why does it say that?
The only thing on the interface which should do something without anything connected to the IO2 should be the main level as the gain controls the preamps and thus raises it's level.

My first thought is to install ASIO4ALL and choose that as your driver in Reason. It should find your interface and after selecting it in the ASIO4ALL dialog it should put the Reason sound out

fragmafg 2012-12-19 21:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave909 (Post 1201992)
I own an IO2 but i don't recognise the Altovoces thing. Why does it say that?
The only thing on the interface which should do something without anything connected to the IO2 should be the main level as the gain controls the preamps and thus raises it's level.

My first thought is to install ASIO4ALL and choose that as your driver in Reason. It should find your interface and after selecting it in the ASIO4ALL dialog it should put the Reason sound out

It's in Spanish, it means 'Speakers'; I've tried reinstalling the drivers also;
the funny thing is though, when I choose ASIO4ALL in Reason theres no sound - and the main level doesn't do anything, even if it's turned all the way up or down :|

Dave909 2012-12-19 21:41

I thought it said speakers, wasn't sure :D You need to open the ASIO4ALL dialog (on the bottom right of the screen in the windows bar) and choose the IO2 there as a source too. Only then will ASIO4ALL control it. Lemme know what happens when you do that :)

fragmafg 2012-12-19 22:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave909 (Post 1202049)
I thought it said speakers, wasn't sure :D You need to open the ASIO4ALL dialog (on the bottom right of the screen in the windows bar) and choose the IO2 there as a source too. Only then will ASIO4ALL control it. Lemme know what happens when you do that :)

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i1...psde605b7a.png

Nada ):
When I use IO2 in both the dialog and the driver in Reason, I get sound out of my speakers but like I said, the controls on the audio interface don't do anything..
I wonder what I'm doing wrong :\

Dave909 2012-12-19 22:04

If that's the case you might have a faulty unit man. If it's putting thru sound to the main, the main level control should work as it drives the speakers. You have speakers connected right? The headphones get controlled by a seperate rotary.

fragmafg 2012-12-19 22:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave909 (Post 1202058)
If that's the case you might have a faulty unit man. If it's putting thru sound to the main, the main level control should work as it drives the speakers. You have speakers connected right? The headphones get controlled by a seperate rotary.

I forgot to mention my speakers are connected with USB also - Damn, I guess I'm out of luck then cause I ordered online from Amazon :|

Dave909 2012-12-19 22:16

Ahh yeahh you can't control USB speakers thru another interface as they are basically their own interface. If you are serious about audio i would suggest selling them and getting some active studio monitors. No need to spend hundreds as there's some types going pretty cheap. As you are still getting into audio i wouldn't worry about the best quality yet :D