Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   General Forum (read only) (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Any tips for mixing with loudness in mind. (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=173045)

djfm1983 2012-12-20 02:56

Any tips for mixing with loudness in mind.
 
I learned on a video I bought on audioschoolonline.com how important it is to A/B while compairing compressed and dry signals at the same peak db to see how it effects the VU. From whenever I A/B comp setting I noticed that I really only gain more loudness (more VU db) from faster attack/release times. I've been able to achieve sometimes 2-3 VU db more (and both signals A/B hitting the same peak db) at time using faster settings.
Any one have any other mixing techniques to achieve more loudness out of signals then compression (if there are any beside compression). Please keep in mind I'm not talking about mastering here I'm talking about mixing techniques, so please don't post anything about mastering chains.

jlgrimes 2012-12-20 05:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by djphathead (Post 1202233)
I learned on a video I bought on audioschoolonline.com how important it is to A/B while compairing compressed and dry signals at the same peak db to see how it effects the VU. From whenever I A/B comp setting I noticed that I really only gain more loudness (more VU db) from faster attack/release times. I've been able to achieve sometimes 2-3 VU db more (and both signals A/B hitting the same peak db) at time using faster settings.
Any one have any other mixing techniques to achieve more loudness out of signals then compression (if there are any beside compression). Please keep in mind I'm not talking about mastering here I'm talking about mixing techniques, so please don't post anything about mastering chains.

High pass filtering tends to make stuff cut through more.

Also freq distribution of arrangement. Many arrangements will sound quiet because they don't fill up the spectrum.

djfm1983 2012-12-20 05:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlgrimes (Post 1202288)
High pass filtering tends to make stuff cut through more.

Also freq distribution of arrangement. Many arrangements will sound quiet because they don't fill up the spectrum.

What does that have to do with mixing for loudness? I'm taking about taking one sound sources VU db reading and increasing it while keeping the peak db the same.

Lunesis 2012-12-20 05:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by djphathead (Post 1202290)
What does that have to do with mixing for loudness? I'm taking about taking one sound sources VU db reading and increasing it while keeping the peak db the same.

A compressor? ;) Well, maybe you could boost the high end between 2khz and 6khz and lower the bass frequencies to compensate for the increased gain.

djfm1983 2012-12-20 06:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lunesis (Post 1202301)
A compressor? ;) Well, maybe you could boost the high end between 2khz and 6khz and lower the bass frequencies to compensate for the increased gain.

Compression as far as I understand is the only way to gain more perceived loudness. I usually use fast attack/release settings to achieve this just wondering if any one had any other ways they use compression to gain more perceived loudness.

jlgrimes 2012-12-20 12:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by djphathead (Post 1202290)
What does that have to do with mixing for loudness? I'm taking about taking one sound sources VU db reading and increasing it while keeping the peak db the same.

Most people ears are not linear devices. Our ears are tuned for speech so a lot of high mid frequencies can sound louder than tracks without it.

Also subsonic Frequecies often clash with bass frqs. Also many speakers can reproduce these properly but these frqs still use up headroom, so by taking these out you can get a louder more cutting mix.


But sure compression is the standard way to make something louder (distortion could be another), but I wouldn't leave out other effects. It is often a combination of many things that makes a professional mix sound louder, punchy, and more cutting than an amateur mix.

dudelab21 2012-12-20 13:13

Compression is one... Layering is another thing... Also, parallel processing.

Spectrephonic 2012-12-20 13:51

400 hz is the loudness frequency, sometimes boosts in that area can give you a lot more perceived loudness. For example, guitars or lead synths.

cheokeh 2012-12-20 13:57

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K-system

cheokeh 2012-12-20 13:58

http://www.meterplugs.com/kmeter


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 03:04.