Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   General Forum (read only) (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Studio monitors used with mixed inputs possible? (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=173230)

alternating.bit 2012-12-23 03:39

Studio monitors used with mixed inputs possible?

I'm a noob as far as monitors go as I've always mastered with headphones (yes, I know that's bad).

Anyway, I just received my brand new pair of KRK Rockit 5's today, and since I have an external sound card for my music due to mic input (Focusrite Scarlett 2i2) used strictly for Reason and music recording/producing, I'm wondering if I can SHARE my KRK speakers with the Scarlett's XLR inputs, and say my computer PC RCA's into the speakers for when I switch over to regular computer use (music listening, gaming, web surfing etc.) or could there be some dangerous polarity mixup or something that could damage the speakers? Mind you I wouldn't be using playing content from both Reason and the computer at the same time, although it's possible a Windows alert sound or something might pop up during production.

So I'll re-ask my question simpler:

Is it ok to hook up TWO different sources into my Rockit 5's, one via XLR, and one RCA or 1/4" and use the speakers for both sources?

Thanks

scifunk 2012-12-23 08:11

Why not run ALL your PC sounds through the external soundcard and have no issues?

n0ahg 2012-12-23 11:20

Or connect the line out of your onboard sound to a line in on your external audio interface.

alternating.bit 2012-12-23 13:35

Those are good ideas, but my Scarlett uses USB and I'm low on USB ports and only plug it in when I'm working on music.

And this still doesn't answer my question about the speakers! lol

n0ahg 2012-12-23 13:41

I don't think they will be designed to have both inputs driven at the same time hence my recommendation above

alternating.bit 2012-12-23 13:54

Ok, man, thanks. Strange how I never thought of that combo - but its a really good idea. I'll give it a shot.

normen 2012-12-23 15:01

Yeh, you can split an output to multiple inputs "just like that" (with a bit of level loss) but never combine two audio outputs to one input just like that, there always needs to be *at least* resistors to not have the devices feed each other with voltages on the output: http://sound.westhost.com/articles/audio-mixing.htm Theres nice desktop switches and knobs for switching between monitors and sources now like the Mackie Big Knob etc. in all sorts of price ranges.

alternating.bit 2012-12-23 15:32

I tried the suggested method of running my PC out to the Focusrite in, and it caused some sort of ghosting effect... I could only listen to it in "Direct Monitor" mode on the Scarlett which sounded weird. I'm not sure if this will be possible since it will in essence be looping PC sound card OUT to another PC sound card IN (via USB).

normen 2012-12-23 15:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by alternating.bit (Post 1205070)
I tried the suggested method of running my PC out to the Focusrite in, and it caused some sort of ghosting effect... I could only listen to it in "Direct Monitor" mode on the Scarlett which sounded weird. I'm not sure if this will be possible since it will in essence be looping PC sound card OUT to another PC sound card IN (via USB).

That should work, just care that you don't have direct monitoring and software monitoring in Reason (or other software) on at the same time, else you hear the signal twice with a short delay.

alternating.bit 2012-12-23 15:49

Here's the deal; there is no "software" to set... forget about Reason for a moment and see how I'm trying to play audio from my PC, be it iTunes, or anything. The Scarlett SEES a signal (the lights are pulsing), but I hear no sound coming out of the Scarlett unless I switch it to "Direct Monitor" which sounds weird and is very low. I've tried both headphones and the monitor volume out (to speakers) and hear nothing.

UGHHHHH- so frustrating.

In the SOUND mixer in windows I can see "Line In - 2-Scarlett USB - working" and the level meter bouncing up and down, the "Stereo Mix - Realtek High Definition Audio" onboard soundcard which is putting OUT the sound also has the meters bouncing, but I hear nothing.

My guess is you can't use two sound cards at once?...