Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   General Forum (read only) (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Harrison Mixbus Special (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=173468)

dbragz 2012-12-27 21:18

Harrison Mixbus Special

In case anyone is interested, they are offering the harrison mix bus for only $40 until january 2. It's a great bargain, I just picked it and I must say it sounds pretty damn good. I'm really liking the busses (something hopefully reason will get in the next update.

http://www.harrisonconsoles.com/mixb...ite/index.html

Hrmonik 2012-12-28 06:51

thanks for the info

SNB1 2012-12-28 07:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by dbragz (Post 1207169)
In case anyone is interested, they are offering the harrison mix bus for only $40 until january 2. It's a great bargain, I just picked it and I must say it sounds pretty damn good. I'm really liking the busses (something hopefully reason will get in the next update.

http://www.harrisonconsoles.com/mixb...ite/index.html

Nan, reason all day. Except for the problem I had we trying to buy rack extensions.

dbragz 2012-12-28 16:47

I just wanted to report back, I've played with the software all day yesterday. For strictly mixing, it is fantastic. Mixes seem to sound clearer, more 3d sounding. Their stock eq and compressors sound better for than Reason's mixer, at least to my ears. I do not know technically what is going on, but I'm really enjoying mixing on it, I can get a fuller, nicer sounding mix using only the stock eq and compressors without having to load a ton of plugins. They are definitely doing something right with their summing engine. For composing, Reason is still number 1 for me, but for mixing I would suggest you try it for yourself. I couln't believe how good mixbus sounds (for me, better than protools, cubase or reason)

smeenz 2012-12-29 00:48

$40!?! What the heck, its normally $220.

papercrane 2012-12-29 01:04

I grabbed it.

I do most of my composing in Reason, Ableton and Renoise. however this looks like a great environment strictly for mixing.

smeenz 2012-12-29 01:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by papercrane (Post 1208094)
I grabbed it.

I do most of my composing in Reason, Ableton and Renoise. however this looks like a great environment strictly for mixing.

I'd be keen to hear your thoughts on it. I might buy it just to play with, but Im wondering if its worth the time and effort to bounce down stems to import in just to mix.

dbragz 2012-12-29 03:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by smeenz (Post 1208109)
I'd be keen to hear your thoughts on it. I might buy it just to play with, but Im wondering if its worth the time and effort to bounce down stems to import in just to mix.

It is so well worth it, I've been mixing for over 20 years (from pro tools tdm, to cubase, logic and now reason). Harrison mix bus sounds incredible if you use the stock eqs, compressors and tape saturation on the busses. Even through headphones, a simple quick mix I did sounded bigger, clearer and more defined (more 3d sounding). This is the closest I've come to an analog sounding mix while mixing entirely in the box. I spent an entire day learning it. It might take a bit of getting used to, but once you do, it's fantastic. For 40 bucks, you can't go wrong. Like I mentioned before, it runs fairly smooth on mac (not sure how it holds up on pc, but it even runs on linux too)

smeenz 2012-12-29 04:54

Okay - I took the plunge too - and yes, it sounds brilliant. For $40, this is defiantly a no-brainer as they put it.

Pros (so far after about 4 hours using it): The sound (duh). Its defiantly coloring everything, but not in a bad way. It sounds so much like my beloved old analog Triton console I nearly fell of my chair. Its also really easy to patch out to my digital console, so you can mix with a real desk, and use all the goodies of the software - very cool.

Cons: Very CPU hungry. Running 28 tracks with nothing on chewed up about 20% (i7 920 with 12gig RAM). With a full mix, comps and EQ all over the place and a single reverb VST - about 40%.

At first I was not into the whole bounce down tracks from my DAWs (Reason and Reaper), but Ive done a couple of test mixes now and Im getting my head around it. I think you need to change your mindset to see the Mixbus as the 'mixer' and use Reason as a creation tool. Don't do any processing, EQ or anything unnecessary - just make your song, then export the tracks into Mixbus. I kinda like that workflow, means you don't piss around with FX or mixing while you're creating music.

Anyways, just my 5 cents worth - still discovering more, but need to take a break for a few hours lol.

dbragz 2012-12-29 06:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by smeenz (Post 1208189)
Okay - I took the plunge too - and yes, it sounds brilliant. For $40, this is defiantly a no-brainer as they put it.

Pros (so far after about 4 hours using it): The sound (duh). Its defiantly coloring everything, but not in a bad way. It sounds so much like my beloved old analog Triton console I nearly fell of my chair. Its also really easy to patch out to my digital console, so you can mix with a real desk, and use all the goodies of the software - very cool.

Cons: Very CPU hungry. Running 28 tracks with nothing on chewed up about 20% (i7 920 with 12gig RAM). With a full mix, comps and EQ all over the place and a single reverb VST - about 40%.

At first I was not into the whole bounce down tracks from my DAWs (Reason and Reaper), but Ive done a couple of test mixes now and Im getting my head around it. I think you need to change your mindset to see the Mixbus as the 'mixer' and use Reason as a creation tool. Don't do any processing, EQ or anything unnecessary - just make your song, then export the tracks into Mixbus. I kinda like that workflow, means you don't piss around with FX or mixing while you're creating music.

Anyways, just my 5 cents worth - still discovering more, but need to take a break for a few hours lol.

I'm glad you liked it. I too was shocked when I heard it initially. I must say I haven't been this excited about mixing in years. I've always pondered wether or not I should go back to an analog console, but I don't think I need to based on what I'm hearing. I'm just hoping that it can perform well with a larger number of tracks.