Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   Feature Suggestion Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Propellerhead Scripting Language (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=173516)

calokid 2012-12-28 14:15

Propellerhead Scripting Language

Offer an environment in which users can write or load scripts that automate, modify or deepen their processes. Maybe a visual language can help. It might be useful for creating patterns or unified automation...or even creating new sounds!

charlycharlzz 2012-12-29 00:48

I dont get it , can you expand ?

jkheal 2012-12-29 01:04

If I may ... a language that describes and steps through what happens already in the background when "recording" automation. Plus, expose more of Reason to automation, such as Blocks, so you could program Blocks to kick off in a particular sequence or at particular times.

Right now, automation is akin to recording a Macro in Microsoft Word, whereas the scripting language would be akin to Visual Basic for Applications, which allows much more flexibility than simply recording Macros.

selig 2012-12-29 01:18

A better example, and a suggestion that has been made before, is a scripting language like Kontakt has, although this may not be what the OP is suggesting.

I have suggested that such a scripting language be a part of a new Combinator, allowing all sorts of interesting note based scripting such as key switching, poly arpeggiators, intelligent/scale-based live transpose (aka "forcing all notes to a scale no matter which notes are played"), intelligent harmonization (also live), etc. :-)

charlycharlzz 2012-12-29 01:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkheal (Post 1208093)
If I may ... a language that describes and steps through what happens already in the background when "recording" automation. Plus, expose more of Reason to automation, such as Blocks, so you could program Blocks to kick off in a particular sequence or at particular times.

Right now, automation is akin to recording a Macro in Microsoft Word, whereas the scripting language would be akin to Visual Basic for Applications, which allows much more flexibility than simply recording Macros.

Quote:

Originally Posted by selig (Post 1208104)
A better example, and a suggestion that has been made before, is a scripting language like Kontakt has, although this may not be what the OP is suggesting.

I have suggested that such a scripting language be a part of a new Combinator, allowing all sorts of interesting note based scripting such as key switching, poly arpeggiators, intelligent/scale-based live transpose (aka "forcing all notes to a scale no matter which notes are played"), intelligent harmonization (also live), etc. :-)

Cheers guys :) that would be a cool thing indeed and that would make Reason a bit more komplet .... that was a bad joke I know haha :D

VillaNDubstep 2012-12-29 10:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by calokid (Post 1207617)
Offer an environment in which users can write or load scripts that automate, modify or deepen their processes. Maybe a visual language can help. It might be useful for creating patterns or unified automation...or even creating new sounds!

Or just offer the ability to record and assign macros, something I've wanted in reason for a while

selig 2012-12-29 17:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by VillaNDubstep (Post 1208246)
Or just offer the ability to record and assign macros, something I've wanted in reason for a while

Pardon my lack of creative vision this early in the morning, but what sorts of things would you do if you had this capability? :-)

VillaNDubstep 2012-12-29 17:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by selig (Post 1208422)
Pardon my lack of creative vision this early in the morning, but what sorts of things would you do if you had this capability? :-)

Ok, not so much on the creative side but more for workflow but for me being able to record a task and have it permanently assigned somewhere (keyboard shortcut/hardware controller/remote override section) would expand the remote override section and I could tailor my mappings more to how I think it should be. Everyone has different ways of doing things so I think this would tailor to peoples unique needs a bit more as well.
I think my post may have strayed a bit from the OP but at the same time they would work well together because it's just adding the extra option of recording as well as writing these processes (more user friendly)

I just know that if I could map things exactly how i want/need them then my workflow would be so smooth :)
Oh and I always remembered macros being quick and easy to do and they helped me in the past when doing websites at school etc...

selig 2012-12-29 20:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by VillaNDubstep (Post 1208434)
Ok, not so much on the creative side but more for workflow but for me being able to record a task and have it permanently assigned somewhere (keyboard shortcut/hardware controller/remote override section) would expand the remote override section and I could tailor my mappings more to how I think it should be. Everyone has different ways of doing things so I think this would tailor to peoples unique needs a bit more as well.
I think my post may have strayed a bit from the OP but at the same time they would work well together because it's just adding the extra option of recording as well as writing these processes (more user friendly)

I just know that if I could map things exactly how i want/need them then my workflow would be so smooth :)
Oh and I always remembered macros being quick and easy to do and they helped me in the past when doing websites at school etc...

Sorry I wasn't more clear, I understand the concept of automating things, I'm just struggling to find an application for the way I like to work. Could you describe a few typical specific examples of how you would apply this concept to your workflow? :-)

VillaNDubstep 2012-12-29 21:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by selig (Post 1208503)
Sorry I wasn't more clear, I understand the concept of automating things, I'm just struggling to find an application for the way I like to work. Could you describe a few typical specific examples of how you would apply this concept to your workflow? :-)

Ah got you ;)
Well personally I'd like to be able to assign F5,F6 & F7 to the three buttons above the screen on my maschine mikro but because it's not in the remote override edit mode, I can't. Atleast if I was able to record these as macros in the remote override section I could and then be able to assign them to the mikro.
I could also assign the 'scene' button to a macro that would switch to blocks view and bring up the drop down menu in one go and then I can just scroll through and hit enter.
Or say you've got an old spare controller not doing much, record macros for all your favourite reason devices so all you have to do to load up PX7 is tap a pad.

The suggestions might seem lazy but I'm always that bit closer to my controllers and don't really use keyboard shortcuts. I think I'd assign all my Akai LPD8 pads to my 8 favourite reason devices :D

I'd love some way of being able to customise my workflow more to my needs, doesn't have to be macros but was just a thought.