Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   Music Forum (read only) (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Bludd Munny (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=173575)

jfrichards 2012-12-29 07:48

Bludd Munny

Hiphop collaboration between me and Dave909 (with Joust on sax). It is the beat track from Dave's song, "Money", with me doing the upright bass, vocals, guitar, Rhodes, and synths. It's a modern chain-gang song, coming straight from the heart of the working class.

Loading SoundCloud…

prizebeatz1 2012-12-29 16:01

Sounds like some funk gumbo. Y'all are breaking new ground on this.

alternating.bit 2012-12-29 16:04

The lead vocal reminds me of Tricky.

Dave909 2012-12-29 16:15

Really cool what you did on that beat John! Really raw and upfront sound. I like it! :D

rVOLT 2012-12-29 16:45

The music sounds aight but the vocals are about as solid as 3 out of tune cats

jfrichards 2012-12-29 20:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by rvolt (Post 1208394)
The music sounds aight but the vocals are about as solid as 3 out of tune cats

I was really hoping to get some serious singers to do the chorus, but like me, they all work full time in the hospital and it's hard to get such things together, especially with family and work responsibilities around the holidays. If you can sing, or know some good singers who could add a couple of tracks, I would appreciate it. Anybody can download the song, record a separate wav or aiff along with it, and I can mix it in. Here are the chorus lyrics:

That money is my blood,
That blood is my work,
That work is my soul,
That soul is my music.

A solid chorus would definitely raise the whole song. Probably with loud offbeat handclaps (and maybe sledgehammers) too. The song is rooted in chain-gang rhythm.

jfrichards 2012-12-29 21:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by prizebeatz1 (Post 1208364)
Sounds like some funk gumbo. Y'all are breaking new ground on this.

Thanks John, we're trying.

Lunesis 2012-12-29 22:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfrichards (Post 1208532)
I was really hoping to get some serious singers to do the chorus, but like me, they all work full time in the hospital and it's hard to get such things together, especially with family and work responsibilities around the holidays. If you can sing, or know some good singers who could add a couple of tracks, I would appreciate it. Anybody can download the song, record a separate wav or aiff along with it, and I can mix it in. Here are the chorus lyrics:

That money is my blood,
That blood is my work,
That work is my soul,
That soul is my music.

A solid chorus would definitely raise the whole song. Probably with loud offbeat handclaps (and maybe sledgehammers) too. The song is rooted in chain-gang rhythm.

I wouldn't take that guy too seriously John, he's just a troll.

rVOLT 2012-12-29 23:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lunesis (Post 1208615)
I wouldn't take that guy too seriously John, he's just a troll.

=] Such a nice guy... He asked for feedback on his song, and I gave it. I'm sure you notice all the help I try to provide anytime I can, even to people who I am kind enough to be honest with, unlike some people who actually are trolls, and like everything so people will notice and like their own work in return. Can't go wrong always being a nice guy can u =)

jfrichards 2012-12-30 00:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by rvolt (Post 1208627)
I'm sure you notice all the help I try to provide anytime I can, even to people who I am kind enough to be honest with, unlike some people who actually are trolls

Brent was pointing out something I have also noticed, and that is that there is a line between helpful criticism and gleeful condescension, and that, sometimes, you cross that line. I was taking your comment about the out-of-tune cats as the former, although I think you probably don't get where the song is coming from and where it is attempting to go, and therefore could easily come across as the latter. This song is fairly complex and is trying to go into uncharted territory, and the out-of-tune cats part in the chorus is not really unintentional. The dissonance of the fretless bass with the bending guitar notes and the distorted neptune harmonies is a rough draft of where I would like the chorus to be. The song is about an ugly reality, where all the hard work of everybody is stolen by the few at the top. I am not planning on a beautifully harmonic chorus. I want it to be angry and painful, more like chanting. I know it didn't get there yet, but I'm working on it. Brent is encouraging me to keep going on that path.