Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   General Forum (read only) (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   audio interfaces (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=173629)

jinky67 2012-12-30 13:09

audio interfaces

can anyone help me ? im new to sound engineering, and i was going to buy reason essentials, can i use any audio interface to record guitars into it ? any help would be much appreciated thanks

3rdFloorSound 2012-12-30 17:19

Sure, the only interfaces I've heard of that can't be used are those that the manufacturer has abandoned while your OS has moved on. Anything you buy new, though, should be just fine.

jinky67 2012-12-30 19:35

thanks for your help

SteveDiverse 2012-12-30 19:58

Two other things to watch out for:

If you use Windows, and especially if you have a laptop, and are considering a firewire interface, make sure to research compatibility - there are a lot of known compatibility issues with firewire interfaces on windows.

Also, if you have a newer computer with only USB3 ports, you'll also want to check compatibility if you are looking at a USB2 audio interface - there are also known issues of some USB2 audio interfaces not working in USB3 ports (they require a native USB2 port).

SteveDiverse 2012-12-30 20:09

Not sure what your budget is, but a few options at the lower price point:

Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 ~$150 (PC, MAC)

Focusrite iTrack Solo ~$160 (PC, MAC, iOS)

m-audio Fast Track ~$100 (PC, MAC)

I have an older m-audio MobilePre and am very happy with it - no issues. But there have been a lot of complaints about poor customer service and slow to release drivers for new OS. that said, that was when they were owned by Avid, and they've recently been sold, so the verdict is out on how that will affect support.

Focusrite gets solid thumbs up from what I see. It's also the number one seller at a major music store (physical and online) where a friend of mine works, and is what he recommends.

EnochLight 2012-12-30 20:22

And of course, there's always Balance - which is an awesome audio interface perfectly suited for Reason and works fine on both USB 2.0 and 3.0 with the latest drivers. As Essentials comes free with Balance, it's a great package.

markhyo 2012-12-31 04:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by EnochLight (Post 1209261)
And of course, there's always Balance - which is an awesome audio interface perfectly suited for Reason and works fine on both USB 2.0 and 3.0 with the latest drivers. As Essentials comes free with Balance, it's a great package.

+1 on getting Balance and Reason Essentials. I already had Reason 6.5 but I just upgraded my audio interface to Balance. I had a Scarlett 2i2 and while it is a great audio interface, the support and drivers weren't that great. I couldn't get latency as low as I had hoped and the driver needed some work in my opinion. It wouldn't work on an USB 3.0 port and caused my computer to get a BSOD everytime I plugged into that port.

Balanced worked out of the box with no issues, I have low latency and it works on my USB 3.0 port. I love all the inputs connections and clip safe is genius! You may pay a little more upfront but it will save you from have to upgrade your audio interface later on down the road.