Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   Feature Suggestion Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   VASTLY improved mixer/rack integration (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=173696)

batcountry69 2012-12-31 14:50

VASTLY improved mixer/rack integration

Hi,
recently upgraded from 4 to the latest version. Had my first play with it last night and I love the new toys, audio integration and ssl channel strips.

I can't put my finger on why exactly, perhaps it's the addition of the channel strip module for each, synth, audio track or combinator... but the rack view gets real messy real quick. I'm someone who uses A LOT of cv routing and separate units to build a single patch so scrolling a massive vertical rack containing all of my synths and effects always had the potential to get confusing, the more complicated a set up became.

Anyhow, even if others aren't finding the same, I still think the following integration would be far more intuitive..

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b2...ps93d4bde6.jpg

Basically I'm suggesting a tab that expands racks alongside their assigned mixer channel. You could have multiple racks open at once to still be able to cross patch between racks and have a hotkey or tab to close all racks when you just want to focus on the mixer.

Kinda seems like a no-brainer to me and I hope the props and everyone else can see the benefit. :)

rogerlevy 2012-12-31 16:11

That's pretty cool.

jlgrimes 2012-12-31 16:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by batcountry69 (Post 1209744)
Hi,
recently upgraded from 4 to the latest version. Had my first play with it last night and I love the new toys, audio integration and ssl channel strips.

I can't put my finger on why exactly, perhaps it's the addition of the channel strip module for each, synth, audio track or combinator... but the rack view gets real messy real quick. I'm someone who uses A LOT of cv routing and separate units to build a single patch so scrolling a massive vertical rack containing all of my synths and effects always had the potential to get confusing, the more complicated a set up became.

Anyhow, even if others aren't finding the same, I still think the following integration would be far more intuitive..

Basically I'm suggesting a tab that expands racks alongside their assigned mixer channel. You could have multiple racks open at once to still be able to cross patch between racks and have a hotkey or tab to close all racks when you just want to focus on the mixer.

Kinda seems like a no-brainer to me and I hope the props and everyone else can see the benefit. :)

I think something does need to be done about the messiness of the Rack concept but I can never really think of a good solution here.

batcountry69 2012-12-31 17:55

Honestly, the more I use the program as is, the more of a mess it seems. This seems like a necessary update now, not just a pleasant addition to a future release....

No offence intended to the props, I can appreciate how it might have been easy to let the workflow slip when concentrating on other new features.

I'm guessing the props are pretty attentive and switched on but do they ever comment on peoples suggestions?

jlgrimes 2012-12-31 18:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by batcountry69 (Post 1209830)
I'm guessing the props are pretty attentive and switched on but do they ever comment on peoples suggestions?

In Extreme rare cases.

Ive seen the Props comment sometimes on a possible workaround or in cases were a user requested a feature that Reason already have.

Props never leak new features. Only time the do is at a music conference or once they have the ads created.

If you want the Props to chime in, they seem to talk more on the user forum, but that said they wont leak anything and you will probably get scolded by other users for posting a Feature suggestion in the wrong forum.

nhsh 2012-12-31 18:41

Yeah I think something was lost in transition to the Record/R6 layout. Ease of use, immediacy, sense of navigation, umm, sanity.

I think they should have kept the single rack column, put the mixer on the RHS in the same window, throw away channel strips, and when you want to route a device/fx to the rack, just throw the cables to the right hand side.

No panning around anywhere, easy to find where you are vertically (rack) and horizontally (mixer), no forced pseudo-combinator devices, no awkward insert-fx-that-aren't-insert-fx-according-to-the-mixer, no need for multi-monitor setups, and very tidy cabling at the back as interconnected device cables go up and down, mixer routings just go straight to the right. Crikey it's not rocket science. You even get a schematic diagram in the product logo...

pjeudy 2012-12-31 23:12

I never used the other side of the rack...I put everything in one single column rack....

OMOMs 2013-01-01 11:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by batcountry69 (Post 1209744)
Hi,

You mean like with a real SSL and a real Rack?

eXode 2013-01-01 11:20

We are several users that have suggested in the past that you should be able to put the mixer and the rack next to each other vertically (as per your image) instead of horizontally like it is today. I'm all for it. :)

batcountry69 2013-01-01 13:38

Just seems like a must for me.

You could do similar with grouped audio tracks. Nest them within an expandable parent track. Pretty much like track folders in Reaper.

Hopefully the props are listening and it's not too much ballache to implement.