Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   General Forum (read only) (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   few questions related to reason usage (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=173704)

jpBollywood 2012-12-31 18:59

few questions related to reason usage

Hi,

I have a basic question related to reason 6.5 usage.

I am very new to this hence asking...

Till now I use Yamaha - PSR 3000 as my synthesizer. I don't like sounds and styles from that keyboard...I want to go away from it. I am planning to use Reason 6.5 sounds and use my keyboard as MIDI controller...my question is, when I start using my keyboard as MIDI controller, can I still divide my keyboard into left and right sections i.e - today if I play something on my keyboard (without reason), I choose sound for left, right-1 and right-2..Left section is what I use for chords and right-1 and right-2 for melody...so back to the question, if I use my keyboard as MIDI than can I still divide my keyboard into 3 sections, left, right-1 and right-2 or I can not do that...I plan to have reason used when I play live hence I would like to have similar feel and have chord sections and it's sound, melody section and it's sound organized through reason software.

this is going to be my first attempt to use my keyboard as midi controller and use sound from software.

Thanks
JP

3rdFloorSound 2012-12-31 20:01

Sure can, there's a slight learning curve to it but it's definitely possible. I don't know if you've messed with the demo but you can do it using "key zones" in the combinator's programmer section.
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpBollywood (Post 1209848)
Hi,

I have a basic question related to reason 6.5 usage.

I am very new to this hence asking...

Till now I use Yamaha - PSR 3000 as my synthesizer. I don't like sounds and styles from that keyboard...I want to go away from it. I am planning to use Reason 6.5 sounds and use my keyboard as MIDI controller...my question is, when I start using my keyboard as MIDI controller, can I still divide my keyboard into left and right sections i.e - today if I play something on my keyboard (without reason), I choose sound for left, right-1 and right-2..Left section is what I use for chords and right-1 and right-2 for melody...so back to the question, if I use my keyboard as MIDI than can I still divide my keyboard into 3 sections, left, right-1 and right-2 or I can not do that...I plan to have reason used when I play live hence I would like to have similar feel and have chord sections and it's sound, melody section and it's sound organized through reason software.

this is going to be my first attempt to use my keyboard as midi controller and use sound from software.

Thanks
JP

djfm1983 2013-01-01 15:17

If you need help learning how to set this up in the combinator maybe I could teach you live through my ustream channel www.ustream.tv/channel/djfm1983 . This way you could watch me set it up and learn that way.

MayorMcCheese 2013-01-01 15:42

3rdFloor is spot-on as always and I hope you take Mr. head up on his offer. Since you have to go into the Combi Programmer to make the split, I think it would make a good subject for a screen cast and video.

I thought you may get a kick out of this: https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=130421 . Victor48’s entire 2+ year old 132 posts Music Forum thread is all about splitting the keyboard. Problem is, the fine fellow switches between Russian and English and has some of the most hilarious Google translations ever made. Bless his heart, I still haven’t figured out if he got it to work just right or not. But it is easy once you get the hang of using the Programmer.

3rdFloorSound 2013-01-01 16:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by MayorMcCheese (Post 1210261)
I thought you may get a kick out of this: https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=130421 . Victor48’s entire 2+ year old 132 posts Music Forum thread is all about splitting the keyboard. Problem is, the fine fellow switches between Russian and English and has some of the most hilarious Google translations ever made. Bless his heart, I still haven’t figured out if he got it to work just right or not. But it is easy once you get the hang of using the Programmer.

Holy God that thread is incredible! Wonder how I missed it the first time. Where the heck did Victor go, he seems to be exiled to the land of the icon-less.

Edit: Am I seeing some sort of rift between George and him in there?

MayorMcCheese 2013-01-01 16:50

Victor shows up about every 2-3 months like clockwork (was here two days ago). Why, I’m not sure. Back in 2010 he had icon(s) and then went through a name change or something. I like the dude’s enthusiasm and perseverance, but with George being Russian (St. Pete) he probably knows more than we do. I’ve always wanted to ask George who Victor is, but I guess some things are best left unknown.

BTW, if you perused that whole thread then about now I expect you need some aspirin or some guys in white coats.

3rdFloorSound 2013-01-01 17:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by MayorMcCheese (Post 1210289)
Victor shows up about every 2-3 months like clockwork (was here two days ago). Why, I’m not sure. Back in 2010 he had icon(s) and then went through a name change or something. I like the dude’s enthusiasm and perseverance, but with George being Russian (St. Pete) he probably knows more than we do. I’ve always wanted to ask George who Victor is, but I guess some things are best left unknown.

BTW, if you perused that whole thread then about now I expect you need some aspirin or some guys in white coats.

Yeah that's what I thought, remembered him from the General forum in another spectacular thread. He definitely has both of those, in spades. Mm I thought of the same thing, that there was something the rest of us didn't pick up on due to translation that George did see.
Oh I did much more scanning than reading :D no hangover from last night or translation headache this morning, heh

SteveDiverse 2013-01-01 19:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by MayorMcCheese (Post 1210261)

domestic split i am 2 hand. with left sound is not right same. hard press is more. easy thank you.

MayorMcCheese 2013-01-01 20:30

Victor, bless his heart. Back in 2010 he had some .rns files here online and the guy made some darn good music. One track was good enough to be a new Russian National Anthem or something.

3rdFloorSound 2013-01-01 20:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveDiverse (Post 1210373)
domestic split i am 2 hand. with left sound is not right same. hard press is more. easy thank you.

Heh, just wish I knew what "domestic" was supposed to be translated to :D