Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   General Forum (read only) (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   New Balance and Nothing But Problems (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=173726)

ifonline 2013-01-01 00:51

New Balance and Nothing But Problems (No Sound, Blinking Lights)

I have Reason 6.5 installed on my iMac and the serial number for Reason is listed on my Propellerhead account. I connected my brand new Balance (that was delivered today) to my iMac and downloaded my Reason license key to the device. So far, so good.

At least, that's what I thought. However, the first thing I noticed was that the ready lights on the Balance were blinking back and forth. So, even though the license key loaded to the Balance just fine, OS X and Reason weren't recognizing the Balance.

I restarted my iMac and noticed that the Balance wasn't even active at all (no blinking lights, no response to buttons, etc.). I unplugged the USB cable and re-connected the Balance to the iMac, and everything started working. OS X recognized the Balance, and audio was flowing in and out of the device. Reason recognized the device and everything worked.

Again... or so I thought. I then noticed that when I pressed the Meter/Tuner button on the Balance, the meter window in Reason would appear and then immediately disappear. So, I turned off the iMac and rebooted it. At that point, I noticed that the Balance was back to a state where no lights were on and nothing was working. No audio was flowing, and button presses did nothing.

So... I paid $600 for this hardware/Reason combo direct from Propellerhead, wait a week for it to arrive, and this is what I get? Hardware that doesn't work? I convinced my wife that it was a good idea to move away from Logic Pro and into Reason, and she reluctantly agreed. Now, I look like a fool.

So... now I have a non-working device and no one around to help me. I tried calling Line 6, but they don't even recognize Balance (or Propellerhead) as a support option. Now what? What do I do now?

sonicnurse 2013-01-01 01:08

There's this support button on this very page! Try that!

electricfusion 2013-01-01 01:14

Please add the specs of your iMac including OS version.
You can reach PH support via email here https://www.propellerheads.se/support_area/

I don´t have Balance but i noticed that my Ignition Key sometimes doesn´t work on one of my USB ports
thus you might want to try a different USB port.

Via forum search function ( up top - grey bar ) you can check out other threads which might include the solution for your problem.

ifonline 2013-01-01 01:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by electricfusion (Post 1210047)
Please add the specs of your iMac including OS version.

iMac 2.5 i5 with 16 GB RAM and OS X 10.8.2

Quote:

You can reach PH support via email here https://www.propellerheads.se/support_area/
I've done that. Actually, I tried calling Line 6, but they didn't even give the option for Balance/Propellerhead support. Tried to get through anyway and was told they were closed. So, I then sent an e-mail to Propellerhead support. Just waiting for a response which looks like it won't be until Wednesday at the earliest. I only posted here to see if anyone had any interim suggestions.

Quote:

I don´t have Balance but i noticed that my Ignition Key sometimes doesn´t work on one of my USB ports thus you might want to try a different USB port.
Will do.

Quote:

Via forum search function ( up top - grey bar ) you can check out other threads which might include the solution for your problem.
Did that too. Didn't find anything that looked like it would help. Most threads just ended up with "contact support."

Thanks for the help and suggestions. Any idea where the Balance manual is hidden? I can't find that either.

SteveDiverse 2013-01-01 01:43

I don't have MAC or Balance, so I'm not sure how much help I can/will be...

...but try disconnecting balance, rebooting, starting reason, and in edit >> preferences, set the audio to the built in audio - then close reason.

plug in balance, start reason, then select balance as the audio interface.

my audio interface sometimes gives me issues if it is plugged in when I start up my computer - so I always unplug it when done and plug it in after the computer is fully booted up.

OMOMs 2013-01-01 01:44

did you install Essentials? I believe when I first got mine the setup card said I had to install Essentials first, so the correct drivers are installed.
then are you using a USB 3 port?
apparently there are some problems with USB 3 on OSX, so you'd be better off using USB 2.

KingEternal 2013-01-01 01:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by ifonline (Post 1210037)
I have Reason 6.5 installed on my iMac and the serial number for Reason is listed on my Propellerhead account. I connected my brand new Balance (that was delivered today) to my iMac and downloaded my Reason license key to the device. So far, so good.

At least, that's what I thought. However, the first thing I noticed was that the ready lights on the Balance were blinking back and forth. So, even though the license key loaded to the Balance just fine, OS X and Reason weren't recognizing the Balance.

I restarted my iMac and noticed that the Balance wasn't even active at all (no blinking lights, no response to buttons, etc.). I unplugged the USB cable and re-connected the Balance to the iMac, and everything started working. OS X recognized the Balance, and audio was flowing in and out of the device. Reason recognized the device and everything worked.

Again... or so I thought. I then noticed that when I pressed the Meter/Tuner button on the Balance, the meter window in Reason would appear and then immediately disappear. So, I turned off the iMac and rebooted it. At that point, I noticed that the Balance was back to a state where no lights were on and nothing was working. No audio was flowing, and button presses did nothing.

So... I paid $600 for this hardware/Reason combo direct from Propellerhead, wait a week for it to arrive, and this is what I get? Hardware that doesn't work? I convinced my wife that it was a good idea to move away from Logic Pro and into Reason, and she reluctantly agreed. Now, I look like a fool.

So... now I have a non-working device and no one around to help me. I tried calling Line 6, but they don't even recognize Balance (or Propellerhead) as a support option. Now what? What do I do now?

Try another Usb port maybe and make sure you connect to Usb 2 only.

ifonline 2013-01-01 01:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveDiverse (Post 1210060)
...but try disconnecting balance, rebooting, starting reason, and in edit >> preferences, set the audio to the built in audio - then close reason.

plug in balance, start reason, then select balance as the audio interface.

my audio interface sometimes gives me issues if it is plugged in when I start up my computer - so I always unplug it when done and plug it in after the computer is fully booted up.

If I unplug Balance and plug it back in, it works for the current session. Once I turn off the computer and turn it back on, however, Balance is disconnected as an audio device. Interestingly, even when the Balance doesn't show up as an audio device, the Propellerhead website can see it and shows me the license installed on it. Plus, Reason 6.5 starts and it authorized without issue. Of course, no Balance audio in Reason. Very odd.

Quote:

Originally Posted by OMOMs (Post 1210061)
did you install Essentials? I believe when I first got mine the setup card said I had to install Essentials first, so the correct drivers are installed.
then are you using a USB 3 port?
apparently there are some problems with USB 3 on OSX, so you'd be better off using USB 2.

No drivers needed for a Mac. And no, I am using a USB 2 port. No USB 3 ports on the Mac at all.

ifonline 2013-01-01 01:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by KingEternal (Post 1210063)

Will try that now... fingers crossed. And no USB 3 ports on the iMac, so no option but to plug into a USB 2 port. Additionally, I am plugged into the back of the iMac, not into the keyboard and not into a hub.

n0ahg 2013-01-01 01:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by KingEternal (Post 1210063)

Balance is fine with USB 3 under at least newer MacOS X and Windows 8