Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   Feature Suggestion Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Mono Button (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=173763)

suges 2013-01-01 23:12

Mono Button
 
1 Attachment(s)
Could we add a Mono button, probably where I'm showing in the attached pic? It'd be useful for quickly checking mono compatibility. Just a brief thing you only use once in a while, like the Dim button.

MayorMcCheese 2013-01-01 23:20

Combi courtesy of James Bernard: https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showpost.php?p=817972&postcount=14 .

suges 2013-01-01 23:21

Nice! Thank you!

dioxide 2013-01-01 23:34

I second this suggestion, it should be built into the mixer.

selig 2013-01-02 00:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by dioxide (Post 1210504)
I second this suggestion, it should be built into the mixer.

I would add that this, that if this feature IS added it should be on the Control Room output ONLY. No physical mixer has a mono switch on the main outputs, only on the MONITOR outputs. Putting it on the main outputs (or using a Combinator) can result in the potential for accidentally exporting mixes in mono. Putting it on the monitor path (like physical consoles) ensures this can never happen, and that's exactly why this feature is implemented that way.

PLUS, monitoring in mono is best done on a single monitor, so you also need a way to cut one of the two stereo speakers when using mono mode (also common on physical consoles). :-)

BilC 2013-01-02 09:06

Surely you must be thinking of The Spector Effect. How about a button to make everything sound like it comes out of a Ghetto-Blaster? That's The Eno Effect, if you haven't guessed.
Go back to sub-mixing everything through the earlier mixers. You'll eventually get left with one Mixer Channel. Now look closer at what's there. Take off the spread, and, Hey Presto! Mono!
Your wish is already catered for!

omshanti20 2013-01-02 09:15

******************

selig 2013-01-02 19:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by omshanti20 (Post 1210802)
I disagree, the mono button should be on the main mixer (outputs) as that is where it will be used.

You will only use it on the main output if you want to export a mix in mono. A mono button is for LISTENING in mono to check for any issues, not for converting the mix to mono for export. This is why it is put in the monitor path, because that's the place where it will be used (and it prevents any accidental mono exporting).

Compare this to a volume control on your audio card - why not just move the master fader to control the speaker volume? It is for the same reason - it's the MONITOR you want to adjust for level or for checking mono compatibility, not the actual mix.

Quote:

Originally Posted by omshanti20 (Post 1210802)
Props could add an option to override recording if mono is engaged.

Or they could put the mono button in the monitor path where it will not need any extra override function - simpler is usually better.

Quote:

Originally Posted by omshanti20 (Post 1210802)
Couldn't Props develop a routing patch to overcome this?

With a cut button for each speaker there's no need for a patch to overcome anything. Again, simpler is usually better IMO. :-)

omshanti20 2013-01-02 22:07

**********************

OMOMs 2013-01-02 22:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by omshanti20 (Post 1211156)
...or they could put it optionally on the main outs and/or monitor (which most people don't use)...in fact, I'd like the ability to sum to mono anywhere in the signal path...at any bus or stage.

I disagree - simpler is not better in this case as there is still no option to mono on the main outs. That's what people are asking for.

Why do you assume most people don't use that?
I use the control room out all the time :D
I aslo use Dim all the time...


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 10:55.