Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   General Forum (read only) (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Plz help my gf...and her singing. (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=173790)

SnowFall 2013-01-02 11:08

Plz help my gf...and her singing.

Ok, short story... My gf got this "home studio" from me as a gift, but she is still not happy...girls... =) Her only demand is to be able to sing in the mic and (instantly) hear herself in the speakers with a little bit of reverb or what ever you can do with the voice, like karaoke. We both are totally new to Reason. This must be soo easy to configure I said to her, you can do anything with this "studio"... Now, I have been trying to get it to work, dragging virtual cables on the backside of "the rack"...but no luck. And she is getting on my nerves about this.

Im begging you all pros out there, help me!!!

At least point me to the right direction, Im pretty good with computers...but when it comes to music im a total newbie.

jengstrom 2013-01-02 12:00

What audio interface are you using?
Not sure if you use Mac or Windows, so this goes for both.

1. Select audio driver in Reason preferences -- should be the driver for the audio interface where you connect both microphone and speakers + headphones. On Windows it must be a "ASIO" driver.

2. Make sure Reason preferences is set to automatic monitoring mode (the default mode)

3. If the microphone is near the speakers, so that it "hears" the sound from the speakers, then you must turn down the speakers to silent, or you will get a terrible feedback sound at maximum volume.

She must monitor her singing (with reverb, etc) in closed headphones so that there is no feedback from monitoring sound back into microphone. It's troublesome to stop feedback if monitoring through speakers by the microphone, so I suggest you avoid that altogether.

4. Create Audio Track in Reason

5. On the audio track device in the rack, make sure your microphone input is selected

6. Make sure the audio track is selected (which makes it record-enabled) in the sequencer. Due to automatic monitoring mode, this enables monitoring and the green speaker icon in the track list is lit.

7. To add reverb, go to the mixer and make sure it has a send reverb you like. Then enable that send effect on the channel strip for the audio track you created in step 4.

You can also add insert effects by clicking Show Devices on the audio track device in the rack.

If you get a noticeable delay between mic and headphones, you have to turn down the buffer size and/or any other latency settings for your audio interface until it gets comfortable.

SnowFall 2013-01-02 13:27

Thanks, I will try this when I get home from work!

Btw, she has a Macbook pro with "Balance" sound card.
She will be using headphones so that will be no problem.

Just curious, what is this "karaoke-function" called in terms of studio talk? In case I need to google it some more on my own.

normen 2013-01-02 13:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnowFall (Post 1210862)
Just curious, what is this "karaoke-function" called in terms of studio talk? In case I need to google it some more on my own.

Hifi stereo systems that have this function usually just cancel out the mid signal. There is a M/S decoder/encoder preset in Reasons effects list I think, you should be able to lower the mids volumes with that.

jengstrom 2013-01-02 13:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnowFall (Post 1210862)
Btw, she has a Macbook pro with "Balance" sound card.
She will be using headphones so that will be no problem.

I think what you are asking for is just "monitoring with effects." To hear the mic signal with effects added by Reason. A bonus is that you can just hit the record button if you want it recorded, and the effects are not recorded along, so you can change the effects afterwards.

This is not related to karaoke in itself, but advanced karaoke-systems have effects and cancellation of mic feedback in its features for monitoring.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nhansen (Post 1210865)
Hifi stereo systems that have this function usually just cancel out the mid signal. There is a M/S decoder/encoder preset in Reasons effects list I think, you should be able to lower the mids volumes with that.

Do you mean some feature to remove the voice from a song, to allow karaoke singing over regular released songs? Or maybe you mean some ducking effect?

It can be done, but voice removal is always imperfect.

normen 2013-01-02 13:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by jengstrom (Post 1210871)
Do you mean some feature to remove the voice from a song, to allow karaoke singing over regular released songs? Or maybe you mean some ducking effect?

Yes, a "karaoke" or "voice remove" button on the device. The simple ones I know from e.g. HiFi amps and some karaoke mixers do it the way I describe and in the course also remove the bass and snare a lot obviously :)

PsyTale 2013-01-02 13:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnowFall (Post 1210831)
Ok, short story... My gf got this "home studio" from me as a gift, but she is still not happy...girls... =) Her only demand is to be able to sing in the mic and (instantly) hear herself in the speakers with a little bit of reverb or what ever you can do with the voice, like karaoke. We both are totally new to Reason. This must be soo easy to configure I said to her, you can do anything with this "studio"... Now, I have been trying to get it to work, dragging virtual cables on the backside of "the rack"...but no luck. And she is getting on my nerves about this.

Im begging you all pros out there, help me!!!

At least point me to the right direction, Im pretty good with computers...but when it comes to music im a total newbie.

OMG! Best post of 2013 by a milestone! (Yes 2013!!!)..

SnowFall 2013-01-02 15:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by PsyTale (Post 1210875)
OMG! Best post of 2013 by a milestone! (Yes 2013!!!)..

Im glad I could help to set the standard for this forum this year ;-)

SnowFall 2013-01-02 15:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by jengstrom (Post 1210871)
I think what you are asking for is just "monitoring with effects." To hear the mic signal with effects added by Reason. A bonus is that you can just hit the record button if you want it recorded, and the effects are not recorded along, so you can change the effects afterwards.

Spot on, "monitoring with effects" thanks. Read about the recording without effects, sounds great.

Hmm I think I will keep this studio for myself telling her its not working ;-)

3rdFloorSound 2013-01-02 19:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnowFall (Post 1210909)
Spot on, "monitoring with effects" thanks. Read about the recording without effects, sounds great.

Hmm I think I will keep this studio for myself telling her its not working ;-)

Hahaha sounds like you might want to work out some sort of time-share deal :)