Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   General Forum (read only) (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   MIDI Controller Poll? (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=173844)

Cory05 2013-01-03 11:20

MIDI Controller Poll?

hey there just a quickie.

I'm currently researching a decent 25-49key controller for a second keyboard (keyboard 1 is an M-Audio keystation pro 88) to use with reason in a live situation. I have narrowed it down. Anyone shed any light (from experience with the controllers) or put them in order of preference.

1. M-Audio Axiom
2. Novation Impulse
3. Roland A300 Pro

ps. I really would like something with 5 pin MIDI out and an easy way to cycle through transmit channels.
pps. If there is a controller that is not listed here and you think it should, then feel free to reply with the details.

QVprod 2013-01-03 22:34

As as seconed keyboard, id recommend the axiom as it's remote compatible. I use one myself, the screen displays the name of the current selected track which is a plus in my live setup. The impulse might be just as good (also remote compatible I think) and the automap feature would be probaby be better than m-audio's direct-link since you can use it to map Re's and save the mapping, but I've never used it so I can't say for sure. The roland however doesn't automatically map in Reason and so you would have to map everything manually.

My axiom is the 49 version (more flexible for me as I sometimes play brass octaves) but since you have the keystation pro 88 if you aren't doing much movement with the 2nd board 25 might be enough for you.

nickmorgan19457 2013-01-03 23:47

I haven't yet had the chance to try it, but I've been eying and reading reviews for the Nektar Panorama.
I've owned an M-Audio Keystation 61sl for about 3 years and wouldn't recommend it to anyone. The USB port is broken, they keybed is noisy enough for me to care, and I've lost all velocity on the D above middle-C. I don't know if this is a problem with all M-Audio keyboards, but I won't be buying anything of theirs any time soon.

colcifer 2013-01-04 00:06

I have a keyrig. I'd go M-Audio again but only if it were free.

smeenz 2013-01-04 01:15

I use the Axiom Pro61 - built like a tank. Keys feel nice and weighty and nothing feels likes its going to snap off. The Hypercontrol is brilliant in Reason - just turn it on and everything works. Possibly one of the bad sides is it IS so heavy and sturdy - can be a pain to move around the studio if you only need it once in a while to play in some MIDI. If you have it set up as you're main keyboard, no problems.

Cory05 2013-01-06 13:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by nickmorgan19457 (Post 1211870)
... reading reviews for the Nektar Panorama...

... I don't know if this is a problem with all M-Audio keyboards, but I won't be buying anything of theirs any time soon.

yeah. after posting this i discovered the nektar panorama. now my gear lust is starting to take hold, although i did tell my supplier Im purchasing Feb-Mar... ;)

Cory05 2013-01-06 13:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by QVprod (Post 1211829)
As as seconed keyboard, id recommend the axiom as it's remote compatible.... The impulse might be just as good (also remote compatible I think) and the automap feature would be probaby be better than m-audio's direct-link since you can use it to map Re's and save the mapping... The roland however doesn't automatically map in Reason and so you would have to map everything manually.

My axiom is the 49 version (more flexible for me as I sometimes play brass octaves) but since you have the keystation pro 88 if you aren't doing much movement with the 2nd board 25 might be enough for you.

All very good points. I appreciate your feedback.

Cory05 2013-01-06 13:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by smeenz (Post 1211929)
I use the Axiom Pro61 - built like a tank. Keys feel nice and weighty and nothing feels likes its going to snap off. The Hypercontrol is brilliant in Reason - just turn it on and everything works. Possibly one of the bad sides is it IS so heavy and sturdy - can be a pain to move around the studio if you only need it once in a while to play in some MIDI. If you have it set up as you're main keyboard, no problems.

yeah I'm carting 2 keyboards around alot doing live gigs. I think the nektar panorama is starting to look more feasible as I intend on learning about remixing this year (ie want to do more at home as well). The routing is impressive, Im surprised only now someone has jumped on this idea.

tusun 2013-01-07 00:43

i use two keyboards my favorite is m-audio axiom pro 25 it works great with reason my other one is m-audio key studio very reliable its plain no bells and whistles.

PsyTale 2013-01-07 00:56

You did consider the panorama p4?!