Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   General Forum (read only) (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Copying pattern to track kills dynamics!! (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=173962)

Nativebon 2013-01-05 16:17

Copying pattern to track kills dynamics!!

Just noticed something when copy loops to track with Redrum. When playing loops direct with the redrum the loops sound dynamic & opened, but as soon as I copy the loop to track, the loop sounds compressed & lifeless. I opened the same very project & play one direct from redrum & played the other loop Copied to track. When I played the copy to track project all things being equal the copy to track version was so dull & lacked dynamics. The difference is night & day...

Please has anyone noticed this at all & is there any reason why this is happening.

Thanx for any input.

PsyTale 2013-01-05 16:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nativebon (Post 1212827)
Just noticed something when copy loops to track with Redrum. When playing loops direct with the redrum the loops sound dynamic & opened, but as soon as I copy the loop to track, the loop sounds compressed & lifeless. I opened the same very project & play one direct from redrum & played the other loop Copied to track. When I played the copy to track project all things being equal the copy to track version was so dull & lacked dynamics. The difference is night & day...

Please has anyone noticed this at all & is there any reason why this is happening.

Thanx for any input.

You need to disable the pattern autoplaying in the device, otherwise it will play 2 instances and thus get the result you describe.

Nativebon 2013-01-05 16:29

yes I have disabled it. But for some reason the copy to track version does not sound the same.

PsyTale 2013-01-05 16:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nativebon (Post 1212838)
yes I have disabled it. But for some reason the copy to track version does not sound the same.

What exactly is wrong then? Did yuo look if the velocity is the same?

Nativebon 2013-01-05 16:51

Both projects are the very same apart from one playing from redrum & one playing copied to track. Thats the only difference. I dn't know if i have to change the velocity on the track lane or something of that nature. Still cn't workout why the change in sound when copied to tracked

Grumbleweed 2013-01-05 17:54

If you have the Decay/Gate switches (the vertical sliding switch in each channel) set to the square shape (gate) it will make a difference when the pattern is copied to the track.
This is the only reason I can come up with!

Grum.

Nativebon 2013-01-05 22:40

ok will try this tomorrow & report back..
Thanx

Benedict 2013-01-06 02:18

Hi

How did this go. Not that I have done this much but I have checked and ReDrum (and other) sequences copy exactly as played, velocity etc so they should sound the same so long as there isn't some other factor introducing something that wasn't there before.

Have you checked to see if Groove settings have been altered or doubled-up in the change of sequencers?

Otherwise I'd think it was psychological as it does seem more exciting to have patters trigger on a ReDrum than from a boring old MIDI track LOL Maybe try rendering both Loops and then popping them into a player or wave editor to see if they seem the same. Even play at the same time with Phases swapped to see if they cancel.

:)

Nativebon 2013-01-07 13:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grumbleweed (Post 1212901)
If you have the Decay/Gate switches (the vertical sliding switch in each channel) set to the square shape (gate) it will make a difference when the pattern is copied to the track.
This is the only reason I can come up with!

Grum.

You were very right that was what was cutting out the decay of the snare on the loop track version. (The square shape gate).. Thanx very much.

Grumbleweed 2013-01-07 13:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nativebon (Post 1213760)
You were very right that was what was cutting out the decay of the snare on the loop track version. (The square shape gate).. Thanx very much.

Glad to help :).

Grum.