Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   General Forum (read only) (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   youtube monetization (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=174206)

shawntheus 2013-01-10 03:02

youtube monetization

Ok, so today i got a email saying that i was unable to use Reason for my music as the background music in my video. This is the understanding i got. They rejected my monetization.

My question is or i thought you could use reason to make music for commercial use?

I used my own sounds, beats, and music composition. (abstract recordings from my laptop mic).

Unless i am missing something, is there a way to prove that my music is my original works?

Thanks for reading...
Uni_FreQ

MayorMcCheese 2013-01-10 03:14

This issue has come up here several times before and I recall that EditEd4TV had a good post about it. If no one replies within a couple of days, you may want to PM Ed. He's the finest of fine fellows. The bottom line is that you’re OK by being a Reason owner but YouTube is being conscientious and cautious since they deal with everything under the sun. As I recall, everything works out as long as you know what “sentence to say” to them.

And welcome to the forums!

EnochLight 2013-01-10 05:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by shawntheus (Post 1215645)
Ok, so today i got a email saying that i was unable to use Reason for my music as the background music in my video.

Not to sound snarky, but this makes absolutely no sense. How can they say what instruments you are allowed to use (or in this case, what DAW you use)???! How would anyone even know that you use Reason to write unless you told them anyway?

There are plenty of bands that I like and I have no idea what synths, guitars, or DAWs they use...

shawntheus 2013-01-10 06:11

thank you for replying, yes now i see the posts on the bottom about youtube ( did try to do a search but came up with no results, which proves i dont post much or use forums hehe.)

anyway, just recently i have been getting the notices, oh well, its one less process i need to do...

laters
Uni_FreQ

shawntheus 2013-01-10 06:23

Thanks for the reply,
yes i did tell them what programs i used to make my videos, they seemed to be more concerned about my music, so i described my process about using reason. They wanted some form of written consent to use the program or legal stuff stating that i had the right to use it...

either way, its all good.

oh and awesome music EnochLight or nympheas (listening on soundcloud as i reply)

Later
Uni_FreQ

3rdFloorSound 2013-01-10 14:16

Your forum memory never ceases to amaze me McCheese
Heh, almost felt like Biff there for a second, "you in there McFly?!"
https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/...d.php?t=154633

zeebot 2013-01-10 14:18

I would email them and ask them to look again at your content. Youtube uses some algorithm that scans sound on video and tries to match it to copyrighted material.
Seems it has mistaken your own composition for copyrighted content.
Its an automatic thing so get a youtube drone to physically look and access your vid and you should be good to go.

Ask for an apology too...hey why not. :)

koma7 2013-01-10 14:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by zeebot (Post 1215812)
Ask for an apology too...hey why not. :)

+1

Definitely get an apology, this is just unacceptable and shocking behaviour IMO from YouTube. I understand them wanting to uphold the copyright laws of musicians and other content, but to treat musicians like this is just insane, they need to get it together or their critics will only begin to get worse.

MayorMcCheese 2013-01-10 15:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3rdFloorSound (Post 1215810)

3rdFloor - Your mental and physical database for this place is what amazes me!

shawntheus – The link that 3rdFloor gives in Post #6 is the thread with EditEd’s post that I mentioned. The whole thread is worth reading and here’s an excerpt from Ed’s post (by “they” he means YouTube):

“.. If "they" say you do not have authorization to use the music you created using Reason, tell "them" to specifically show you how you're violating the EULA. I can guarantee you 100% they're wrong. Sounds like they may be looking for a way to squeeze you out of any monetization.”

EnochLight 2013-01-10 15:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by shawntheus (Post 1215703)
oh and awesome music EnochLight or nympheas (listening on soundcloud as i reply)

Later
Uni_FreQ

Thanks man; much appreciated!