Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   General Forum (read only) (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Reason 7 Memory Requirements (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=174278)

standbyghost 2013-01-11 04:34

Reason 7 Memory Requirements

I am running Reason 6.5 on a Spring 2011 iMac with 4GB RAM. I obviously need more memory. The question I am dealing with right now is: HOW MUCH MORE? I noticed today that, while finishing a song, the DSP bars were up around 4. If I want to keep up the pace for Reason 7 and the possibility of new, exotic REs, how much more memory should I get? 4GB? 8GB? Answers, please!

3rdFloorSound 2013-01-11 04:56

Hell, I'd get what you can afford. From what I've seen, ram is NOT cheap when it comes to macs, but if there's a way for you to get it cheaply I'd bump up to 8 or 16. I'm almost done building my new system right now with 32gb, just in case I want to render a 3d movie while running 5 instances of every rack extension and 30 audio tracks and simultaneously hacking into the pentagon and running Norton security suite.

SteveDiverse 2013-01-11 04:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by standbyghost (Post 1216355)
I am running Reason 6.5 on a Spring 2011 iMac with 4GB RAM. I obviously need more memory. The question I am dealing with right now is: HOW MUCH MORE? I noticed today that, while finishing a song, the DSP bars were up around 4. If I want to keep up the pace for Reason 7 and the possibility of new, exotic REs, how much more memory should I get? 4GB? 8GB? Answers, please!

DSP is CPU, not RAM (memory).

You want/need CPU with multiple core (4) and as fast as possible (2.00GHz minimum, 3.00+ GHz even better).

RAM is also useful for tracks, more audio, samples, etc... and the rule is... as much RAM as you can afford and as your computer can take.

But when it comes to DSP usage, you need processor capacity, and that's mostly down to the CPU (cores and speed).

3rdFloorSound 2013-01-11 05:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveDiverse (Post 1216376)
DSP is CPU, not RAM (memory).

You want/need CPU with multiple core (4) and as fast as possible (2.00GHz minimum, 3.00+ GHz even better).

RAM is also useful for tracks, more audio, samples, etc... and the rule is... as much RAM as you can afford and as your computer can take.

But when it comes to DSP usage, you need processor capacity, and that's mostly down to the CPU (cores and speed).

Hah, leave it to Steve to be right because he tends to read and actually digest the info lol. :P

neoverse 2013-01-11 05:15

Quote:

I have the exact same model as you with 8 Gb of ram. Antidote absolutely crushes the CPU after a few instances. I ordered the new 27 inch imac. I'm quite sure it will be fast enough to run any version of reason.

3rdFloorSound 2013-01-11 05:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by neoverse (Post 1216383)
I have the exact same model as you with 8 Gb of ram. Antidote absolutely crushes the CPU after a few instances. I ordered the new 27 inch imac. I'm quite sure it will be fast enough to run any version of reason.

Holy crap, that still hasn't shown up yet? It seems like it was 3 weeks ago we were talking about it on facebook and it's been a long time since the standard was "allow 6 - 8 weeks for delivery."

neoverse 2013-01-11 05:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3rdFloorSound (Post 1216393)
Holy crap, that still hasn't shown up yet? It seems like it was 3 weeks ago we were talking about it on facebook and it's been a long time since the standard was "allow 6 - 8 weeks for delivery."

Yeah. It's feb now I hear

3rdFloorSound 2013-01-11 16:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by neoverse (Post 1216406)
Yeah. It's feb now I hear

Oh damn, that sucks. My system is delayed right now too: My local tech sort of person ordered a close (but wrong) video card and the motherboard shipped with a broken pin in the front panel usb 3.0 connection. :P I noticed after the build was done on Tuesday. So, waiting on replacements.

RXTX 2013-01-11 16:52

Quote:

To see whether you actually need a RAM upgrade, check the Activity Monitor while Reason is running. It will tell you exactly how much of your 4GB of RAM is being used.

..or just listen to your hard drive. A tell-tale sign you need a RAM upgrade is constant hard drive thrashing (once the computer runs out of RAM, it begins dumping memory to the hard drive instead - which is, of course, thousands times slower, and massively degrades the overall performance).

n0ahg 2013-01-11 19:21

RAM is really cheap these days so I personally wouldn't have a computer with less than 8GB now and it's worth buying good memory such as crucial (micron) http://www.crucial.com/uk/

I remember paying £115 for 1/2 MB RAM upgrade for my Amiga A500!