Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   Music Forum (read only) (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Raymond's Drum Machine (Silly jungle) (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=174620)

hamst3rf1sh 2013-01-17 05:00

Raymond's Drum Machine (Silly jungle)
 
Loading SoundCloud…


Still go a lot of mastering to do on this one but I'm intrigued to find out what peoples thoughts are. This is a lot more frenetic than my usual fare and I don't really have any sense as to whether I've pulled it off at all.

Your feedback would be appreciated.

p.s word of warning: this is an attempt at the more twisted squarepusher end of jungle so it probably wont be for everyone.

rVOLT 2013-01-17 15:53

..........

hamst3rf1sh 2013-01-18 00:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by rvolt (Post 1221052)
..........

Cheers :) Any tips for mastering it at all?

rVOLT 2013-01-18 01:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by hamst3rf1sh (Post 1221423)
Cheers :) Any tips for mastering it at all?

Well... The thing that helped me more than any tutorial online was getting good studio monitors. You really can't effetely mix until you can actually hear your sounds for what they are. Once I switched to KRK, everything changed. =) I'm not the greatest at mixing anyway.

hamst3rf1sh 2013-01-18 02:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by rvolt (Post 1221445)
Well... The thing that helped me more than any tutorial online was getting good studio monitors. You really can't effetely mix until you can actually hear your sounds for what they are. Once I switched to KRK, everything changed. =) I'm not the greatest at mixing anyway.

That's definitely something I'll have a look into. I've just been playing my mixes back through different speaker systems/headphones to try and gauge shat aspects need work... probably is a perversely complicated way of doing things.

Thanks

carlgrace 2013-01-18 04:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by hamst3rf1sh (Post 1221465)
That's definitely something I'll have a look into. I've just been playing my mixes back through different speaker systems/headphones to try and gauge shat aspects need work... probably is a perversely complicated way of doing things.

Thanks

This is really quite cool!

I like around 1:20 or so when it starts losing control. Awesome bassline.

hamst3rf1sh 2013-01-18 11:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by carlgrace (Post 1221514)
This is really quite cool!

I like around 1:20 or so when it starts losing control. Awesome bassline.

Thanks a lot! It's ironic with this kind of stuff that when the sound loses control as it were, that's the bit that takes you hours to program. I'm pretty relieved that you don't think it's unlistenable to be honest :P

carlgrace 2013-01-18 18:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by hamst3rf1sh (Post 1221619)
Thanks a lot! It's ironic with this kind of stuff that when the sound loses control as it were, that's the bit that takes you hours to program. I'm pretty relieved that you don't think it's unlistenable to be honest :P

Believe me I understand that.

It's like in songwriting. The simplest songs are by far the hardest to right.

It was quite listenable... I used to love Jungle music in the mid-90s (before it was called Drum N Bass). I remember the old Future Music CDs often had Jungle drum loops that I would try to use in my Synthpop (and sometimes succeeded!)

hamst3rf1sh 2013-01-18 18:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by carlgrace (Post 1221918)
Believe me I understand that.

It's like in songwriting. The simplest songs are by far the hardest to right.

It was quite listenable... I used to love Jungle music in the mid-90s (before it was called Drum N Bass). I remember the old Future Music CDs often had Jungle drum loops that I would try to use in my Synthpop (and sometimes succeeded!)

Any tracks of yours you can point me to in that regard? I must say I'm quite intrigued.

I often wish I'd been old enough to enjoy the rise of rave culture in the 80s and 90s. Seems like the whole scene would be far more exciting than it is now (of course there are still a few geniuses out there pushing the envelope), witnessing the genesis of Aphex, Orbital Autechre etc. would have been fantastic.

It's never easy to predict which tracks are going to be a chore to produce. Most of my best stuff has taken no more than a day or two to get down - conversely my hard drive is full of unlistenable crap that I've spent weeks working on. Inspiration makes all the difference!

carlgrace 2013-01-18 18:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by hamst3rf1sh (Post 1221926)
Any tracks of yours you can point me to in that regard? I must say I'm quite intrigued.

I often wish I'd been old enough to enjoy the rise of rave culture in the 80s and 90s. Seems like the whole scene would be far more exciting than it is now (of course there are still a few geniuses out there pushing the envelope), witnessing the genesis of Aphex, Orbital Autechre etc. would have been fantastic.

It's never easy to predict which tracks are going to be a chore to produce. Most of my best stuff has taken no more than a day or two to get down - conversely my hard drive is full of unlistenable crap that I've spent weeks working on. Inspiration makes all the difference!

I always thought rave culture seemed much more exciting in the UK. On my side of the pond it was a lot of fun but we mixed a lot of UK records (808 State, Altern 8, and the like) with some of our own Chicago and Detroit stuff (Richard Saunderson or whatever his name was). We had good fun but I think we were kind of ape-ing UK culture haha.

As for the synthpop I don't have anything that I did in that era online but if you really are interested I'd be happy to email you a couple of tracks. PM me your address and I'll send them on. One of the tracks I'm really proud of. It's a version of an old English lute song by John Dowland. I performed it live a couple of times (no guitars and no live drums so it was just me on stage)... sounded great. The album it was on is Loooooonng out of print so no worries sending you the track.

Carl


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 04:11.