Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   Music Forum (read only) (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Mixing Help (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=174662)

danicest 2013-01-18 00:17

Mixing Help

What can I do to make this clearer and punchier within the boundaries of Reason 6.5?
Loading SoundCloud…

carlgrace 2013-01-18 00:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by danicest (Post 1221406)
What can I do to make this clearer and punchier within the boundaries of Reason 6.5?
Loading SoundCloud…

Get Mixing Secrets of the Small Studio by Mike Senior (it's on Amazon). Brilliant book and after you read it you will be MUCH better at mixing. It helped me immensely. I'm not saying I'm great but I'm a lot better than I was before I read that book.

Kisai2 2013-01-18 00:46

Mainly EQing.

I usually high pass everything except the kick and bass/sub bass. I usually set my cutoff on my high pass at about 35-40hz on the kick and 30hz on the sub. Usually you can cut around 250hz on the kick (But this really depends on the kick itself and you might need to tweak it and listen to it and see where YOU think it sounds good.) and maybe boost anywhere around 2.5khz - 5khz to make it punchier. For the snare I usually boost around 250hz (just a bit) and then I sweep the freqs and listen for spots that I feel may add or take away from my sound. The rest of the instruments are really up to you. *NOTE* That cutting frequencies can make your sounds clearer, and if you boost you add character to your sound. When I do any type of EQing (Cutting or adding) I usually only do it by a couple of db. I never usually do any EXTREME cutting or adding. The most I will ever boost something is 6db. To me anything higher than that is a little over-excessive, but like I said it really all depends on the person and the sounds you're mixing.

Hope this helps a little bit :)

dbragz 2013-01-18 01:17

I agree with everything Kisai2 said. It's important to lowpass a lot of the very low frequencies so they don't build up mud. Lately I'm even filtering out the lows on effect returns. For drums, I think parrallel compression can help. But be sure to not overcompress (overcompression will make things sound small). From a production element, you choose to layer maybe 2-3 kicks and bring out different frequencies according to the sound (one that carries the lower energy, and maybe another that brings out the mids to high frequencies. For the snare, the same thing. If you use one snare, you can put it on 2 tracks. On the first one, bring out the highs and the mids according to taste and the other track, bring out anywhere from 200-300 kz for the punch and blend both to taste. Every song requires different attention do the frequency spectrum but these are good starting points. Also, it sounds like you are using a lot of reverb. If you are mixing on standard headphones or an untreated room, it might be hard to find the right mix of effects and bass

danicest 2013-01-19 17:36

I'll check that out, thanks

danicest 2013-01-19 17:38

would you be willing to take a look at the project if I find a way to post it, and what's the simplest way for me to post the project file?

Kisai2 2013-01-19 18:04

You should be able to just post up the reason song file.

TreasonLaw 2013-01-19 18:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by danicest (Post 1222527)
would you be willing to take a look at the project if I find a way to post it, and what's the simplest way for me to post the project file?

on reply or new thread window, scroll down to "manage attachments" where you can add a "zip" file of the reason file. The limit is only a few Megabytes so if it is larger than that you will need to upload it to a cloud service and post a link.

danicest 2013-01-20 00:17

dropboxed reason file it's like 100-something mbs

Soulspeed 2013-01-20 02:24

yes, you need to learn what every knob on the mixer does basically...when to use compression and when not...alot of times ill duplicate a drum loop or sample to make it louder and use one for the low punchyness and one for for the mid to highs....mess around with the knobs while you have the loop singled out...and if you have the cpu power, single out most parts singularly in either Redrum or Kong, always have an EQ (above the Kong if you use it)...and if you use Redrum....take each drum part into the 14 line mixer seperately and use your "send EFX" area to the right on the mixer to put in reverb, flanger, chorus , delay etc